Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most nationally and globally significant right now?
Boston 27 24.32%
Philadelphia 25 22.52%
San Francisco 59 53.15%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:24 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

^*drops mic*

Thanks for the graphic. Illustrated what I've been rambling on about perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Pine to Vine raised a good point, though, about transportation links. While we have data about overall Amtrak, commuter rail and bus ridership, does anyone have specific breakdowns of actually traveled routes? Not a list of busiest stations or overall ridership numbers, but something specific between two points, like say Northeast Regional ridership between Philadelphia and New York City?

Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Note the three busiest Amtrak stations in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mtrak_stations. I doubt all those people are traveling to Richmond or Allentown.

There appear to be dozens of flights from PHL to NYC: https://www.kayak.com/flights/PHL-NY...-06-21/2adults. With a reciprocal number returning.

Which reminds me: those 18 daily MegaBuses and 20 daily BoltBuses I referenced a few posts back are only going in one direction. An equal number return.

It seems hard to find many non-stops between SF and SJ.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:01 PM

Just voted. For SF, btw. I note some phantom account copying my name also voted for SF. Wonder how many more phantoms? Not the first time I've seen padded polls.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:19 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Note the three busiest Amtrak stations in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mtrak_stations. I doubt all those people are traveling to Richmond or Allentown.

There appear to be dozens of flights from PHL to NYC: https://www.kayak.com/flights/PHL-NY...-06-21/2adults. With a reciprocal number returning.

Which reminds me: those 18 daily MegaBuses and 20 daily BoltBuses I referenced a few posts back are only going in one direction. An equal number return.

It seems hard to find many non-stops between SF and SJ.
Haha thats because they are two neighboring but separate msas each with 5M+ people.

And why would there be flights btwn SFO and SJC? They are only 34 miles apart.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha thats because they are two neighboring but separate msas each with 5M+ people.

And why would there be flights btwn SFO and SJC? They are only 34 miles apart.
It's not about the existence flights. It's the fact that a large number of people are using them to go between the two cities. So let's see, people transit non-stop between PHL and NYC via airplane, train, BoltBus/MegaBus, and car because the demand is strong enough to warrant it. People transit nonstop between SF and SJ exactly how?

Old 05-06-2016, 04:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
It'll be great when Caltrain goes up to the Transbay Transit Center (2017) and BART goes down to downtown San Jose (2025 projected) that San Jose and San Francisco become part of the same MSA so fewer people keep on insisting on splitting the two.

Maybe by that latter point, Boston will have made the north-south station commuter rail link, be able to run many more cars as a S-Bahn type of service, extend the line and draw in Providence and Manchester as part of the MSA. But probably not.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^*drops mic*

Thanks for the graphic. Illustrated what I've been rambling on about perfectly.
The graphic, though, is a bit misleading. I don't disagree with the conclusion, but the topographic features of the Bay Area forces suburbia into narrow corridors, while there are no such corridors in the Northeast.

The end result is that the Bay Area is functionally similar to the various CSAs along the Northeast corridor, though suburban density is slightly higher, owing to Sunbelt style sprawl and the mountains hemming it in.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Oh, I agree with you that there is definitely cohesion in our region. It's just not at all as physically connected from a development standpoint as the Bay Area, though you make a good point about the transportation links. I don't think that's enough to argue that BosWash functions as one big unit, certainly not to the degree of the Bay, especially since all of the Big 5 cities are quite distinct culturally. But we're all linked, for sure.
Between around Hartford and Wilmington or so is as cohesive as the Bay Area. But the entire Northeast Corridor certainly isn't. There are gaps between Philly and Baltimore and particularly between Hartford and Boston.

But the core 200 miles or so, yeah I think it can be compared. Hartford to Wilmington has no break.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:59 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The graphic, though, is a bit misleading. I don't disagree with the conclusion, but the topographic features of the Bay Area forces suburbia into narrow corridors, while there are no such corridors in the Northeast.

The end result is that the Bay Area is functionally similar to the various CSAs along the Northeast corridor, though suburban density is slightly higher, owing to Sunbelt style sprawl and the mountains hemming it in.
Yea, topography and land use laws force things to happen. That's just a fact of life. I think the core areas centered around SF, SJ, and Oakland are very connected and they will be even more so in the very short run as transit projects are completed and the area continues to experience strong population growth rates. It was a hell of a hassle to do a mid-day haul from SF to SJ though (which I had to do last month).

Anyone know if the Transbay Transit Center will include greater off-peak frequencies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City