Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The highest income counties in the U.S. for 2014 are #1. New York County (Manhattan) and #2 Santa Clara County (San Jose). No county in the U.S. comes close to these two counties.

San Francisco is nowhere near the top in average or median pay. If you want the big bucks, you go to the NYC area, or San Jose area.
That's not what his numbers show. If you're saying they're incorrect, you should other ones. They don't seem incorrect from what I can remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nearly every American on this list made their BILLION in the BAY
The World's Youngest Billionaires 2014: 31 Under 40 - Forbes
So what?

Old 12-06-2014, 07:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
31/7.5 Million = .00004%

at least the mean and medians relate to the area - 31 is an outlier at best
His argument that "# of billionaires relates to the quality of a city" is absurd. If that were the case, then San Jose, Beijing, and Mumbai are apparently high-quality cities, because they all have large representation on this list.

"Gee, Marge, forget Paris or Rome next year, let's go to San Jose, I hear the strip malls and tract houses are nice this time of year. After all, I hear there are a few dozen young people who are billionaires!..."

Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So what?
So dont talk to me about the net worth of some ditzy entitled millenial who sings when I can turn over a rock in the Bay and find kid billionaires.

Yawns.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
So dont talk to me about the net worth of some ditzy entitled millenial who sings when I can turn over a rock in the Bay and find kid billionaires.

Yawns.
I didn't talk about the net worth of a singer. Huh? What are you referring to?

Old 12-06-2014, 07:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
That's not what his numbers show. If you're saying they're incorrect, you should other ones. They don't seem incorrect from what I can remember.
His numbers are incorrect, or at least outdated. Here are the most recent numbers-
Employment and Wages in New York City - First Quarter 2014 : New York?New Jersey Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Highest wages in the U.S. are in New York County. Second highest wage growth in the U.S. is in New York County.

And he keeps conflating the issue by using "San Jose" for "San Francisco". If he wants to compare San Jose to NYC, then do so. But it's absurd to argue for things that SF does well, then argue for things SJ does well, and then try and pretend that there's some imaginary city somewhere that takes the best attributes of two separate areas.

San Francisco does not have particuarly high wages, not does it have particularly high wage growth. San Jose does have high wages and good wage growth. New York has more high income counties in the top 10 than San Francisco or San Jose metro areas. Fairfeld County, Somerset County, and Morris County are also in the top 10.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 AM

I suspect the two numbers are measuring slightly different things, but I don't feel like digging deeper.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I didn't talk about the net worth of a singer.
Yes, but I was responding to a post by qworldorder.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I was responding to a post by qworldorder.
No. You said "don't talk to me" in a post directed to me. In any case, I made it clear that I have no interest in arguing over # of rich people over and over again. And so have many other people.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
His numbers are incorrect, or at least outdated. Here are the most recent numbers-
Employment and Wages in New York City - First Quarter 2014 : New York?New Jersey Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Highest wages in the U.S. are in New York County. Second highest wage growth in the U.S. is in New York County.

And he keeps conflating the issue by using "San Jose" for "San Francisco". If he wants to compare San Jose to NYC, then do so. But it's absurd to argue for things that SF does well, then argue for things SJ does well, and then try and pretend that there's some imaginary city somewhere that takes the best attributes of two separate areas.

San Francisco does not have particuarly high wages, not does it have particularly high wage growth. San Jose does have high wages and good wage growth. New York has more high income counties in the top 10 than San Francisco or San Jose metro areas. Fairfeld County, Somerset County, and Morris County are also in the top 10.
Nope. This is only data for a single quarter and fluctuates. San Mateo and Santa Clara and Manhattan routinely swap the top spot in quarterly wage charts from bls.

bea.gov compiles a figure for the entire year.

So yeah, blah blah blah and I will continue to combine SJ and SF at my pleasure and discretion because hundreds of thousands of people live in one and work in the other including myself, because the pay is just so damn good$$$$$$

So you may bellyache and whine all you want, its no sweat off my back at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City