Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2020, 11:10 PM

570 posts, read 559,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
The fact that Houston pumpers here have to brag about a mall, and not even a very exciting one, shows how stuck in the 1980s Houston still is. Chicago has Woodfield in the burbs but it doesn’t even need a mall, Michigan Ave is way better and more impressive than the Galleria.

Houston pumpers need to get out of their state more. It’s embarrassing.
Please Houston would blow out New York if it wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 11:12 PM

570 posts, read 559,707 times
In all seriousness though, Chicago has advantages over Houston just like Houston has advantages over Chicago.

Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
The fact that Houston pumpers here have to brag about a mall, and not even a very exciting one, shows how stuck in the 1980s Houston still is. Chicago has Woodfield in the burbs but it doesn’t even need a mall, Michigan Ave is way better and more impressive than the Galleria.

Houston pumpers need to get out of their state more. It’s embarrassing.
That was literally one person. What's embarrassing is the obvious confirmation bias displaying in this comment. One person and all of a sudden it's "Houston pumpers". LOL

Old 11-25-2020, 01:57 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Malls have lost relevance. Maybe, when people in the future figure out a mall would be a nice thing to have, they'll build them again. Then, these people will think they've created something new...why didn't anyone think of this before, they'll wonder. LOL

Houston vs. Chicago....always and forever, Chicago.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:53 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Houston, to me, is one of the most underwhelming large cities in the country. I have spent too much time their to know that the gap between Chicago and Houston is vast.

I genuinely think, as cities/downtowns, Houston and Minneapolis is a much better comparison.

Lakeview in Chicago has more vibrancy than downtown Houston. That is not a tongue in cheek comment.

How can you compare Houston's hottest neighborhoods like Midtown, Montrose, River Oaks to Chicago's staples like River North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park? It's just not close.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Malls have lost relevance. Maybe, when people in the future figure out a mall would be a nice thing to have, they'll build them again. Then, these people will think they've created something new...why didn't anyone think of this before, they'll wonder. LOL

Houston vs. Chicago....always and forever, Chicago.
One non credible person brought up malls and now everyone is clinging to him and using that posters ridiculous comments to just everyone else by.

Old 11-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Houston, to me, is one of the most underwhelming large cities in the country. I have spent too much time their to know that the gap between Chicago and Houston is vast.

I genuinely think, as cities/downtowns, Houston and Minneapolis is a much better comparison.

Lakeview in Chicago has more vibrancy than downtown Houston. That is not a tongue in cheek comment.

How can you compare Houston's hottest neighborhoods like Midtown, Montrose, River Oaks to Chicago's staples like River North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park? It's just not close.
Houston has aspects that are underwhelming but to say the whole city is would be ridiculous. Houston has one of the best culinary scenes in the country, is one of the most diverse cities in the country, and punches above its weight in the arts.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:51 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston has aspects that are underwhelming but to say the whole city is would be ridiculous. Houston has one of the best culinary scenes in the country, is one of the most diverse cities in the country, and punches above its weight in the arts.
I have only been to Houston briefly during an annual meeting, and I really liked it. I also remember going to a really nice restaurant that had an awesome happy hour and great ambience. I believe this was around 2013, so I'm sure a lot has changed. I feel like these 2 cities are very different that city preferences, weather, location, etc would be the deciding factor for many people.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have only been to Houston briefly during an annual meeting, and I really liked it. I also remember going to a really nice restaurant that had an awesome happy hour and great ambience. I believe this was around 2013, so I'm sure a lot has changed. I feel like these 2 cities are very different that city preferences, weather, location, etc would be the deciding factor for many people.
There are very few cities in the US with more a superior culinary scene than Houston. Chicago is one of them. To me Chicago is only 2nd to NYC for food. I do believe Houston is 4th or 5th in the US.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:49 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
There are very few cities in the US with more a superior culinary scene than Houston. Chicago is one of them. To me Chicago is only 2nd to NYC for food. I do believe Houston is 4th or 5th in the US.
Houston's food is very good, no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City