Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 05:37 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times

Advertisements

Texas has better fall, winter, and early to mid spring weather. Chicago has better summer weather hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Sure, maybe we should play your games. Do you have an Xbox? Playstation? Nintendo? Or are you a PC gamer?

Did I say it was?

I didn't send you any reps.
I'm way older then even the Pac man generation or computers in schools I attended.... so no games ever. Sorry to disappoint. Thanks for seeing me much much younger. But keep the demeaning and this weather straw man you keep commenting going. It's boring to continue. That is playing a game to keep ongoing like a trace of snow possible overnight in May and quickly gone.

Plenty more to compare Houston's attributes with Chicago without weather quips and this another personal attempt to demean. No one is bothering with Houston's summers and heat.

These cities are both very American in many differing ways to point out other attributes that differ.

You may be happy to learn Chicago had 2 of its worst winters for snow in the late 70s when I first lived there. The anomaly was like the lake-effect snows generally on the east side and south of the Great Lakes .... reversed and Chicago became like Buffalo, NY.

Homes that were one-story and driveway house driveway house for the block on the Northwest side. Everyone had to put the snow on front lawns to clean driveways. So you could only see the peaks of the roofs from the streets and sides of homes up driveways.

Again, they were anomaly years. Not the norm and such winters then became less and less. Heavy snow years hug the East cost in he early 80s. Such is possible but not the norm.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-23-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 06:26 AM

122 posts, read 91,636 times
Well, we should be talking about 'mean minimums' and not record lows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

Mean minimum for Chicago in May is 38.4 degrees. Mays are very pleasant in Chicago. Snow in May is rare, and when it happens it's only flurries. Houstonians have more to fear from hurricanes than Chicagoans have to fear from snow in May.

I also don't know why weather is being brought up. Neither Houston or Chicago is known for great weather. It's really pick your poison kind of thing. Chicago's 6 months of cold, and 6 months of pleasant of weather or Houston's 3 months of bipolar weather, 3 months of pleasant weather, and 6 months of heat, humidity and the risk of a hurricane?

Also seasons are lovely. From spring blooms, to fall colors, to winter snow. Houston has 2 seasons basically and Chicago has 4.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Houston’s heat usually lasts from June to September. This year, it got a head start in May but that’s not the norm. Houston does not deal with heat and humidity for 6 months. Chicago also does not deal with cold for 6 months.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:08 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'm way older then even the Pac man generation or computers in schools I attended.... so no games ever. Sorry to disappoint.
Darn.

Quote:
But keep the demeaning and this weather straw man you keep commenting going. It's boring to continue. That is playing a game to keep ongoing like a trace of snow possible overnight in May and quickly gone.
Is it also a game to abuse CAP LOCKS and over-analyze like you tend to do in many of your posts?

Quote:
Plenty more to compare Houston's attributes with Chicago without weather quips and this another personal attempt to demean. No one is bothering with Houston's summers and heat.
Fair enough.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-23-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSourCherry View Post
I also don't know why weather is being brought up.
It just came up somewhere.

Quote:
Neither Houston nor Chicago are known for great weather.

Quote:
It's really pick your poison kind of thing. Chicago's 6 months of cold, and 6 months of pleasant of weather or Houston's 3 months of bipolar weather, 3 months of pleasant weather, and 6 months of heat, humidity and the risk of a hurricane?
What Houston sees in winter is what Chicago sees during (early) spring and (late) fall.

Last edited by Texyn; 05-23-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Why in the world would someone from Houston choose "weather" as a point to brag about? Houston and environs just sustained one of the most damaging hurricanes in US history which also spawned a 1 in 500 year flood. I'm not exaggerating here. It was literally identified by scientists as a "1 in 500 year flood". With climate change, unfortunately these types of storms will become more frequent, rather than less. Houston has some good stuff going for it. "Weather" is not one of those things.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Texas has better fall, winter, and early to mid spring weather. Chicago has better summer weather hands down.
Texas has better winter, that's it.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Why in the world would someone from Houston choose "weather" as a point to brag about?
Why not?

Quote:
Houston and environs just sustained one of the most damaging hurricanes in US history which also spawned a 1 in 500 year flood. I'm not exaggerating here. It was literally identified by scientists as a "1 in 500 year flood". With climate change, unfortunately these types of storms will become more frequent, rather than less. Houston has some good stuff going for it. "Weather" is not one of those things.
As you've said yourself, the probabilities of such a storm are very low. But, I'm totally up for an encore: that storm was epic.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Why not?

As you've said yourself, the probabilities of such a storm are very low. But, I'm totally up for an encore: that storm was epic.

Really? A lot of people lost atheir houses and possessions and a few lost their lives. You really want an encore? I fear you may get and possibly sooner than later.

Colorado State University (respected authority on hurricane forecasting) has issued its forecast for the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season. The forecast calls for 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes and 3 major (Category 3+) hurricanes between the months of June and November. That's considered an elevated seasonal hurricane forecast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City