Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 11:42 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
As far as city limits goes, Atlanta has more Fortune 500 companies than Chicago this year, not last year or the year before and etc. Just checked the Fortune 500 for 2022, and the city of Atlanta hosts one more company over Chicago. As far as metro areas, it's possible that Chicagoland has more Fortune 500 companies than Metro Atlanta, considering that Chicagoland is a much bigger area than Metro Atlanta plus there are more companies that are based in the Chicago suburbs like Allstate & Abbott, but when it comes to companies based in the incorporated city limits, Atlanta has Chicago beat in that department!
And...? What is this super selective piece of information trying to prove?

Per a quick search (small margin of error), metro Chicago has ~35 Fortune 500s and metro Atlanta has ~17. And the gap is even wider for Fortune 1000. That is all I need to know...

Last edited by cpomp; 12-24-2022 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 12:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,816,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Per a quick search (small margin of error), metro Chicago has ~35 Fortune 500s and metro Atlanta has ~17. And the gap is even wider for Fortune 1000. That is all I need to know...
Yeah it's kinda silly trying to compare Atlanta to Chicago on F500s.

Chicago is a solid second. Not even the Texas cities compare

Old 12-24-2022, 05:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
I'd love to see a list of Canadian cities and how it compares to American counterparts.
I can put something together, but i'm not really feeling these lists as they are quite arbitrary. They don't factor a more complete picture of international connectivity as they exclude N.A Carriers or only factor in the higher end of long haul to ultra long haul international connectivity. That said, let me know what type of list you are looking for and I can piece them together for you. I already did YYZ based on Montclair's Foriegn Flag non N.A city paring list which is placed 5th after NYC airports, LAX, SFO and MIA (I can do YUL, YVR and YYC if you want) For me, as i've mentioned in posts back, it is most useful looking at a host city and the international city parings it is connected to regardless of Airline ie Air Canada connecting YUL to CMN is just as valid as a RAM connection YUL/CMN, however if both airlines serve the same paring - it would only count as 1 Int paring not two.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-24-2022 at 06:32 PM..

Old 12-24-2022, 05:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,928,467 times
All this Fortune 500 talk.

Great for employment rate. But the VAST majority of HQ employees of Fortune 500 make lower than average wages. There’s an argument to be made against a large corporate presence, and prosperity of an area.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:24 PM

553 posts, read 410,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Thanks for the info. I knew something had to be cherry-picked there as there's no way Atlanta had surpassed Chicago over a year. Typically no one ever compares city proper with Atlanta and Chicago but if it works for a certain narrative I guess it's fitting.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:59 PM

837 posts, read 856,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All this Fortune 500 talk.

Great for employment rate. But the VAST majority of HQ employees of Fortune 500 make lower than average wages. There’s an argument to be made against a large corporate presence, and prosperity of an area.
Are you suggesting that people either get higher wages or starve due to the lack of Fortune 500 companies? I'd rather see people getting something out of a job, and if they want to move forward, they can leave the company and start their own business. But taxes and wages is really what the state and federal governments should be doing and inflation is basically the bane of this current economy right now!

Old 12-26-2022, 05:55 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Thanks for the info. I knew something had to be cherry-picked there as there's no way Atlanta had surpassed Chicago over a year. Typically no one ever compares city proper with Atlanta and Chicago but if it works for a certain narrative I guess it's fitting.
What does this mean? Why is comparing city propers of 2 major cities not appropriate? It seems that you are the one flipping the criteria/comparison to fit your narrative in this case.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:04 AM

260 posts, read 161,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
What does this mean? Why is comparing city propers of 2 major cities not appropriate? It seems that you are the one flipping the criteria/comparison to fit your narrative in this case.
I hope I'm speaking for the OP here, but when comparing F500 companies, why wouldn't you compare the MSA instead of city proper? It's not like the city is walled off and only residents of the city proper work for each F500 company.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:52 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I hope I'm speaking for the OP here, but when comparing F500 companies, why wouldn't you compare the MSA instead of city proper? It's not like the city is walled off and only residents of the city proper work for each F500 company.
That's not what I was getting at. I think both metrics are perfectly fine for comparisons. But to accuse someone of using city-proper numbers to fit their argument is a little disingenuous. The opposite would be true too..if someone wants to present stats by MSA, that is fine and shouldn't be discredited.

On this site people flip flop back and forth between different statistics to fit their argument.

Why can't we present both facts (city proper and MSA) to get the full picture? How is using city-proper statistics any less valid and being used to “fit an argument?” This is “city vs city” isn’t it???

Last edited by personone; 12-26-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-26-2022, 09:18 AM

260 posts, read 161,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
That's not what I was getting at. I think both metrics are perfectly fine for comparisons. But to accuse someone of using city-proper numbers to fit their argument is a little disingenuous. The opposite would be true too..if someone wants to present stats by MSA, that is fine and shouldn't be discredited.

On this site people flip flop back and forth between different statistics to fit their argument.

Why can't we present both facts (city proper and MSA) to get the full picture? How is using city-proper statistics any less valid and being used to “fit an argument?” This is “city vs city” isn’t it???
There's exceptions to the rule, but point blank, city propers vary as discussed ad nauseam on this forum. While there's still issues with MSAs, they at least attempt to standardize the field.

So yes, if Atlanta has 15 F500 companies within city limits and places it second in the US, it's true. But cities act as regions, and that would heavily work against Chicago in this case. So yes, both can be true. But one case can be more accepted than the other.

I can completely see why this would create a different narrative and thus why the OP you responded to would say it fits someone's narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City