Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 12:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
You just made this up.
What is dramatically lower in Houston is simply the murder rate (being a lot higher in Chicago). Everything else between Chicago and Houston is comparable with property crimes being more of an issue in Houston.

Houston also doesnt really have much of a gang problem where as Chicago has a massive one, but high gang membership doesnt mean a city is more dangerous per se. LA has a huge gang population but its statistically one of the safest places in the country. New Orleans doesnt really have many gangs at all, but it has a significant crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 12:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
What is dramatically lower in Houston is simply the murder rate (being a lot higher in Chicago). Everything else between Chicago and Houston is comparable with property crimes being more of an issue in Houston.

Houston also doesnt really have much of a gang problem where as Chicago has a massive one, but high gang membership doesnt mean a city is more dangerous per se. LA has a huge gang population but its statistically one of the safest places in the country. New Orleans doesnt really have many gangs at all, but it has a significant crime rate.
I get that. The poster said "crime in Houston is dramatically lower than Chicago" which he just made up, and is obviously not true. That is my only point.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
You just made this up.
I should have clarified. The murder rate is dramatically lower in Houston even with easier access to drugs than chicago. Drugs are alot cheaper in Houston than Chicago which could be one reason why there are so many murders in chicago. Just to give you an idea drugs that come from mexico are almost 3 times as high in price in Chicago than in Houston except for marijuana. The further you are from Mexico the more the cartel is going to charge.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Looking at New York, and especially LA's murder rate over the past 20 - 30 years. Chicago should be embarrassed. Both cities had more murders than Chicago at that time and both have fewer today overall and per 100,000 ppl.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:28 PM

48 posts, read 42,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Looking at New York, and especially LA's murder rate over the past 20 years. Chicago should be embarrassed.
Gang members....probably aren't embarrassed too easily.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradalan View Post
Gang members....probably aren't embarrassed too easily.
Just proves my point. LA is still the gang capital of America. But yet the murder rate of LA is half of Chicago's. Chicago has a problem. But it's obviously getting swept under the rug. Anytime elementary kids got to walk to school with bullet proof vest should say something. But yet on this site Chicago is tiers above Houston.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Just proves my point. LA is still the gang capital of America. But yet the murder rate of LA is half of Chicago's. Chicago has a problem. But it's obviously getting swept under the rug. Anytime elementary kids got to walk to school with bullet proof vest should say something. But yet on this site Chicago is tiers above Houston.
I lived in Chicago for years, and have many, many friends still there. No one I know has ever worn a bullet proof vest, nor have their children. Nor, do I know anyone who has been murdered, and I don't believe, anyone I know, knows anyone who has been murdered, either. Depends what crowd you run with.....

Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Actually, Chicago's gang membership per capita is noticeably higher than LA's. The highest per capita in the US is actually Fresno.

But ironically enough, the most dangerous cities in the US (Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, and New Orleans) dont really have huge gang problems. Their violence comes from elsewhere.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Actually, Chicago's gang membership per capita is noticeably higher than LA's. The highest per capita in the US is actually Fresno.

But ironically enough, the most dangerous cities in the US (Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, and New Orleans) dont really have huge gang problems. Their violence comes from elsewhere.
Ok. But that still doesn't change the fact that Chicago has as many murders has NYC and La combined. Chicago has a very concerning issue going on. Someone from west Chicago even told me that he grew so insensitive to the killings that felt like you was a nobody unless you got killed.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Ok. But that still doesn't change the fact that Chicago has as many murders has NYC and La combined. Chicago has a very concerning issue going on. Someone from west Chicago even told me that he grew so insensitive to the killings that felt like you was a nobody unless you got killed.
You can keep on with this (as you seem determined), but most people can live a wonderful life in Chicago and the suburbs. One knows where not to go. It's not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City