Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities has more friendlier people, less snobbier people, and less mean people?
Phoenix, AZ 34 39.53%
Denver, CO 11 12.79%
Salt Lake City, UT 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 11:41 PM

579 posts, read 513,030 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake by far. PHX has some real A-Holes and Denver has been over run with transplants who bring rude hometown habits with them.

Salt Lake is just chill, low key, and under the radar. Like a Sacramento, San Antonio or Indianapolis. Just another 3rd rate metro with nothing to prove, just doing it's thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 12:31 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue38 View Post
Come on now. The snow absolutely sticks, except on certain warmer days in late spring or early fall. It also doesn't always melt the next day, which you read a lot on this forum.
It depends on how much it snows. If it snows a foot obviously it’s going to take more time to melt. But the snow does usually melt pretty fast. Perhaps you haven’t lived where it snows and stays on the ground all Winter?

Old 05-31-2021, 08:45 AM

94 posts, read 184,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It depends on how much it snows. If it snows a foot obviously it’s going to take more time to melt. But the snow does usually melt pretty fast. Perhaps you haven’t lived where it snows and stays on the ground all Winter?
I'm from the Midwest originally so I know all about snow being on the ground for long periods of time. There is a difference on snow melting quickly and not sticking at all. The commenter said "The snow definitely doesn't stick. It does melt instantly during the day". Simply not true. Yes Denver snow tends to melt quicker than snow in the Midwest or Northeast, but to say it doesn't stick would imply it melts as it hits the ground.

Not sure why Denver people want to over-exaggerate the weather. It is a nice place to live, the weather is good much of the time, but it does get occasional snow from Oct-May, sometimes heavy, with mild and cold days mixed in. The last 2.5 months have not been great here, but that's a bit unusual. Denver weather is not perfect, like some people want to suggest, but I would take it over many area's of the Midwest and Northeast.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:28 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Come on now. The snow absolutely sticks, except on certain warmer days in late spring or early fall. It also doesn't always melt the next day, which you read a lot on this forum.
It melts during winter too, there are days where the snow is gone by 3pm (roadways that is). No it doesn't always melt but I find it happens to be gone rather quickly and usually in one day
Quote:
I'm from the Midwest originally so I know all about snow being on the ground for long periods of time. There is a difference on snow melting quickly and not sticking at all. The commenter said "The snow definitely doesn't stick. It does melt instantly during the day". Simply not true. Yes Denver snow tends to melt quicker than snow in the Midwest or Northeast, but to say it doesn't stick would imply it melts as it hits the ground.

Not sure why Denver people want to over-exaggerate the weather. It is a nice place to live, the weather is good much of the time, but it does get occasional snow from Oct-May, sometimes heavy, with mild and cold days mixed in. The last 2.5 months have not been great here, but that's a bit unusual. Denver weather is not perfect, like some people want to suggest, but I would take it over many area's of the Midwest and Northeast.
No, I think to say it melts quickly is to say that snow isn't covering the streets for a week straight. Nothing is perfect but it's also not Duluth like some people allude to.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Quote:

Isolation syndrome for lack of a better term.
Isolated areas always exaggerate things, especially weather. If Los Angeles was two hours from Denver, denverites would not hype up their weather as much as they do(but CO has lots of CA transplants..blah blah. Stop, I don't want to hear it. You know I'm being truthful)

Moving to somewhere isolated, don't ask the locals, check weather data, instead.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaCountyResident View Post
So it appears Colorado Springs is in fact friendlier than Denver. Just hearing this makes me really want to take a trip to Colorado to experience both cities. I'd say Denver is probably prettier as a city because it's bigger and much more to do. Colorado Springs seems rather boring. I've only connected in both airports in the past. The Colorado Springs Airport is super small. It seemed a lot more localized than Denver Airport.

Phoenix does tend to have a more Midwestern lifestyle. Tucson has more of the Southern California lifestyle and the Northeast lifestyle. I'm going to Pennsylvania and Washington DC this summer, so I'll let you know how Allentown, Philadelphia, and Washington DC compare to Tucson. I have a good feeling Philadelphia will very much remind me of Tucson, but I could be wrong. I also have a feeling Allentown will be super down to earth too, but could also be wrong again. Never been to either. I've been to Washington DC, but that was back in 2006. I was barely a teenager at the time.

Phoenix does very much feel more midwestern than it does Californian. It feels like Minneapolis, but as if it were in the southwest.

Colo Spgs has always been a tourist destination for all of its existence. For decades it was a major technology hub drawing residents from both coasts. Additionally, the high military percentage in the city create a somewhat transient population that rotate through on duty stations. As a result if these variables, COS tends to come across as fairly friendly as a very high percentage of the population you will meet here is not from here but is often happy to be here, and tends to be welcoming to others coming in because they were once newcomers themselves.

Whether Cos or Denver is prettier, it depends on your definition and certainly is not reflective of metro or airport size. Denver is definitely a big city with high rise buildings, urban areas and is surrounding by rambling suburbs and other small, attached cities, COS is not. COS is pressed right up against the mountains, Denver is not. In central COS there are wildland parks that are full of native vegetation and semi-secluded trails. Much construction in COS is deliberately done to allow views. Denver is a capital city which tends to draw a broad mix of industry and employment, COS is not.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:25 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Salt Lake by far. PHX has some real A-Holes and Denver has been over run with transplants who bring rude hometown habits with them.

Salt Lake is just chill, low key, and under the radar. Like a Sacramento, San Antonio or Indianapolis. Just another 3rd rate metro with nothing to prove, just doing it's thing.
I wouldn't describe Phoenix people to be snobby but rather the gun slinging thinking they still still live in the old wild west type, and aggressive about their political views and abrasive while anyone who is offended by them are snowflakes. Similar to those types we have the rural South or Upper Midwest, or even parts of inland California.

I'm not familiar with Denver but I imagine the culture to be similar to Seattle or Portland.

My guess is SLC as well.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:52 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
How many people here have visited long enough to get a handle on the vibe of the people of each city, or actually lived in each of these cities?

How many people in this thread are just guessing and relying on stereotypes?

Classic CD stuff here lol.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:52 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
How many people here have visited long enough to get a handle on the vibe of the people of each city, or actually lived in each of these cities?

How many people in this thread are just guessing and relying on stereotypes?

Classic CD stuff here lol.
How many people still think friendliness is determined by geographic location?

Old 06-09-2021, 10:07 AM

94 posts, read 184,525 times
The thread that never ends, but needs to. This subject has been beat to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City