Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NE City would work best for middle class black Family?
New York City 49 14.41%
Philadelphia 176 51.76%
Boston 35 10.29%
Providence 10 2.94%
Harrisburg 11 3.24%
Newark 21 6.18%
Wilmington 20 5.88%
Jersey City 18 5.29%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 04:52 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many in NYC go with the many private options within and just outside of the city. For instance, here is a kid from Harlem that went to Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains: https://www.blackwestchester.com/ajani-cornelius/

Good interview, if you have time:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=S8IyQUTckoA&feature=share

It isn’t surprising to find highly diverse/predominantly black private schools in/around NYC. Let alone the charters and magnets.

Again, that is for early grades and that still doesn’t mean that the graduation data isn’t as important. NYC also has great colleges/universities. So, again, I wouldn’t say the difference is that big.
46% of all kids who don't go to BPS but live in Boston are black. They are, by far the largest group of kids who attend suburban charter private or catholic schools within the city.

There are a few highly diverse private schools in the area (tons of private schools in general, too many really) but the Boston charter schools ~2x blacker than the BPS system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIHEec7HQ0M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 05:20 PM

93,172 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In terms of NYC suburbs on the NY side that would fit much of the criteria, I’d say White Plains and parts of New Rochelle for bigger, more urban suburbs. Tuckahoe, Pelham and Nyack for smaller, walkable communities with good schools that have a decent/good mix of students.

There’s also a good set up like on Long Island in terms of living in the portion of the village of Freeport, but in the Baldwin SD(NW Corner of the village, low electric rates btw). https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fr...villagenewyork
https://www.freeportny.gov/
https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/player...tour_rev11_iwd
https://goo.gl/maps/DrB6Wu4znqpfcS5i8

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049578
https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000049578
https://www.baldwinschools.org/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-04-2021 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2021, 07:33 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
You know I should have been more detailed I was in a rush. I was thinking more in terms of MSA but realized I used Jersey cities that would be considered apart of NYC MSA. And yeah I could have added Hartford,CT as well as a few other smaller MSA's.

But if we were looking at MSA then I get the impression that NYC would probably be 1st, Boston 2nd and Philadelphia 3rd. Or no??

Old 01-04-2021, 08:19 PM

93,172 posts, read 123,783,345 times
^It likely depends on who you are talking to, but Philadelphia is likely 2nd and maybe even 1st due to being relatively more affordable. It does have some suburbs like Cheltenham and Abington on the PA side, Bear and Middletown in DE along with a few areas in South Jersey that have good, diverse schools with quite substantial black populations. Parts of West and NW Philadelphia have middle class black neighborhoods as well.

Philadelphia also fits a lot of the other criteria as well.

I will say for the Harrisburg area, Susquehanna Township and parts of the Central Dauphin SD’s would be similar suburban options.

Hartford definitely deserves a mention just on the big black middle class between adjacent suburbs Bloomfield and Windsor, but also quite a few in some other area suburbs. Hamden outside of New Haven and Stratford outside of Bridgeport are other suburbs in CT that are generally middle class with quite a few black residents.

As for other bigger/mid sized Northeastern metros, most will have their areas/suburbs that could relatively fit. It may come down to preference or specific things you are looking for.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You know I should have been more detailed I was in a rush. I was thinking more in terms of MSA but realized I used Jersey cities that would be considered apart of NYC MSA. And yeah I could have added Hartford,CT as well as a few other smaller MSA's.

But if we were looking at MSA then I get the impression that NYC would probably be 1st, Boston 2nd and Philadelphia 3rd. Or no??
Yea I’d say that’s agreeable. Compared to Boston, the NYC MSA has slightly more affordability in desirable areas needed for a family, and a lot more representation.

I will admit I like the feeling of “a beautiful resistance” when living in New England. There’s something powerful in that. Things are so academic and your sort of at the forefront of this demographic change that’s happening in such an historic, polished place. It’s just a homer vibe I get when I’m there-oh and it’s really sunny, dry, windy, and cold compared to the rainier, muggier, mid-Atlantic.

