Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Dude, most of the world has a standard that is well below Toronto's comparatively immaculate and upscale attractions? Have you ever been to the Taj Mahal? I have and it's gorgeous, but crumbling and as soon as you leave the grounds your thrust into horrific squalor.

I understand that many of Toronto's attractions arent world famous, but they are world class imo.

And that goes for most US/Canadian cities...we are too hard on ourselves.
+1!

Not to mention the QOL is better in most NA cities than most of the dumpy world

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
+1!

Not to mention the QOL is better in most NA cities than most of the dumpy world
I tried to rep ya but I need to spread it around. lol

Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
Boston certainly isn't a "First Tier" type global travel destination (say Paris, Rome, NYC, etc.), but it's definitely Top 10 in North America.

You have tons of history, an attractive walkable environment, lots of culture, the world's most legendary university, and access to famous areas like Cape Code, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and the Maine coast.

Just my opinion, but I would certainly visit Boston before Toronto, to take one example. Really only NYC, LA, and SF would be far ahead of Boston in desirability for foreign tourists, IMO (and possibly include Orlando and Vegas, though those are "special cases" where the city is basically irrelevant, and the attraction is either amusement parks or gambling).

I would personally consider Montreal, Miami, Chicago and DC to be in the same general league as Boston in terms of visitor desirability. Philly and maybe Seattle might enter the conversation, too.
I agree. Boston has a lot of history and character. Toronto is just a bland, kinda of soulless North American city. Don't often hear of tourists wanting to visit Toronto, mostly Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec City. Most trips there are probably just stop-overs as it's the gateway to Canada. Chicago is sort of the same thing. I felt there were more international visitors in Boston than DC actually.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
i don't think anyone is surprised. All you do is need to talk to anyone from Europe about america and they all want to go to New York. New York is the promise land, a true world class city in their eyes. Now with travelers from America, that may be a different story though still may be the most popular destination. Personally New York has never interested me. Wouldn't mind visiting but not gonna go out of my way to get there.
Ha, I've dreamed of visiting NYC since I was a little kid. I live about as far away as you can get from it (Perth, Western Australia - well until recently) and felt i'd finally 'arrived' when i ended for trip of the US there. So I kinda go when people who live in say Pennsylvania say they've never been there...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 AM

to people who think people see Toronto as a big tourist attraction, lol. Nothing about Toronto is unique, nothing...(only in that lame 'but every city is unique way'). Boston is chock full of fascinating attractions. Toronto is just another city. I've been to China, why would I be so interested in a Chinatown?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
to people who think people see Toronto as a big tourist attraction, lol. Nothing about Toronto is unique, nothing...(only in that lame 'but every city is unique way'). Boston is chock full of fascinating attractions. Toronto is just another city. I've been to China, why would I be so interested in a Chinatown?
Lol. Toronto is "just another city" yet the list of international visitors says otherwise.

Boston barely made the lists.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 AM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Lol. Toronto is "just another city" yet the list of international visitors says otherwise.

Boston barely made the lists.
Canadian cities along the border will always have greater proportional numbers than equivalent cities in the U.S. because of proximity to 300 million people in the U.S. The cities are essentially boosted by being located near an international border of one of the world's most populous countries.

And I'm not believing the comments from the Toronto boosters. They seriously never heard of Harvard University? They regard Ripleys Believe it or Not as a world-class attraction?

There are no real world-class or iconic attractions in Toronto. There is one relatively close, though, and it probably boosts tourism in Toronto. Niagara Falls is obviously a world-class attraction, but it isn't really a Toronto attraction.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Canadian cities along the border will always have greater proportional numbers than equivalent cities in the U.S. because of proximity to 300 million people in the U.S. The cities are essentially boosted by being located near an international border of one of the world's most populous countries.

And I'm not believing the comments from the Toronto boosters. They seriously never heard of Harvard University? They regard Ripleys Believe it or Not as a world-class attraction?

There are no real world-class or iconic attractions in Toronto. There is one relatively close, though, and it probably boosts tourism in Toronto. Niagara Falls is obviously a world-class attraction, but it isn't really a Toronto attraction.
Here is MasterCard's contact info: Contact Us*

Rather than complaining and whining on a message board about Toronto ranking higher than Boston, twice (rightfully so)... Maybe you can contact MasterCard and ask them why Boston barely made both top 10 lists.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 AM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Here is MasterCard's contact info: Contact Us*

Rather than complaining and whining on a message board about Toronto ranking higher than Boston, twice (rightfully so)... Maybe you can contact MasterCard and ask them why Boston barely made both top 10 lists.
I don't understand your point. I never said Boston was ranked too low, too high, or just right.

My point is that Boston has world class attractions, and is a popular tourist city, and Toronto doesn't really have world class attractions, and is less of a tourist city.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:21 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
How do the numbers change if it's just including visitors from outside both US and Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City