Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:29 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,021 times

Advertisements

Oh, lemme vouch for King0fthehill. I've been following his prettyugly.com posts and he knows LA better than most. Fantastic photos, too! As for me, I don't live in LA anymore but went to school at UCLA, lived in West LA and downtown, worked in the South Bay and Long Beach and my friends are in Silverlake, Echo Park, Inglewood and K-Town. So I know LA pretty well except for the Valley...and for overall influence I voted for NYC!

Still, to say the hip factor is in the Grove and Westside reflects a rather different perspective. And "a couple of cholos"? Really?

But why fight over hipness and grit? The bare fact for me is although LA is home to the entertainment business, NYC is headquarters to most major news media. As I've said before, though, considering how the news has devolved to infotainment--and has affected public discourse--that's not an industry necessarily to be proud of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 01:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,481,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Oh, lemme vouch for King0fthehill. I've been following his prettyugly.com posts and he knows LA better than most. Fantastic photos, too! As for me, I don't live in LA anymore but went to school at UCLA, lived in West LA and downtown, worked in the South Bay and Long Beach and my friends are in Silverlake, Echo Park, Inglewood and K-Town. So I know LA pretty well except for the Valley...and for overall influence I voted for NYC!

Still, to say the hip factor is in the Grove and Westside reflects a rather different perspective. And "a couple of cholos"? Really?

But why fight over hipness and grit? The bare fact for me is although LA is home to the entertainment business, NYC is headquarters to most major news media. As I've said before, though, considering how the news has devolved to infotainment--and has affected public discourse--that's not an industry necessarily to be proud of.
Very true, but NYC also has Comedy Central/The Daily Show/Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert. Sadly they seem to have become some of the most reliable cable news sources out there now. But they are something NYC can be proud of!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:02 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,852,610 times
Quote:

Thats fine for you to vouch for him, but how much of what I said can you show innacurate? The fact is that, not much if anything, is not true. I posted the truth and show I'm wrong if I am. You and king of the hill just don't appreciate what I said cause it hits home. I'm not anti LA, but your LA posters asked for the truth and I will give it. I think that this got ugly cause a couple of LA posters took it there and you and other LA posters have an issue with getting it back. I grew up in LA and have been living in NYC for quite a few years. I know both places quite well.

Last edited by lamexican; 07-04-2009 at 02:19 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,024,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Okay at this point I'm really not trying to be very involved in this debate since its gotten kind of ugly, but dude, what??

-How are single-family homes destroying the planet?? Living on top of each other is not really the choicest way people want to live. I've got people both above me and below me, and I am dying to not have to deal with that kind of noise. I can't wait to own my own house one day. Do you seriously not want to have your own home? Cars may be wrecking the environment, but houses are what we need to live in. Living with everyone crammed on top of one another is what people try to get away from unless they're living in super-expensive, elite luxury condos. And that is not the type of future most of us would desire.

-The legless walking argument applies equally to cars and public transit. Except if you cut your legs off, its much easier to travel with your wheelchair by car than it is by bus or train. I got what you were getting at, but think about it.

-Lastly, did you actually even look at the link you posted? NYC came in at #11, WAY after LA. It went SF, Tokyo, Boston, LA, SD, Twin Cities, Boise, Seattle, Portland, Houston, and THEN NYC! You kind of countered your whole cause here with that one. Just had to point that out.
Shhhh I was trying to see if he actually was paying attention to anything anybody was saying. As for the most part single families homes most of the time take up alot of space, energy, etc. This is all coming from a TIME magazine on Global Warming and what you can do about it. They said to either live in a smaller house or live in a big city. I prefer living in an apartment, feels cozy to me like a baby feels cozy inside her mothers womb. I never had a problem with noise or anything. You are much closer to neighbors. More of chance to have public transportation near you or retail near you, etc Now as far as i can see between the two cities you atleast have both options in NYC more than you have in LA. Also people would rather live in an apartment in NYC than a house in LA. One thing i wanted to added was that the way of living seems to be weird. Somebody a long time ago had said that people move to LA but they would VACATION in NYC. What i didnt understand was that how could you vacation here and live their. Usually its the other way around. You live in the Big City and you go on vacation to cities like LA with all the beaches and natural elements.

Last edited by BigCityGuy; 07-04-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 12:13 PM

125 posts, read 394,674 times
NYC hands down.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 PM

157 posts, read 398,304 times
Is this even a serious question? New York hands down...

(Which is not in any way to disparage LA as a metro area - I'd much, much rather live in SoCal than in NYC or any other place in the Northeast.)

Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,457,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Very true, but NYC also has Comedy Central/The Daily Show/Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert. Sadly they seem to have become some of the most reliable cable news sources out there now. But they are something NYC can be proud of!
Don't you think this makes the state of network news all the sadder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Thats fine for you to vouch for him, but how much of what I said can you show innacurate? The fact is that, not much if anything, is not true. I posted the truth and show I'm wrong if I am. You and king of the hill just don't appreciate what I said cause it hits home. I'm not anti LA, but your LA posters asked for the truth and I will give it. I think that this got ugly cause a couple of LA posters took it there and you and other LA posters have an issue with getting it back. I grew up in LA and have been living in NYC for quite a few years. I know both places quite well.
The "truth"...about the Grove? Hmph. I personally don't think it at all has the juice you claim, and if you do I guess that's fine, though you're the one making a personal assertion without proving it to be accurate. But is there really a painful "truth" argument here, where we just disagree? It's...well...it's the Grove...

Old 07-04-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Don't you think this makes the state of network news all the sadder?
Oh absolutely. I just think Jon Stewart is something to be proud of. The rest of the networks they should be ashamed of at the moment.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Shhhh I was trying to see if he actually was paying attention to anything anybody was saying.
Lol okay got ya!

Quote:
Now as far as i can see between the two cities you atleast have both options in NYC more than you have in LA.
That is very true.

Quote:
Also people would rather live in an apartment in NYC than a house in LA.
Which people? Some would maybe, but I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the country aspires to own their own house one day. NYC is still the top city and metro area in terms of population, but LA has been growing rapidly so I'm not sure how much more popular NYC apartments are vs. LA houses. But that is debatable. Either way, there are plenty of people who choose to live in one of the two, more than any other spot in the nation.

Quote:
One thing i wanted to added was that the way of living seems to be weird. Somebody a long time ago had said that people move to LA but they would VACATION in NYC. What i didnt understand was that how could you vacation here and live their. Usually its the other way around. You live in the Big City and you go on vacation to cities like LA with all the beaches and natural elements.
It depends on the individual. The type you're describing that you don't understand prefers to live near the comforts of the amenities you've mentioned that LA has, while enjoying visiting the more hectic, fast-paced lifestyle that NYC offers. NYC offers a unique standard of living, not the norm for the rest of the nation. So its not for everyone. While from your perspective it seems that NYC is the norm, and a place like LA is where someone would go only to visit. But it is the 2nd largest metro here for a reason, and there are plenty of people who enjoy calling it home. It all depends on who you're asking.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:35 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,097,210 times
New york has 100 more votes than la. Why is this thread not locked, the people have spoken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City