Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I don't understand your point. I never said Boston was ranked too low, too high, or just right.

My point is that Boston has world class attractions, and is a popular tourist city, and Toronto doesn't really have world class attractions, and is less of a tourist city.
So people only travel to cities to see "world class attractions"?

I'm not sure if you are aware but people travel for school, work, business, to visit family/friends, sporting events, cultural events, shows, etc. And Toronto excels in all these departments, plus it's tourist attractions. Again, you can contact MasterCard and they can answer your questions: Contact Us*

Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM

517 posts, read 677,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
So people only travel to cities to see "world class attractions"?
No, obviously they travel on business, to see relatives, and the like. What is your point?

All I said is that Toronto doesn't have world class attractions. It has absolutely none. For some reason, this seems to bother you, though no one has made any reasonable couterpoints.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Here is MasterCard's contact info: Contact Us*

Rather than complaining and whining on a message board about Toronto ranking higher than Boston, twice (rightfully so)... Maybe you can contact MasterCard and ask them why Boston barely made both top 10 lists.
What's your point? Boston is still on the list.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
No, obviously they travel on business, to see relatives, and the like. What is your point?

All I said is that Toronto doesn't have world class attractions. It has absolutely none. For some reason, this seems to bother you, though no one has made any reasonable couterpoints.
Ummm. Toronto has many world class attractions and world class events. What are you talking about lol? Maybe you need to travel more?

By the way, have you contacted MasterCard yet? They can answer your questions as to why Toronto is more visited internationally than Boston, and why people spend more money in Toronto than Boston. MC can break it down for you and give you the raw statistics you seek. They did the study (not me) so you will get much more concrete answers from them, than on a message board. If you want, you can also ask them why Vancouver crushed Boston in int'l visits and spending as well. Here is their contact page if you haven't communicated with them yet: Contact Us*

Since you don't get out much, try this. There is this search engine website called Google.com. Type in "Toronto attractions" and press enter on your keyboard. That will help you with what you are looking for as well.

You still haven't answered if Toronto doesn't have any world attractions, then why are people from the world visiting and spending more money there than in Boston according to the study?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM

41 posts, read 56,399 times
Define world class attraction?

CN tower as lame and boring as it sound, it is well known to outsiders like Sydney Opera House or House of parliament in London and Eiffel tower in Paris.

And to me it's a world class attraction ( because it's famous )

Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Ummm. Toronto has many world class attractions and world class events. What are you talking about lol? Maybe you need to travel more?

By the way, have you contacted MasterCard yet? They can answer your questions as to why Toronto is more visited internationally than Boston, and why people spend more money in Toronto than Boston. MC can break it down for you and give you the raw statistics you seek. They did the study (not me) so you will get much more concrete answers from them, than on a message board. If you want, you can also ask them why Vancouver crushed Boston in int'l visits and spending as well. Here is their contact page if you haven't communicated with them yet: Contact Us*

Since you don't get out much, try this. There is this search engine website called Google.com. Type in "Toronto attractions" and press enter on your keyboard. That will help you with what you are looking for as well.

You still haven't answered if Toronto doesn't have any world attractions, then why are people from the world visiting and spending more money there than in Boston according to the study?
I am going to guess you're still upset that the Bruins knocked out the Maple Leafs from the playoffs in dramatic fashion to continue the long streak of failing to do anything by the Maple Leafs.

Of course Toronto is going to have more international visitors than Boston, it's the 5th largest city in North America and the largest/most prominent/business center of Canada.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I am going to guess you're still upset that the Bruins knocked out the Maple Leafs from the playoffs in dramatic fashion to continue the long streak of failing to do anything by the Maple Leafs.
I don't watch hockey (sorry).

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 AM

354 posts, read 681,683 times
Here's my 2 cent on Toronto vs Boston. My work brings me to these two cities a lot in the past, maybe I can offer some insight as an "international visitor."

Both are very nice cities and I really like them, but neither are world class international draw, here in Sweden anyway. When people travel to the US, most of them will think of New York City first (there's an unhealthy obession there mostly thanks to the media). The rest will want to go to California or San Francisico, and Florida in the winter time if you belongs to the non Thailand/Spain beach crowd.

No one here really says they want to take a 8 hour flight to see Harvard squares or the CN tower. Good attractions but I don't think they are world class "tourist" destination. I mean, how many people go to England and visit Oxford University if they are not planning on studying there? Boston is a nice town, historical in American standards but as an European it doesn't really compell me to visit when compared to say the scale and scope of say New York City. I guess if I want to see Black Bay I can always go to London or other British cities? I think it's a perfectly fine getaway destination when visiting NYC but as a standalone destination it's pretty low in the general public's radar. I like Toronto quite a bit too as a city as well, it works very well I think but the main attraction for an outsider would probably be Niagara falls. Or a hockey game for some of us.

So it's funnt seeing how this gets turned into a Boston vs Toronto thing (or rather how Toronto is just as attractive to foreign tourists as Boston, when Boston has so many world class attractions). It seems its invitable to put another city down to try and prove a point, but imho neither are cities that immediately pops into your mind when planning a long distance vacation per se. But I am sure they get plently of business travellers (myself included) who enjoy spending time and money there.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Lets not have this thread turn into a Boston vs. Toronto fight...........

Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 AM

354 posts, read 681,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Lets not have this thread turn into a Boston vs. Toronto fight...........
Neither are real world class "tourist" cities. But does every cities in the world have to be one!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City