Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,852,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
You're right, you were actually the one responding to what was thrown your way. I should have pointed that out since this one actually began on the LA side of things, so my bad. I only really intended to explain why NYC was being dissected here and the whole city wasn't being counted, rather than to assign blame to you guys for starting it. But I should have made it clear that it was not the NYC side of things that began this here, and my words did the exact opposite of that.

And yeah, Queens is still decently covered, but IMO it seems to have huge swaths of land that have no subway coverage at all in comparison to the excellent coverage in BK, BX and Manhattan. But I'm also pretty sure the buses would be able to pick up the slack just fine, I just haven't ridden the NYC buses myself anywhere but in BK so I don't really know for sure.
I just wanted to make it clear for the other posters so they didn't automatically say these NYers don't even show respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM

59 posts, read 87,036 times
NYC has a greater influence on the United States because of the amenities and landmarks that LA lacks.LA has nothing that can compete with the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Central Park, Wall Street, Broadway and The Brooklyn Bridge, which just touches the surface.

Last edited by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC; 07-01-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM

804 posts, read 2,403,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC View Post
NYC has a greater influence on the United States because of the amenities and landmarks that LA lacks.LA has nothing that can compete with the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Central Park, Wall Street, Broadway and The Brooklyn Bridge, which just touches the surface.
Are you kidding me? Chicago has nothing iconic like New Yorks landmarks people can't even depict Chicago because it has no famous landmarks. Atlanta has no iconic structure Houston has nothing as well same for Dallas, San Diego, Sao Paulo, Rio, Singapore, etc. So please stop this display of BS. BTW LA has landmarks, ever heard of the HOLLYWOOD sign or the Hollywood star or the chinese theater, palm tree, Beverly hill sign, Capitol records building I could go on.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Default L.A. Landmarks

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/PB050006.JPG (broken link)

Here are a few LA landmarks

Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post

Here are a few LA landmarks
Are you really trying to compare those "landmarks" to what is found in other American cities, particually in New York or Washington D.C.? Lol, are these the landmarks that you said beats a first class city like Chicago?

Landmarks to compete with New York??? A theatre? Did you ever hear of Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall or the New Amsterdam?

A mural????

It really says something when the top "landmark" a city has is a sign for one of its neighborhoods. Could you imagine if New York's only WELL KNOWN landmark was a giant sign that said HARLEM or BROOKLYN?

If you want a nearby city that has lots of well known landmarks look to San Francisco. Face it --- LAs most distinguishing charateristic is its natural location --- palm trees with semi-arid hills in the background--- not its buildings. At least not yet!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,481,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC View Post
I agree with this. I don't know how much these necessarily count as influence, but NYC has THE MOST iconic landmarks of any US city, bar none. The NYC landmarks I feel represent the US globally. Meaning that if someone from a foreign country were asked for one single landmark that comes to mind when they think of the US, one of several NYC landmarks would very likely be what they'd mention. The Golden Gate Bridge and the Hollywood sign might be up there if a list was made, as well as the Washington Monument or Lincoln Memorial. But the Statue of Liberty is the most iconic IMO. And vs. LA's landmarks, NYC wins this round w/o a doubt.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,481,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It really says something when the top "landmark" a city has is a sign for one of its neighborhoods. Could you imagine if New York's only WELL KNOWN landmark was a giant sign that said HARLEM or BROOKLYN?
Lol I get what you mean, but let's be fair here. Neither of those two has a similar iconic sign b/c neither of them is the film capitol of the US. Both of those are very, very significant in many ways, but Hollywood is much more so. So that sign deserves to be considered a very important US landmark. But I do get what you were saying.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Are you really trying to compare those "landmarks" to what is found in other American cities, particually in New York or Washington D.C.? Lol, are these the landmarks that you said beats a first class city like Chicago?

Landmarks to compete with New York??? A theatre? Did you ever hear of Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall or the New Amsterdam?

A mural????

If you want a nearby city that has lots of well known landmarks look to San Francisco. Face it --- LAs most distinguishing charateristic is its natural location --- palm trees with semi-arid hills in the background--- not its buildings. At least not yet!
You obivously didn't read my post. I Am not trying to compare Los Angeles landmarks to New York I Am trying to show the annoying troll who made that fake account that LA has landmarks too so stop acting like you know everything. Also if LA can't beat Chicago's lanmarks why didn't you name one. Cause you can't. Chicago has nothing iconic. If the Chinese theater is only a "building" why did you state another building in New York (Radio City) which I doubt is iconic I never even heard of it, ever saw Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA? Your contradicting yourself. Everyone knows the Hollywood sign and the Hollywood star and I belive New York has a big sign as well labeling a area across it's old buildings Times Square. You think Washington D.C. is better they're not even original. A big obelisk for a monument copyed from the egytains those collumed buildings copyed from the Greeks big domed Capitol building copyed from Rome, yeah real iconic.

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 07-01-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM

^^^So no response yet Huh LINative

Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Talking Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
^^^So no response yet Huh LINative
Ok. If you insist. But I am only going to do just one sentence from all that totally dweebish run on error ridden paragraph you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City