Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
........WHAT?!

You do realize that Jacksonville only has massive city boundaries, right? Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, with more than 5.5 million people, has more than four times the number of people than Jacksonville, which has not even 1.4 million. Tampa Bay, the next largest metro, has more than twice the number of people than Jacksonville does.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both of Texas' largest cities, Dallas-Ft. Worth with 6.5 million, and Houston with 6 million, are in eastern Texas.

I don't buy the stereotype that Jacksonville is another southern city anymore either. It seems to me like everyone says that but no one has even been to Jacksonville to see this supposed Southern culture either. I can say of the dozen or so friends I made during my life who were from there none of them fit the southern mold like the people I met in Dallas.
I've been to both Dallas and Jacksonville. I don't see what makes J'Ville UN-Southern. It's as Southern as any other big city. I don't see how Dallas is more Southern. Politically the J'ville metro is more Conservative than Dallas. I've seen more Anti-Abortion billboards, and billboards for churches on I-95 driving through J'Ville metro, than I've ever seen in Dallas.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
I won't when such an absolutely absurd claim as this "both of the largest cities in both states are in the most culturally Southern parts of both states." was made in an attempt to paint Florida as southern. Jacksonville is by a large margin the smallest of Florida's major cities. Houston and Dallas on the other hand are hands down the largest cities in Texas, and both are in the east of the state.
Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida period. Metro wise, I get it. It's tiny compared to the other 3 larger metros in Florida, which all 3 happen to be less Southern than J'Ville. But facts are facts, J'Ville is the largest city in Florida.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Of course it is. Where else would it be considered. Dallas is completely within northeastern Texas.
Northeastern Texas is Texarkana and Tyler.

The Metroplex is North Central Texas.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Of course it is. Where else would it be considered. Dallas is completely within northeastern Texas.
No Texan would say DFW is in East Texas.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, Cajuns are most prominent in the Acadiana region of Louisiana, located in the southwestern corner of the state; however, many of their influences can be seen in New Orleans.
Not nearly enough "influence" for you to even make note of it.

Quote:
Anyways, to start off with, the time I spent at the Houston Rodeo Show last week is one of many things that confirms my point about Houston being less southern than Tampa and Orlando; the sport of rodeo is western in origin, and that fact that Houston has the largest display of such in the world allows it to fit in with other Western South cities such as Austin and Dallas.
Dallas, Texas does not have a rodeo. Louisiana, Mississippi, Maryland, and even New Jersey all have popular rodeos, so there's a hole in your logic. Houston Rodeo is nothing more than a carnival and concert for most in attendance. Furthermore, the average Houstonian has probably never even ridden a horse in their life, meaning that the cowboy/ranching lifestyle has little to no effect on our everyday culture. So, as usual, your argument holds no weight.

Many of the rreal Houston cowboys that do exist, though, are directly related to the cowboys of Louisiana:

Louisiana Farm Bureau: Southern Trail Ride - YouTube

The Real Deal Riding Club 4th Annual Trailride 2012 - YouTube

Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
East Texas and Northern Florida. A larger percentage of Floridas population would be considered southern compared to East Texas' relatively small population.
Not even counting the Houston area, more than 2 million people live in East Texas. I wouldn't say it's that small.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not even counting the Houston area, more than 2 million people live in East Texas. I wouldn't say it's that small.

I would never consider Houston being apart of East Texas. And for the other poster, Dallas is NOT in East Texas. That portion of East Texas is far smaller in population than northern Florida, which is smack dab in the middle of the Redneck Riviera. Jacksonville is in the south.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Houston isn't "East Texas" the same way New Orleans isn't "Louisiana" and NYC isn't "New York".

Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. The whole reason why those people in the panhandle wouldn't say they are "Floridian" in this case is because that label has been stolen from them by Yankee families like my own.
Your family might say they are "Floridian" but they don't say it with the same conviction that a Texan claims they are a Texan. The concept of having been their own nation is personalized among Texans and as a result they have a different perspective concerning themselves as Texans.

There are probably more Lone Star flags displayed in Texas than any other state flag in the country. Just about half the houses in the state (particularly in the smaller towns) display a Star on their walls representative of the lone star.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,531 times
Texas is about as southern as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City