Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jersey City VS New Orleans
Jersey City 51 48.11%
New Orleans 55 51.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
That goes for both.
NO or the NJ Metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Oh, I know that all the boroughs have *some* things to see. Just not that much compared to Manhattan. I was born in an outer borough and lived there until age 7. All my family is still there. Just like you get annoyed when people say that, *I* get annoyed when people say the same thing about NJ. And I don't think any more people visit Queens just to visit Queens, than people visit Jersey City just to visit Jersey City. They are both in the same boat...there ain't that many people visiting either place just to see that place.

OK, but you are WAY off on the proximity thing. I live closer to Manhattan than I'd say about 75% of outer borough residents. Look at a map. I'm as close to Manhattan as Brooklyn Heights. So I'm way closer to Manhattan than most people in Brooklyn, most people in Queens, most people in the Bronx, and EVERYONE in Staten Island. Where do you live in the Bronx? I can be in midtown Manhattan in 15 minutes...how long does it take you by Subway?

GWB? I never cross that thing. I take the Path (NJ subway...and it's cheaper than NYC subway)...$1.75 each way.
I just listed things that queens has. Its probably more things to do in queens than jersey city. Theres over 2 million ppl in queens same thing with brooklyn. Queens is not just a stopover for people who want to see manhattan

Again with the proximity thing. First off Jc feels nothing like any of the boroughs no matter how close it is. And again how newyork" something is doesnt depend on how close it is to manhattan. Coney island is further, but its in new york and is about as new york as it gets. Jersey city is in New Jersey and not comparable to the other boroughs

And that is not an official definition John. Outer. out of what? Manhattan? New york city is five boroughs

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Yes, they do call Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island the "outer boroughs", because the hubub of NYC is Manhattan. Where is Gracie Mansion? In Queens?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:58 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Though there are tongue-in-cheek discussions of what the "sixth borough" is, and the answer is oftentimes jersey.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yes, they do call Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island the "outer boroughs", because the hubub of NYC is Manhattan. Where is Gracie Mansion? In Queens?
First time i heard that was on these forums. People actually from new york dont say this. What are they supposed to be out of?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Born and raised in Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
First time i heard that was on these forums. People actually from new york dont say this. What are they supposed to be out of?
Lived in NY for 58 years. I grew up hearing this. "Out" from Manhattan. Maybe they are trying to be more "politically correct" these days to not offend people? I don't know.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
that's what i was going to say. why is manhattan in "new york county"?
face it, i love the other boroughs too, but everyone around the world visitis nyc for manhattan. people venture out to flushing for tennis or the bronx for yankee games, or sit on the subway for 50 mins to get to coney island, etc.......

manhattan is the big show. surely you knew that!

ok, end of threadjack.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,850,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Though there are tongue-in-cheek discussions of what the "sixth borough" is, and the answer is oftentimes jersey.
I like Jersey, but I disagree with that answer. I would consider it to be Yonkers if there was one.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,491,914 times

Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,275,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I just listed things that queens has. Its probably more things to do in queens than jersey city. Theres over 2 million ppl in queens same thing with brooklyn. Queens is not just a stopover for people who want to see manhattan

Again with the proximity thing. First off Jc feels nothing like any of the boroughs no matter how close it is. And again how newyork" something is doesnt depend on how close it is to manhattan. Coney island is further, but its in new york and is about as new york as it gets. Jersey city is in New Jersey and not comparable to the other boroughs

And that is not an official definition John. Outer. out of what? Manhattan? New york city is five boroughs
We've had this discussion before. It's all in your head, because when you're in Jersey City, you are aware of the fact that you're in another state. Fact is, Jersey City has more of a NYC feel than MANY (most?) parts of Queens, especially the more suburban spots. What about Howard Beach makes you feel like you're in NYC...or ANY city for that matter? It's the burbs. Where in Staten Island does one feel like they're in any city, let alone NYC? At least in Jersey City you feel like you're in a city. This is because it's closer to manhattan than the outer stretches of the boroughs. Urbanization spreads out...the further you are from a city's center, or "downtown", the more suburbanized it gets. Jersey City is not "trying" to be anything it's not. But it has a very brownstoney, NYC look to it. Quite frankly, it looks very much like the more historic parts of Brooklyn.

I think you are exemplifying the NY attitude. This is why many of us can't stand you guys. You honestly and truly think the world revolves around you.

And the Bronx? Please. At the very least, I can say that my neighborhood in JERSEY CITY is much more desirable from a real estate perspective than your neighborhood is. But, you're in the REAL NYC, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City