Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best city?
Pittsburgh 70 38.25%
Charlotte 47 25.68%
Nashville 55 30.05%
Indianapolis 11 6.01%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of these issues it really has no control over. Lakes, beaches, and mountains aren't going to magically spring up. The climate isn't going to get any better. It should focus on remaining inexpensive and reducing crime.
My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 11:29 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
And the map shows clearly shows that. The city will be alright, it just needs more resources to fight crime, and more investment in removing the blighted areas. Indianapolis appears to have centralized growth, like Cincinnati, and some other Midwestern cities. The continued focus on downtown will be a great thing. It is far from a trendy or popular city, but the efforts have not gone unnoticed. The major issue for Indianapolis other than crime is competition from regional/extra-regional cities.
Indy is competes well within the region. It's isn't as if it has the smallest economy out of all the other cities in the region. Over the years it leap frogged over several so called legacy cities and never looked back. I never could understand your agenda against the city. It's not like you have any skin in the game.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:35 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of these issues it really has no control over. Lakes, beaches, and mountains aren't going to magically spring up. The climate isn't going to get any better. It should focus on remaining inexpensive and reducing crime.
I know you left but trust me ... Indy will survive. There are plenty places in America that have beaches, mountains and lakes that are doing far worst.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 PM

4,528 posts, read 5,098,565 times
I'm with the Burgh all the way on this one.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 AM

126 posts, read 146,693 times
I am a life-long Nashvillian even though I have lived just outside the City. I was born there, work there, eat there and play there. I have visited Charlotte twice, walking around downtown and riding the Lynx rail. I have been to Pittsburgh once to watch a ballgame in on of the nations most beautiful ballparks and enjoying a walk downtown. My visit to Indy consists of a couple of drive-arounds. But I have kept of with development in these Cities over the years, and feel like I have some familiarity with the pros and cons of each.

But I am going to stay away from comparisons and just comment on the City of Nashville's strength and weaknesses of which I consider myself to be an expert.

Economy-Which city has the most promising and diversified economy - Nashville's is red hot!!! The strong and fast growing health sector is bringing high-tech people from all over the country which in turn brings in other high tech industry because of the growing pool of well educated people to recruit from. I would give Nashville a very high score.

Transportation-Both via car and public - Yes, other than one commuter rail line, of which the location was based on opportunity (lightly used independent short-line) rather than need, the absence of rail mass transit is considered, unfairly in my opinion, as a shortcoming in Nashville's ongoing transition into a major city. Tourist travel is more than adequately served with free buses, taxis, Uber, Lyft, pedi-cabs and yes, golf carts. An ambitious Bus Rapid Transit plan for the major corridor in the city was shot down recently, but a regional and community driven long term plan is in the works and will involve three corridors of light rail with two corridors of trolley service.

Nashville gets a good, but not great, score in this category for accommodating the transit needs of both visitors and citizens.

Walk ability - Once you get outside the urban core, sidewalks all but disappear. However there have been indications that the current administration is placing sidewalk construction high on it's list. But throughout the core, there are beautiful walks to be had past parks, cafes, artworks and music venues.

Architecture-are the homes interesting? - I don't find home architecture to be anything special in Nashville. It is either tacky McMansions built by people with too much money and too little taste or those Malibu homes on the hills designed to poorly mimic some three story Walter Gropius house.
Urban development is somewhat meh also. Most of the new high-rises are bland, genric glass buildings. Some people like the curvy, South Beachy looking JW Marriott. The original Euro-funky designe for the Virgin Hotel in mid-town was dumbed down recently. I like the Aertson/Kimpton development in mid-town, the new Vanderbilt University academic buildings and the SOM designed 40 story Buckingham proposal. But for the most part, the new architecture is nothing you wouldn't see in two dozen other cities. Developers and planners seem to shy away from taking risks and trying something unique. I will give high marks for adaptive re-use of older building stock in the downtown area, but over all I give Nashville neither high or low marks overall for good architecture.

Food - Big win in this category. I'm not an expert, but I can't help seeing the attention that Nashville's food scene has attracted from a national and world standpoint. Celebrity chefs move here and the food served is a sample of all the best cuisine in the world. Highest of marks here.

Scenery/Topography - Hills abound throughout the City and the Cumberland River flowing past downtown is just the right size (when it stays within its banks) for the construction of beautiful bridges, parks, forts and amphitheaters. High marks, again.

Nightlife/entertainment - Nashville knows how to throw a party like no other City. It was agreed that all the pomp and circumstance surrounding this years Hockey All-Star Game was the best ever, raising the bar for all future games in other cities. And wait until you see how we host red-carpet events like the CMA Awards or even the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit roll-out celebration.

