Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I don't think these are world-class attractions. They are attractions common to any big city in the developed world.
You don't think TIFF is a world class attraction? The second largest and most important film festival in the world second to Cannes - no other city other than these two host more important or prominent film festivals so yes i'd say TIFF more than qualifies for world class. Next year we have WorldPride 2014 the first North American city to host such an event. 2015 we are getting the Pan American Games... Toronto Pride is in the top 5 pride weeks in the world...We have the 3rd largest English Theatre scene in the world so anyone who makes the claim that people don't come to Toronto for its theatre scene is out of it - and the CN Tower is every bit as Iconic an attraction in its class as most any other except for a handful of others..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agreed - especially if it has a special exhibition put on by a famous artist. People will travel long distances just to see an exhibition by Artist X so these are really good draws to have in your city.
What I like about the ROM is it has the size and stature to attract big draw non permanent exhibits - this year is Mesopotamia but in recent years we had the Dead Sea scrolls and Terracotta Warriors.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say that Boston and most American cities have an advantage because American history and culture are much more well-known the world over.

So people think of the American Revolution, the British are coming, Paul Revere, the Boston Tea Party, etc. - they identify this with Boston and expect historic sites about this.

Cheers is also well-known to people in the English-speaking world and even a bit beyond.

And the Boston Red Sox are more well-known than any Toronto sports, as is their stadium Fenway Park.

Just top of mind stuff that people will name when they think of Boston.
Not feeling your comment about Fenway Park see link below re Rogers Centre... Toronto doesn't excel at displaying the impressive history of the city... Like when the Americans invaded York in the War of 1812 -up to that point in history the largest explosion ever occurred in Fort York due to ammunitions explosion that decimated a good contingent of the invading American force - and the very reason for the British to light up the 'White House' in retaliation... A nice juicy story that nobody knows about.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
^I somewhat agree. I wasn't saying people get on a plane because they wanna come see the Hockey Hall of Fame and the like. People come to the city for various reasons whether it's nightlife, just to see what Toronto is like and so on. But when people do come, they definitely check out such places.
Totally on point and deserving of a big rep - most people don't visit a city for one or two singular attractions - it is for a plethora of reasons/attractions etc..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM

85 posts, read 134,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Harvard's name is for sure recognizable, but the actual school itself? Not everyone will recognize a picture of it.

Just because something isn't on the level of Big Ben or Eiffel Tower, doesn't mean they don't have at least have some type of "world class-ness" to it. It's just like a global city discussions. There are different types and levels.

As for the bold, and the rest LOL. I don't know what else to tell you man. I'm now just sounding like a broken record here.

People have different opinions of different places. Just because you say Toronto is not a tourist appeal and Boston's attractions appeal to you more, doesn't mean everyone else has a similar opinion. The numbers of this MasterCard study alone say this.
My husband is from Toronto and we both went to school in the Boston area. I've been to Toronto a couple of times now and I enjoyed walking around the city but I do not find it more interesting than Boston. Toronto does feel bigger and more international but it doesn't have any world renowned landmarks or institutions I can think of. It also feels very quiet for a city of its size and has a lot of grungy characters walking around.

Now Toronto does have a lot of shops and international restaurants at every corner. But Boston has more historical landmarks, better museums, the BSO, easy access to coastal beaches, and more personality. Even my husband said there are no real landmarks in Toronto to visit and its best defined by multiculturism, which it surely is. I personally found Kensigton Market to be a bit dirty as it smelled bad but I did enjoy the view from the CN Tower and trying some poutine. I do think Toronto can be fun but I find Boston to be a more interesting place to visit.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:14 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not feeling your comment about Fenway Park see link below re Rogers Centre... Toronto doesn't excel at displaying the impressive history of the city... Like when the Americans invaded York in the War of 1812 -up to that point in history the largest explosion ever occurred in Fort York due to ammunitions explosion that decimated a good contingent of the invading American force - and the very reason for the British to light up the 'White House' in retaliation... A nice juicy story that nobody knows about.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines
I am a big Jays fan, consider them my team, could name the entire 25 man roster by heart...but the Skydome (Yes I still call it that, lol) is not as iconic a stadium as Fenway Park to baseball fans. I hate the Sox but there is no denying that it is the most historic stadium in the league. Are you a baseball fan?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am a big Jays fan, consider them my team, could name the entire 25 man roster by heart...but the Skydome (Yes I still call it that, lol) is not as iconic a stadium as Fenway Park to baseball fans. I hate the Sox but there is no denying that it is the most historic stadium in the league. Are you a baseball fan?
I was a fan once upon a time when the Jays actually were worth watching - but not sure what your post has to do with my link? I'm not talking about the most famous ballpark in the North American context - the link was worldwide - hey if you have something to counter my claim i'm all eyes and ears

Factor in as well the Rogers Centre isn't just for Baseball... Its a multi faceted entertainment venue - consider things like this..

Sensation White Saturday Night - thestar.com

The Rogers Centre will also host the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2015 Pan American Games..

psssstttt btw it was a DUMB name change - but hey no arguing whatever you call it when it comes to Toronto it has people talking pretty much more than any other attraction here believe it or not

Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
No landmarks?

Toronto landmarks:

CN Tower
City Hall (Nathan Phillips Square)
Dundas Square/Eaton Centre
Union Station
Rogers Centre (Skydome)
Casa Loma
ROM crystal
Art Gallery of Ontario
Ontario College of Art and Design (Probably one of the weirdest buildings you'll ever see)
St. James Cathedral
Gooderham Flatiron Building

Old 08-21-2013, 04:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I agree. Boston has a lot of history and character. Toronto is just a bland, kinda of soulless North American city. Don't often hear of tourists wanting to visit Toronto, mostly Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec City. Most trips there are probably just stop-overs as it's the gateway to Canada. Chicago is sort of the same thing. I felt there were more international visitors in Boston than DC actually.
I disagree.

I've heard nothing but enthusiastic and glowing reports about Toronto, although I've been to Canada many times - places like Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec, Halifax, etc. - I am looking forward to visiting Toronto. They tell me some of the neighborhoods are vibrant and there is a fantastic restaurant and nightlife scene.

Boston has more than just "history" and "character" ... it has superb museums and cultural amenities.

Here is a bit of trivia:

For the past half century, what is and has been the #1 tourist attraction in New York City?

A. Empire State Building
B. Statue of Liberty
C. Central Park
D. Rockefeller Center
E. (Former) World Trade Center
F. None of the above

Answer:

F. None of the above.

The #1 tourist attraction in New York City is The Metropolitan Museum Of Art.

Do NOT underestimate the popularity of museums in attracting tourists to a city.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:29 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I was a fan once upon a time when the Jays actually were worth watching - but not sure what your post has to do with my link? I'm not talking about the most famous ballpark in the North American context - the link was worldwide - hey if you have something to counter my claim i'm all eyes and ears

Factor in as well the Rogers Centre isn't just for Baseball... Its a multi faceted entertainment venue - consider things like this..

Sensation White Saturday Night - thestar.com
Your a terrible Jays fan man Just because we suck doesn't mean the team isn't worth watching!

I admittedly didn't even notice your link, lol. So I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.