I feel Boston is a just a better place to hitch your wagon to than Philly. My dads selling our home in Hyde Park for a 550k net profit after 25 years, its allowed a good number of people to buy into some very nice suburban areas. A great number of those Northern/Western Boston ultra luxury suburbs are ~3-4% black. I think Philly Boston is a toss up behind NYC for middle class families assuming that family is middle class for the NYC MSA.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:51 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I did top 4

Walkability
NY>Boston>Philly>JC

2. Economy
Boston>JC>NYC>Newark

3. Amenities
I'm not sure what this means.

4. Safety
Providence>Boston>Jersey City>New York (metro area)

5. Culture/Diversity
JC>NYC>Boston>Philly

6. Suburbs
Boston=NYC/JC/Newark>Philly>Providence
(New York has better African American middle income suburbs, Bostons are better overall. But black families do better in nyc so it balances)

7. QOL
Boston>Jersey City>Wilmington>Philadelphia

8. Infrastructure
All suck. But Jersey City for the win out of all here. Wilmington at #2.
JC>Wilmington>idk

9. Parks
Boston>Philadelphia>Jersey City>Harrisburg

10. Housing
Philadelphia>Harrisburg>providence>jersey city

11. Education
Boston>Jersey City>Newark>New York
Ma>nj>ny>pa>ri for education

I think I'd rank them as:
1. Jersey City Area
2. Boston area
3. Newark area
4. Philadelphia area
5. New York area
6. Wilmington area
7. Providence area
8. Harrisburg area

I don't like the grouping of cities here. I think I would restructure them as the following:
1. Boston area
2. Providence area
3. Hartford area
4. New Haven/SW CT
5. New York Area/Long Island/Westchester
6. Northern NJ
7. Philadelphia area
8. Harrisburg/Central PA (Maybe even Lancaster too)

Old 01-04-2021, 09:10 PM

Hartford would be just below Boston or Philly. It just lacks amenities. But the housing is the best relative to incomes.

To the north of Hartford, you have very neat towns in Bloomfield (57% black) Windsor (38% Black). But that's a relatively small population (50k people total). Windsor is bigger and has a large Jewish population. and Schools aren't good.

North of there is Enfield and Suffield and it blurs heavily with the Springfield MA area. Very nice normal towns, super spacious, more modern ~6-7% black. 60k people.

Immediately east of Hartford is East Hartford it's very black and Latino and working-class vibes and a mix match of sketchy and middle-class areas. Not aesthetically pleasing IMO.

East of there is Manchester which is 15% black and middle class but because it's in Connecticut-its declining but tis diversifying quickly.

To the southwest of Hartford is the majority-minority city of New Britain its decent but a notch below Bloomfield and-bad schools.

Bristol is a suburb mostly of lower-middle and middle-class whites and Puerto Rican (Aaron Hernandez' town).

Then there a bunch of gilded suburbs (Avon, Farmington, Burlington, Simsbury, Canton, Granby, Glastonbury) with very few black people (literally 0-2%).

Newington is 5% black and the middle class with good schools.

Way east are some hickish suburbs that lead into Republican country.

The problem with Connecticut is that almost nowhere is growing or thriving. It's all just trying to maintain its glory. The entire state for the past ~15 years. So everything has a slightly depressing fading feel, unfortunately. You feel very "left behind". Kind of backwater (harsh) of NY or Mass. Rhode Island has this feel too but Providence is a larger more vibrant city with a much much bigger creative class and more Boston economic spillover. Ri has also been investing in Providence in a meaningful way longer than CT has had its hands on its cities. The cities are really dull and things close extremely early.

What's nice is CT is really diverse the majority of kids in Hartford County are minorities now. And probably 48-49% of kids in CT are minorities. ~14% black.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think I'd rank them as:
1. Jersey City Area
2. Boston area
3. Newark area
4. Philadelphia area
5. New York area
6. Wilmington area
7. Providence area
8. Harrisburg area

I don't like the grouping of cities here. I think I would restructure them as the following:
1. Boston area
2. Providence area
3. Hartford area
4. New Haven/SW CT
5. New York Area/Long Island/Westchester
6. Northern NJ
7. Philadelphia area
8. Harrisburg/Central PA (Maybe even Lancaster too)
How does JC get ranked at #2, but Northern NJ at #6? No way Providence is better than New Haven or NY/LI/Westchester. How??

Old 01-04-2021, 09:25 PM

Interesting map of CT ethnicities in the 1970s: https://blogs.lib.uconn.edu/archives...Groups_001.jpg

Old 01-04-2021, 09:37 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Assuming we're talking metros:

1. Philadelphia
2. NYC
3. Jersey Ciy

(gap)

4. Wilmington
5. Newark

(*MASSIVE* gap)

6. Boston
7. Providence
8. Harrisburg

Last edited by citidata18; 01-04-2021 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City