Nashville gets dissed by some for the Country music influence over its brand, but I guarantee you every other city in America would give up their 12 tallest buildings to have a brand like that. Plus it's not just country music, Nashville is the City for all music. Lady Gaga was just in town to debut a new album at a small club because the person she collaborated with works here. Meghan Trainor, The Kings of Leon, Ke$ha and many others moved to Nashville to develop their careers.

Nashville is in another league when it comes to nightlife. Just ask the thousands of people who come from around the world every day to enjoy the nightlife. We can't build hotels fast enough.

Weather - Four seasons, but mostly warm, muggy summers and cool winters with a few inches of snow per year on average. People from the north love the weather and people from California hate it. So-eh!

Suburbs quality: Planned communities? Good schools parks pools etc - I don't know how it compares to other major cities, but Nashville's suburbs retain a strong sense of community with strong ties to the past and plenty of events, celebrations, and community activities. It is less about suburban sprawl and more about wonderful fast growing ring Cities which are unique and independent in their on way.
Good marks.

Location; It's fairly centrally located in the USA, so if you like to travel around in a vehicle like I do, that's good. A little better than average marks.

Potential growth for the future - It is the 'It City' (per New York Times) and there is no end in sight.
Highest marks.

Final comments - In my mind there are two things that push Nashville toward the head of the class. First is the 'brand' of Music City USA which is more deserved than ever. Quoting a radio dj in Las Vegas I happened to hear on my travels, "Nashville is the place to be if you want a music career".

And from an urban development standpoint, the existence of a densely developed Mid-Town is the other notable feature. Nashville's Mid-town alone would be a remarkable city somewhere else with a skyline of it's own, notable parks, major Universities and plenty of places to work, live and eat.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm with the Burgh all the way on this one.
I agree. I don't see how Indianapolis can compete here.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 AM

247 posts, read 336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
I am a life-long Nashvillian even though I have lived just outside the City. I was born there, work there, eat there and play there. I have visited Charlotte twice, walking around downtown and riding the Lynx rail. I have been to Pittsburgh once to watch a ballgame in on of the nations most beautiful ballparks and enjoying a walk downtown. My visit to Indy consists of a couple of drive-arounds. But I have kept of with development in these Cities over the years, and feel like I have some familiarity with the pros and cons of each.

But I am going to stay away from comparisons and just comment on the City of Nashville's strength and weaknesses of which I consider myself to be an expert.

Economy-Which city has the most promising and diversified economy - Nashville's is red hot!!! The strong and fast growing health sector is bringing high-tech people from all over the country which in turn brings in other high tech industry because of the growing pool of well educated people to recruit from. I would give Nashville a very high score.

Transportation-Both via car and public - Yes, other than one commuter rail line, of which the location was based on opportunity (lightly used independent short-line) rather than need, the absence of rail mass transit is considered, unfairly in my opinion, as a shortcoming in Nashville's ongoing transition into a major city. Tourist travel is more than adequately served with free buses, taxis, Uber, Lyft, pedi-cabs and yes, golf carts. An ambitious Bus Rapid Transit plan for the major corridor in the city was shot down recently, but a regional and community driven long term plan is in the works and will involve three corridors of light rail with two corridors of trolley service.

Nashville gets a good, but not great, score in this category for accommodating the transit needs of both visitors and citizens.

Walk ability - Once you get outside the urban core, sidewalks all but disappear. However there have been indications that the current administration is placing sidewalk construction high on it's list. But throughout the core, there are beautiful walks to be had past parks, cafes, artworks and music venues.

Architecture-are the homes interesting? - I don't find home architecture to be anything special in Nashville. It is either tacky McMansions built by people with too much money and too little taste or those Malibu homes on the hills designed to poorly mimic some three story Walter Gropius house.
Urban development is somewhat meh also. Most of the new high-rises are bland, genric glass buildings. Some people like the curvy, South Beachy looking JW Marriott. The original Euro-funky designe for the Virgin Hotel in mid-town was dumbed down recently. I like the Aertson/Kimpton development in mid-town, the new Vanderbilt University academic buildings and the SOM designed 40 story Buckingham proposal. But for the most part, the new architecture is nothing you wouldn't see in two dozen other cities. Developers and planners seem to shy away from taking risks and trying something unique. I will give high marks for adaptive re-use of older building stock in the downtown area, but over all I give Nashville neither high or low marks overall for good architecture.

Food - Big win in this category. I'm not an expert, but I can't help seeing the attention that Nashville's food scene has attracted from a national and world standpoint. Celebrity chefs move here and the food served is a sample of all the best cuisine in the world. Highest of marks here.

Scenery/Topography - Hills abound throughout the City and the Cumberland River flowing past downtown is just the right size (when it stays within its banks) for the construction of beautiful bridges, parks, forts and amphitheaters. High marks, again.

