Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Houston can't be Southern and an International city? I guess Miami, and Atlanta aren't Southern cities either.

Atlanta yes, Miami and Houston no. They dont identify culturally with the south.
Even East Texas people, would identify themselves as Texan not southern. I dont see that for northern Florida.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Atlanta yes, Miami and Houston no. They dont identify culturally with the south.
Even East Texas people, would identify themselves as Texan not southern. I dont see that for northern Florida.
When did you take these polls? I'm a native Houstonian, so you can't tell me that I don't identify with the South, because I absolutely do, and every other native Houstonian who understands the history of their town feels the same way. Your international statement can't apply to Houston any more than it does Atlanta.

I've only known ONE East Texan who didn't see herself as southern (I won't call out her name but she's a poster in the Texas forum). Every other East Texan I've known absolutely identified with the South. In fact, many felt that they clearly had more in common with the Southeast than with the rest of the state.

So let's not make matter-of-fact statements about things when there are no actual facts involved.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
OK. Lemme chime in as I've visited both.

First, when I had gone to Houston a year ago, I felt that I had never left the South. During the ride from Alabama to Houston, it all felt the same except for topographic differences. Also, in Houston, I felt like I was in Atlanta, Birmingham, or any parts of the South because there were so many blacks, and they sounded like they were from those respective places. The only thing that took away from the southern culture was the large Hispanic population, which did speak with a southern accent. Houston felt like a huge Mobile, which is super duper southern. lol.

Lastly, I've spent the whole summer last summer in Florida and have visited the state many times. The Panhandle is just an extension of Alabama and Georgia, but once when you make that turn going south on I-75 from I-10, the southern culture becomes diluted. However, the blacks and some whites hold on to the culture. Orlando's blacks are country, but Tampa's blacks are more country. Miami's blacks are country too, and yes, the Caribbean people have adapted to the southern culture, but the large Hispanic population takes a lot away from Miami's southern culture more so than Houston's.

All in all, I feel that East Texas and the Florida Panhandle are neck-in-neck in terms of southern culture. They are part of the Deep South culturally. I feel that more of Texas's heavily populated areas are more southern than Florida's due to the state's unusual shape and location of its heavily populated areas. That's just me.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
When did you take these polls? I'm a native Houstonian, so you can't tell me that I don't identify with the South, because I absolutely do, and every other native Houstonian who understands the history of their town feels the same way. Your international statement can't apply to Houston any more than it does Atlanta.

I've only known ONE East Texan who didn't see herself as southern (I won't call out her name but she's a poster in the Texas forum). Every other East Texan I've known absolutely identified with the South. In fact, many felt that they clearly had more in common with the Southeast than with the rest of the state.

So let's not make matter-of-fact statements about things when there are no actual facts involved.
Same place you took your polls. In the bathroom...
You just made a series of those matter of fact statements..lol

So you're saying there is only ONE east Texan that doesn't see themself as southern...I'm saying there isn't one person in DFW who thinks we are in the deep south. But again this is all subjective.
Regarding Atlanta v Houston. Houston is far more internationally diverse than Atlanta. Atlanta is immersed in the Deep South where Houston at best is on the crusty edge.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Same place you took your polls. In the bathroom...
You just made a series of those matter of fact statements..lol

So you're saying there is only ONE east Texan that doesn't see themself as southern...I'm saying there isn't one person in DFW who thinks we are in the deep south. But again this is all subjective.
Regarding Atlanta v Houston. Houston is far more internationally diverse than Atlanta. Atlanta is immersed in the Deep South where Houston at best is on the crusty edge.
No, I spoke from experience. I never said ALL East Texans see themselves as southerners, as if it were fact. I said that I've personally only ever met one who did not.

I lived in Atlanta. It most certainly is not immersed in the Deep South. The city itself was never even a real cotton town but had more of an industrial history. North of the city is where you're getting into mountain country, which is the Upper South. You're just as likely to run into a New Yorker or foreigner as you are someone who's actually from Georgia. Some areas of the metro are even predominantly Mexican. Not only does Houston look more like a Deep South city, it's history is also more closely tied to it.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
OK. Lemme chime in as I've visited both.

First, when I had gone to Houston a year ago, I felt that I had never left the South. During the ride from Alabama to Houston, it all felt the same except for topographic differences. Also, in Houston, I felt like I was in Atlanta, Birmingham, or any parts of the South because there were so many blacks, and they sounded like they were from those respective places. The only thing that took away from the southern culture was the large Hispanic population, which did speak with a southern accent. Houston felt like a huge Mobile, which is super duper southern. lol.

Lastly, I've spent the whole summer last summer in Florida and have visited the state many times. The Panhandle is just an extension of Alabama and Georgia, but once when you make that turn going south on I-75 from I-10, the southern culture becomes diluted. However, the blacks and some whites hold on to the culture. Orlando's blacks are country, but Tampa's blacks are more country. Miami's blacks are country too, and yes, the Caribbean people have adapted to the southern culture, but the large Hispanic population takes a lot away from Miami's southern culture more so than Houston's.

All in all, I feel that East Texas and the Florida Panhandle are neck-in-neck in terms of southern culture. They are part of the Deep South culturally. I feel that more of Texas's heavily populated areas are more southern than Florida's due to the state's unusual shape and location of its heavily populated areas. That's just me.
Yep, I've always said this. Even the West-Indian immigrants adapt Southern Black culture once they reach South Florida. I've always maintained that Black South Floridians were as Southern as any other group of Blacks in other Southern states. There's plenty of BBQ Joints all over South Florida. And Pickeled-Eggs and Pigs Feet are popular at any hood store in South Florida. Southerners through-and-through in Opa-Locka FL(Northwest Miami-Dade County):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2xL998DUNA

Little Haiti(Miami):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS7Qzxk_KmY

Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
The Caribbean people in Miami who speak southern seem a little New Orleanian to me.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 17,693 times
When it comes down to it, Texas southern feeling cities are still more progressive than Florida southern feeling cities.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM

638 posts, read 977,927 times
Mexicans are more "Southern" than Cubans, therefore I choose Texas

Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
The Caribbean people in Miami who speak southern seem a little New Orleanian to me.
Yeah they do sound somewhat similar to folks in NO. I've always thought that to.

Chef Creole Restaurant(Little Haiti, Miami)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Tfq7VBwuo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City