Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most nationally and globally significant right now?
Boston 27 24.32%
Philadelphia 25 22.52%
San Francisco 59 53.15%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Why isn't that serious? There are major breaks in urban/suburban development all along the BosWash corridor. Particularly between Boston and New York and between Philadelphia and Baltimore. There's connectivity there, but the Bay Area has an unbroken string of suburbs and smaller urban centers connecting San Fransciso to San Jose along the Peninsula and San Jose to Oakland/Richmond along the East Bay. That kind of continuity simply does not exist in the Bos-Wash corridor. Not even between New York and Philadelphia which are the two most connected major urban centers in the corridor. To argue that all of the Bos-Wash corridor is as even close to as interconnected as SF/OAK/SJ is simply erroneous. It's just too spread out. Then there's the fact about the census statistic. Bos-Wash is not a MSA, CSA, UA, or NECTA. That's a fact.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
SEPTA, NJT, MTA merger with lines running CBD to CBD at commuter rail prices! Make Philly/NYC just one giant glob of a metro.
We can dream, can't we!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 11:53 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area is worlds more cohesive than BosWash, which isnt even considered a single geography in a single census statistic.
I agree with this. The distance between SF and San Jose is about the same as that between Boston and Providence.

Conversely it takes about 5hrs to drive from Boston to NYC and there isn't a ton of development between the two cities aside from Hartford and its suburbs. They definitely aren't connected by a constant string of suburbia like I think SF and San Jose are connected.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:16 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I agree with this. The distance between SF and San Jose is about the same as that between Boston and Providence.

Conversely it takes about 5hrs to drive from Boston to NYC and there isn't a ton of development between the two cities aside from Hartford and its suburbs. They definitely aren't connected by a constant string of suburbia like I think SF and San Jose are connected.
There are over 8 million people (and growing) who travel BosWash by Amtrak each year, 18 or so daily MegaBuses and 20 or so daily BoltBuses (between PHL and NYC alone), not to mention those who choose to travel BosWash by car. Clearly, there is some cohesion between BosWash; otherwise folks are just traveling these routes for fun.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:27 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Fot BosWash Boston is the geographic outlier. The area between Worcester and Springfield and the area Providence and Hartford is not very densely populated.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times

This is a look at the population density for the BosWash corridor. I got this picture from Wikipedia so I don't think its copyrighted since Wikipedia is open sourced. Along I-90 there is still some sort of a suburban feel between Worcester and Springfield and certainly most of New Jersey between Philly and NYC would be classified as suburban.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
There are over 8 million people (and growing) who travel BosWash by Amtrak each year, 18 or so daily MegaBuses and 20 or so daily BoltBuses (between PHL and NYC alone), not to mention those who choose to travel BosWash by car. Clearly, there is some cohesion between BosWash; otherwise folks are just traveling these routes for fun.
Oh, I agree with you that there is definitely cohesion in our region. It's just not at all as physically connected from a development standpoint as the Bay Area, though you make a good point about the transportation links. I don't think that's enough to argue that BosWash functions as one big unit, certainly not to the degree of the Bay, especially since all of the Big 5 cities are quite distinct culturally. But we're all linked, for sure.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Fot BosWash Boston is the geographic outlier. The area between Worcester and Springfield and the area Providence and Hartford is not very densely populated.
Another outlier is the gap between Elkton, MD and Baltimore's exurbs. There's no commuter rail connection there, and I don't think the exurban development is continuous. Plus, 95 has a ton of tolls going from Baltimore to Wilmington.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:43 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
There's cohesion, but the distance between most of these cities is too great for regular commutes. San Francisco to San Jose is very similar to Boston to Providence in terms of distance (though the suburbs between are denser in the Bay Area). There's a local commuter rail connection and an unbroken string of suburbs connecting the two. When you talk Bos-Wash, even NYC to Philly, it's not the same. There's regional interplay, but they're not nearly as tied in together as SF/OAK/SJ. Not even close.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There's cohesion, but the distance between most of these cities is too great for regular commutes. San Francisco to San Jose is very similar to Boston to Providence in terms of distance (though the suburbs between are denser in the Bay Area). There's a local commuter rail connection and an unbroken string of suburbs connecting the two. When you talk Bos-Wash, even NYC to Philly, it's not the same. There's regional interplay, but they're not nearly as tied in together as SF/OAK/SJ. Not even close.
There is noone commuting from Boston to Philly for example. However there are lots of people who commute to different cities along the corridor. Between Boston and New York there are lots of people commuting between Boston and Worcester, than Worcester to Springfield is fairly common, Springfield and Hartford is a common commute, Hartford to New Haven is a common commute. Once you get to New Haven you're within commuting distance to NYC. Throughout New Jersey there are many towns where you have towns where there are large numbers of people commuting to both Philly or to NYC.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Contiguous Visualized Urbanization: Northeast Corridor ("BosWash") versus the San Francisco Bay Area CSA, (Northeast Corridor CSAs from North to South):

Boston:

New York:

Philadelphia:

Washington DC-Baltimore CSA:

Versus

the San Francisco Bay Area CSA:

No comparison really. The San Francisco Bay Area is one contiguous, dense, and built up area that functions as one metropolis with three large cities anchoring a side of their area. Whereas the Northeast Corridor is a chain of metropolitan areas and cities that are adjacent to one another with some lightly connecting low density sprawl bridging the gap between them. One is a real metropolitan area, the other is a region and/or chain-link of adjacent big cities. Hartford and Springfield (in between Boston and New York) are not featured in the above visuals because visuals for them do not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City