Nightlife/entertainment - Nashville knows how to throw a party like no other City. It was agreed that all the pomp and circumstance surrounding this years Hockey All-Star Game was the best ever, raising the bar for all future games in other cities. And wait until you see how we host red-carpet events like the CMA Awards or even the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit roll-out celebration.

Nashville gets dissed by some for the Country music influence over its brand, but I guarantee you every other city in America would give up their 12 tallest buildings to have a brand like that. Plus it's not just country music, Nashville is the City for all music. Lady Gaga was just in town to debut a new album at a small club because the person she collaborated with works here. Meghan Trainor, The Kings of Leon, Ke$ha and many others moved to Nashville to develop their careers.

Nashville is in another league when it comes to nightlife. Just ask the thousands of people who come from around the world every day to enjoy the nightlife. We can't build hotels fast enough.

Weather - Four seasons, but mostly warm, muggy summers and cool winters with a few inches of snow per year on average. People from the north love the weather and people from California hate it. So-eh!

Suburbs quality: Planned communities? Good schools parks pools etc - I don't know how it compares to other major cities, but Nashville's suburbs retain a strong sense of community with strong ties to the past and plenty of events, celebrations, and community activities. It is less about suburban sprawl and more about wonderful fast growing ring Cities which are unique and independent in their on way.
Good marks.

Location; It's fairly centrally located in the USA, so if you like to travel around in a vehicle like I do, that's good. A little better than average marks.

Potential growth for the future - It is the 'It City' (per New York Times) and there is no end in sight.
Highest marks.

Final comments - In my mind there are two things that push Nashville toward the head of the class. First is the 'brand' of Music City USA which is more deserved than ever. Quoting a radio dj in Las Vegas I happened to hear on my travels, "Nashville is the place to be if you want a music career".

And from an urban development standpoint, the existence of a densely developed Mid-Town is the other notable feature. Nashville's Mid-town alone would be a remarkable city somewhere else with a skyline of it's own, notable parks, major Universities and plenty of places to work, live and eat.

Ke$ha moved from Nashville to LA because nobody attended shows.

I recently moved from Nashville, and find the night life to be incredibly overrated. Good for a weekend, but gimmicky and not substantial. Where are the great bars, clubs, things other night life cities are known for? There's other live music than country to be seen, but guess what other cities have live music other than country-all of them. Other than that, you have mostly bland SoDaSoPa areas.

I was out at a Mexican Restaurant on a Friday night-nothing special about the food, drinks, etc., it just had that generic gentrified aesthetic-and young people were showing up in droves via Uber like it was the hottest place in town. If TacoMamacita is a hot nightlife spot, that tells me that the nightlife really isn't as great as people make it out to be, or there is a serious shortage of places in which to socialize and not be pestered by a full band in a small room. My small, dry country of a college town had better places to go than that.

If you find things in Nashville other than country music that you enjoy, there are a lot of cities that offer a lot more of that, and a lot less fluff.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:47 AM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
Ke$ha moved from Nashville to LA because nobody attended shows.

I recently moved from Nashville, and find the night life to be incredibly overrated. Good for a weekend, but gimmicky and not substantial. Where are the great bars, clubs, things other night life cities are known for? There's other live music than country to be seen, but guess what other cities have live music other than country-all of them. Other than that, you have mostly bland SoDaSoPa areas.

I was out at a Mexican Restaurant on a Friday night-nothing special about the food, drinks, etc., it just had that generic gentrified aesthetic-and young people were showing up in droves via Uber like it was the hottest place in town. If TacoMamacita is a hot nightlife spot, that tells me that the nightlife really isn't as great as people make it out to be, or there is a serious shortage of places in which to socialize and not be pestered by a full band in a small room. My small, dry country of a college town had better places to go than that.

If you find things in Nashville other than country music that you enjoy, there are a lot of cities that offer a lot more of that, and a lot less fluff.
Ok, then name some that aren't substantially larger that are better? I'd say Nashville does just fine for a city it's size.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 AM

76 posts, read 151,900 times
Economy - Charlotte
Transportation - Pittsburgh
Walkability - Pittsburgh
Architecture - Pittsburgh
Food - Nashville
Scenery/Topography - Pittsburgh
Nightlife/entertainment - Charlotte
Weather - Charlotte
Suburbs quality - ???
Location - Charlotte
Potential growth - Charlotte

Old 11-23-2016, 09:14 AM

76 posts, read 151,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Economy - Charlotte
Transportation - Pittsburgh
Walkability - Pittsburgh
Architecture - Pittsburgh
Food - Nashville
Scenery/Topography - Pittsburgh
Nightlife/entertainment - Charlotte
Weather - Charlotte
Suburbs quality - ???
Location - Charlotte
Potential growth - Charlotte
definitely between Charlotte and Pittsburgh for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City