Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Honestly LA was built on film industry.LA film is on the decline, Hollywood isn't dominate like 30 yeara ago.LA prime has pass and other cities are improving.
This is what I was talking about.

There is no doubt the Hollywood film industry (though really at this point just a title, centered on LA but spread all over) is in decline. It would be hard to argue the city is in decline though, other then through vague hyperbolic statements like this.

There is actually a thread in the LA forums that is something like "is LA in decline". Of course there are a few who think it is, but the majority of people do not see it as being in decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,207 times
I haven't met a Chicagoan yet that cares enough to argue the merits of Chicago. The city speaks for itself. Just like San Francisco it's not about being bigger than anyone anymore, it's about the city and it's urban qualities. This is the best either city have ever been IMO and only keep getting better.*

I love both cities that I mentioned in my paragraph up there. Both of them give me exactly what I want out of a city, I don't care for scenery and weather that much and only care for the city. As long as we're talking about the cities they are both my 2A and 2B options after Brooklyn.*

Old 08-21-2012, 06:48 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City I can understand. But LA? Hell no. That place is a gigantic suburb. The reason LA is on people's radar is because Hollywood movies are made there. Anyone who doesn't believe this can ask someone who isn't into movies/glamor/pop culture what they think of LA.
Here is what I think. LA is a grimy dense concrete jungle that just lacks height. Driving through korea town, parts of east hollywood, different hoods, nothing really feels suburban other than say compton and the hills. I see graffiti on the sides of buildings, old buildings with their shutters down showing more tags much like you'd see in NYC. Corner stores, wilshire blvd.

LA's glamor is just a side shown on TV, LA's grime is another story.

Play this music while driving through LA and you will get the same feel as if you were driving through Chicago or NY.

New York graffiti - YouTube

Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City I can understand. But LA? Hell no. That place is a gigantic suburb. The reason LA is on people's radar is because Hollywood movies are made there. Anyone who doesn't believe this can ask someone who isn't into movies/glamor/pop culture what they think of LA.

Agreed.

LA is basically Hollywood, thats it, and its probably the most overrated and unimpressive "city" in the country and even the world. Its a string of suburbs. Vast sprawl of freeways.

Not impressed in the least.

I think Chicago is on a higher tier, so im not sure what the OP line of thinking is about anyway.

The most appealing aspect to LA isnt even the city itself, its the weather.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Agreed.

LA is basically Hollywood, thats it, and its probably the most overrated and unimpressive "city" in the country and even the world. Its a string of suburbs. Vast sprawl of freeways.

Not impressed in the least.

I think Chicago is on a higher tier, so im not sure what the OP line of thinking is about anyway.

The most appealing aspect to LA isnt even the city itself, its the weather.
Refer to above post.
ALso I love Chicago.
Born in LA, but got a Chi(or overall east coast) mentality.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM

I did.

LA has a totally different vibe than that.

LA is not the envy of the country or the world, just because of Hollywood.

Its weather to me is the only draw, and thats something not unique to the city itself.

Call it Northern bias, etc. but its just how I feel.

Not impressed.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I did.

On the west side and near the beaches yeah.

But the rest doesn't have that hollywood feel. Believe me, if you never been to LA, and woke up in koreatown on western you would not think you were in LA. Or in spring street or Broadway aswell.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
On the west side and near the beaches yeah.

But the rest doesn't have that hollywood feel. Believe me, if you never been to LA, and woke up in koreatown on western you would not think you were in LA. Or in spring street or Broadway aswell.

I disagree. I dont think its anything like NY. Its got a West Coast vibe to it. Especially SF.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I haven't met a Chicagoan yet that cares enough to argue the merits of Chicago. The city speaks for itself. Just like San Francisco it's not about being bigger than anyone anymore, it's about the city and it's urban qualities. This is the best either city have ever been IMO and only keep getting better.*

I love both cities that I mentioned in my paragraph up there. Both of them give me exactly what I want out of a city, I don't care for scenery and weather that much and only care for the city. As long as we're talking about the cities they are both my 2A and 2B options after Brooklyn.*

Pretty much.

I agree on the scenery and weather part.

Cities make cities.

IMO, if youre using scenery and weather as a tipping point for a city, then its not the city itself.

Take away the weather, take away the scenery, and look at a city for what it is. Thats what im talking about.

Which is why I say the weather is not unique to LA. You can get warm weather anywhere (obviously in different degrees).

There are plenty of US cities that rank at the top that have awful weather. So that tells me the city itself is doing something right.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I did.

LA is not the envy of the country or the world, just because of Hollywood.

Its weather to me is the only draw, and thats something not unique to the city itself.

Call it Northern bias, etc. but its just how I feel.

Not impressed.
I love LA since I'm from there. I admire NYC. Especially after living in Chicago. It was like an appetizer.

That's why I like going to downtown LA alot.

But other than being from there, I see LA as an underdog full of misconceptions. LA is more dense than people think. I do envy NYC for it's dominance of high rises. I do wish LA was more like that. You can say "move to NYC then". But NYC isn't my city. LA is. I do criticize LA alot.

But I know the feel of LA can match that big city feel. Just forget the fact that most of the buildings stop at 5 floors.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City