Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
????

NYC makes San Francisco look as grimy as Disneyland.
SF is much, much dirtier and grimier than NYC. SF is probably the dirtiest of the top American cities. It's posh but also very grimy.

It's certainly the American city where you are most likely to see homeless person poop and that kind of nasty stuff. Just take a stroll down Market or anywhere in Tenderloin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 06:02 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
SF is much, much dirtier and grimier than NYC. SF is probably the dirtiest of the top American cities. It's posh but also very grimy.
I think you have your NYC-homer goggles strapped on way too tight. Unfasten please.

Here are the google results for "NYC trash". San Francisco can surprise you with its grit, but even on its worst day, it has nothing on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Old 12-20-2014, 06:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
I think you have your NYC-homer goggles strapped on way too tight. Unfasten please.

Here are the google results for "NYC trash". San Francisco can surprise you with its grit, but even on its worst day, it has nothing on this:

The kettle calling the pot black. This is neither cities' strong suit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...89.XzqsQfjVxVM

Old 12-20-2014, 06:18 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
I think you're basically the only person on earth who doesn't think SF has a significant issue with the homeless or street grit. You should probably visit sometime, open your eyes, and get back to us. Hope you don't get a BART/MUNI seat with bum poop.
Quote:
Wow, that proves it, I guess? Who knew that we don't actual need verifiable data anymore? Just Google Pics for the win!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

It's certainly the American city where you are most likely to see homeless person poop and that kind of nasty stuff. Just take a stroll down Market or anywhere in Tenderloin.
Exactly. Union Square down market street, its dirty and grimy compared to similar areas of New York. That was the biggest turn off to me, and the amount of bums (agressive ones at that) was staggering.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:

Wow, your results have a picture from 1958!! That proves everything lol!!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Wow, your results have a picture from 1958!! That proves everything lol!!
The VAST majority of those pictures of present day NYC, and it is easily dirtier than San Francisco. This like being admonished for pot use by a heroin addict.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
The VAST majority of those pictures of present day NYC, and it is easily dirtier than San Francisco. This like being admonished for pot use by a heroin addict.
Your opinion is highly subjective. Neither city is very clean. Density doesn't lend itself well to cleanliness.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:51 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
The kettle calling the pot black. This is neither cities' strong suit.

True but what both of those google pic links show is SF, like pretty much every city, using garbage bins as well as recycling and composting bins for trash pickup. It's pretty gross throwing all your trash in a bag on the street. I certainly don't think SF is clean but NYC is pretty bad.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
True but what both of those google pic links show is SF, like pretty much every city, using garbage bins as well as recycling and composting bins for trash pickup. It's pretty gross throwing all your trash in a bag on the street. I certainly don't think SF is clean but NYC is pretty bad.
And NYC doesn't use bins? Lol it's the exact same thing. This is a point where neither city can boast. Both throw their garbage into the street. This is a moot discussion, imo. Stick with per capita wealth and nature for better arguments.

Why is San Francisco So Dirty? - Reset San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City