Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Southern State
Texas 118 53.39%
Florida 103 46.61%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Latinos that have been in Texas generations, identify as Texans, not as southerners. New immigrant Mexicans would have no clue what you are talking about. They would identify as being in Texas not the south.
It's a mixture in Texas. There's plenty of Chicanos/Tejanos who identify as Southerners, and speak like Southerners. There there are Chicanos who have there own distinct Mexican-American cultural influences.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Latinos that have been in Texas generations, identify as Texans, not as southerners. New immigrant Mexicans would have no clue what you are talking about. They would identify as being in Texas not the south.
Again, you're making statements that I know for a matter of fact to not be true. You clearly don't know what all Hispanic Texans think, so why act as if you do?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida may not have the Mexican history, but the Spanish History of the state never really left. Spaniards were replaced with Cubans(Especially in Tampa), and then Latinos from other countries came(especially in South Florida) then Puerto Ricans in Orlando. As I said in a previous post, the Cuban history of Florida goes back, waaaay before the Mariel Boatlift in the 1970's. Old Tampa, and the older neighborhoods in the city of Tampa, served as old enclaves of Cuban immigrants in the earlier part of the last century. There were plenty of Cuban cigar factories all over the city of Tampa. Alot of the Old Tampa neighborhoods still have that Spanish/Cuban character in the architecture, and in the street names(like Avenida Alegre). And those older neighborhoods still have Cuban restaurants, and Cuban Cafes. Tampa is somewhat similar to San Antonio in that regard. Both cities haven't forgotten the culture that made those cities into what they are today. With Tampa, just replace the Tejano culture with Cuban culture. Tampa was seen as the main port from Florida to the Caribbean, and was a significant city during the Spanish-American War.

History of Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as Fort Worths motto Where The West Begins, I actually somewhat agree with that motto. Interesting enough, Florida has a small city in Palm Beach County called Lake Worth has a motto also. The motto is "Where the Tropics Begin"
Sure, Florida has rich Spanish/Cuban history. That's. Funny about Lake Worth, there's a Lake Worth in Ft Worth too.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Again, you're making statements that I know for a matter of fact to not be true. You clearly don't know what all Hispanic Texans think, so why act as if you do?
In fact I don't know one person who identifies themself as being a southerner in the traditional sense. You act like its wide spread and it isn't. Are you on the side of Texas being more southern than Florida?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
In fact I don't know one person who identifies themself as being a southerner in the traditional sense. You act like its wide spread and it isn't.
Where was I acting as if it were widespread? All I said is that they certainly do exist and are hardly unusual.

Quote:
Are you on the side of Texas being more southern than Florida?
Yes, only because the bulk of Florida's population is heavily composed of transplants, is left leaning politically, and is not located in the Bible Belt. The same cannot really be said for the bulk of Texas' population. Florida is definitely a Southern state, but less typically so than most of Texas.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Where was I acting as if it were widespread? All I said is that they certainly do exist and are hardly unusual.

Yes, only because the bulk of Florida's population is heavily composed of transplants, is left leaning politically, and is not located in the Bible Belt. The same cannot really be said for the bulk of Texas' population. Florida is definitely a Southern state, but less typically so than most of Texas.
We're just going to have to disagree and maybe that's more the difference between DFW and Houston.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
We're just going to have to disagree and maybe that's more the difference between DFW and Houston.
Well, I am including DFW in those statements.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I am including DFW in those statements.
Doesn't exist, in DFW.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

Ehhh, I'm on the fence about this. Every state that Florida boarders, is Southern. Can't say the same for Texas. Each side of Texas, takes on the culture of the state/region it boarders. With Florida, the whole panhandle borders Georgia and Alabama and is therefore Southern through and through.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I wouldn't say plenty but you will find them in Overtown, Liberty City, Miami Gardens, Carol City, and through out the metro. I will be honest and say that the native black population is declining and 20 years from now second generation caribbeans will be the new African Americans of South Florida.
Yep, my aunt and uncle stay in Miami Gardens. Middle GA roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah there's still plenty. Much just moved to Broward and Palm Beach. But I do believe you're right in that a few decades, Caribbean Black pop will become far higher than the Black American pop. Because many are just moving out of South Florida nowadays.
Yep, I have a ton of fam in Ft. Lauderdale all rooted from the same Middle GA county. They stay in Sistrunk, but I'm not sure if that area is mostly AA, Caribbean blacks, or a mix of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City