Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is snobbier/less friendly?
Boston 15 55.56%
Seattle 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times

Advertisements

I hear about the 'Seattle Freeze', and that people in Boston can be snobby and it's hard to break the ice with them.

If you've had much experience in either, do you think it's a dead heat or is one a bit more friendly/open/real than the other?

Would you say perhaps Seattle is more reserved yet less snobby, or something like that?

Maybe I should put a positive spin on it. Which city is friendly/less snobby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,543,900 times
People on here always say people in Seattle aren't friendly, but at the same time, I've never had any bad experiences dealing with people there for the most part. It's more so people are reserved. It's different for me perhaps, because I've had a built in network of friends in Seattle since I moved to Portland and started going there frequently. The whole "Seattle Freeze" thing often seems to boil down people who transplant there--and are surprised that other transplants are sort of snobby and that people don't like to stop for random chitcat. Or that people are friendly on the outside but unwilling to invite you into their social circles. But in the case of supposedly unfriendly locals--if you've lived somewhere your whole life on the other hand--you don't need to just befriend random strangers when you've got friends you've known since high school. I just find Seattle to be a more reserved sort of place.

I actually found people in Boston to be very friendly on my trips there. Actually overly helpful--I mean people on several occasion just volunteered help if we were lost or couldn't figure out a ticket machine. Chatted with a bunch of old school Boston types at bars and hockey games and they were fun to shoot the shat with... Last year my girlfriend and I got stuck in Boston for a night coming back from Italy after a late flight caused us to miss our connection and lost our luggage--and despite a crappy situation every we talked to in Boston was sympathetic--even a couple people at a pub bought us beers--which we later repaid the honor by buying a round ourselves. Though I'm just speaking from being a tourist on several trips there--I don't know if it's just where I've ended up in Boston, but I'd say that I've been to plenty of cities that are far less friendly. I just liked the straightforward sense of humor people sort of had about things, there's not a lot of BS...

So, I guess I'd say Seattle is less friendly. Though on the other hand, I'd say a lot of times people's own pre-conceived notions or their own attitudes can play heavily into whether a place comes off as friendly or unfriendly. I mean I always heard New Yorkers weren't friendly before I'd actually been there--but I've always had a great time chatting with people, who wanted to chat--you just accept that not everyone is going to be gregarious and many people just want to ignore everyone else--but that's just part of being in a large city. On the other hand I grew up near San Francisco and I've had to deal with more a-holes in the Bay Area than most places I've lived or travelled to--though it's not as if I don't have tons of friends in the area as well, but once you get down into the weeds of a place, perception can be notably different.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-19-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 PM

96 posts, read 235,042 times
If you can get lucky enough to have a Seattle native make eye contact with you, you may get a smile. That's about it. Not snobby, just very reserved.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,290,541 times
In Seattle, if you're sitting at a bar or something, it's very likely that your neighbor will start talking to you or won't think it's wierd if you start making conversation. This is different from Boston or San Francisco, in my experience. But, it's true that in many cases Seattlites can be reserved. Friendly but reserved, if that makes sense.

Washington State in general has friendly people and they are more outgoing once you leave Seattle. I would say people in Massachussets on the whole are not as friendly. Great people, just keep to themselves more.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,401,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
In Seattle, if you're sitting at a bar or something, it's very likely that your neighbor will start talking to you or won't think it's wierd if you start making conversation. This is different from Boston or San Francisco, in my experience. But, it's true that in many cases Seattlites can be reserved. Friendly but reserved, if that makes sense.

Washington State in general has friendly people and they are more outgoing once you leave Seattle. I would say people in Massachussets on the whole are not as friendly. Great people, just keep to themselves more.
From my experience, I would think Boston. I was so afraid about the Seattle Freeze, but then realize it was overhyped. People I spoke with were friendly, and I engaging in a lot conversation in bars and in the hotel I was at. I guess I understand because I am reserved also and do not need to hang out with people most of the time.

If I can have a friendly conversation with you that is enough for me as I do not like to open myself up to people easily.

I had more friendly conversations in Seattle than I have ever had in a so called overfriendly city like Chicago.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM

96 posts, read 235,042 times
Visitors don't have problems here. If you move here, then you will have problems. Trust me on this one. The Seattle freeze is real. Ask any Native from Seattle and most will tell you that they love the money generated from tourism but not as much as they love it when the tourists leave. Huge difference.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,177,815 times
Boston is more snobby, but friendlier than Seattle.

Actually the snobbery is among the old wealth and descendants of Puritans, not the general population which is quite friendly in Boston.

Or so go the stereotypes.

The upper level professional workplaces in Boston are definitely stiffer, more formal than Seattle. For example programmers, accountants, etc.

To tell you the truth, I never found much difference at all between the two cities in the lower socioeconomic spheres. Ordinary people pretty much the same.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,290,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Boston is more snobby, but friendlier than Seattle.

Actually the snobbery is among the old wealth and descendants of Puritans, not the general population which is quite friendly in Boston.

Or so go the stereotypes.

The upper level professional workplaces in Boston are definitely stiffer, more formal than Seattle. For example programmers, accountants, etc.

To tell you the truth, I never found much difference at all between the two cities in the lower socioeconomic spheres. Ordinary people pretty much the same.
Agreed about the socioeconomic spheres. But I think in general Seattlites are friendly in terms of having conversations with strangers, but are reserved when it comes to revealing much beyond a superficial level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City