Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You took 95 out of DC really? WOW. NEWS FLASH! 95 doesn't even come into DC? Like I mentioned earlier genuis, you don't know but you think you know.
You know personally I don't know or care, DC roads and highways were a nightmare to remember so I just used my iPhone for GPS. I think it was 295 to 95. Don't know because you folks in the dC-Baltimore region have a lot of -95 roads. 295, 395, 495, 95, just a mess especially with the traffic!

I can see why Metro is used as much as it is. That traffic is a nightmare. Especially the standstills between DC and Baltimore if you're coming back to the district after work. Good luck making it in time for dinner..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
So if no one cares then why are you debating me? In fact, it seems like you have a cheat sheet already written out of what to say and what excuses to use. As stated before, sucks. Sucks to be you! Sucks that you have parkland and ghettos disrupting your development from Baltimore into DC but deal with it, its no where close to as developed as the bay. PupupupuPERIOD!
There is no debate, and i've explained the same point to your bay area counterparts on countless occasions before. Who needs a cheat sheet when you know the numbers by heart:

List of United States combined statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Nah, it doesn't suck. It's actually a blessing that we have trees and beautiful leaves and greenery. And you have brush fires and everything is brown and dreary. That rhymed. LOL
Ah the ole Shakespeare in the park routine... ah sorry sorry, parkland, ah sorry FEDERAL parkland. LOL forgot we're talking about DC here

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
You know personally I don't know or care, DC roads and highways were a nightmare to remember so I just used my iPhone for GPS. I think it was 295 to 95. Don't know because you folks in the dC-Baltimore region have a lot of -95 roads. 295, 395, 495, 95, just a mess especially with the traffic!

I can see why Metro is used as much as it is. That traffic is a nightmare. Especially the standstills between DC and Baltimore if you're coming back to the district after work. Good luck making it in time for dinner..

So basically like I said, you were on the B/W Parkway (295), which is Federal land, which equals no development.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There is no debate, and i've explained the same point to your bay area counterparts on countless occasions before. Who needs a cheat sheet when you know the numbers by heart:

List of United States combined statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok so hostility aside because I actually liked DC, I don't want to be ripping on it. Answer this to me as truthfully as you can and as unbiased as you can be and that goes for all you DC and Baltimore folks here.

How big do you feel DC-Baltimore to be? Based off feel alone and explain yourself, that'll help.

kthnx

Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Ah the ole Shakespeare in the park routine... ah sorry sorry, parkland, ah sorry FEDERAL parkland. LOL forgot we're talking about DC here
Yes, Federal parkland. When you live in DC, the Feds become a part of your daily existence like or not. Street closures, motorcades, protests, government regulations, etc...We basically roll with the punches they throw but we also reap some of the benefits they provide. It's a gift and a curse. All in all, you made yourself look very foolish because you did not know any better.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Ok so hostility aside because I actually liked DC, I don't want to be ripping on it. Answer this to me as truthfully as you can and as unbiased as you can be and that goes for all you DC and Baltimore folks here.

How big do you feel DC-Baltimore to be? Based off feel alone and explain yourself, that'll help.

kthnx

DC feels about 5-6 million to me; Baltimore considerably smaller. As a region it feels a little larger.

DC as a metro feels about as large as a Philly or SF to me, because well that is about their size. SF gets shortchanged on MSA and gifted on CSA IMHO. I think these three metros feel about the same size. Different make ups but feel about the same. As cities themselves SF and Philly to me feel larger than DC on the whole not on metro though. Honestly I really think you need to spend a lot of time in these places to get a great feel. Remember that DC or Philly will have a more blob formation and the Bay more linear. So the Bay is longer and DC and Philly as examples are rounder so coming in or leaving one side makes the distance feel shorter. Just as east/west feels really small in the Bay. You are caught up on something here, remember that the space in between DC and Baltimore, say Beltway to Beltway is not where the bolous live. If you wandered around Silver Springs, Bethesda, Rockville, Arlington, Alexandria, McClean, Reston, Herdon Sterling etc you may have had a different view on size.

LA on the other hand just seems to go on forever (basically all directions), in a way that none of these places do

NY Ave is the pits but better than it was.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:

kthnx

I don't know how big DC & Bmore are compared to SF & Oakland but I do know that they are way more fast-paced. SF is more urban than DC but DC has more hustle and bustle. They both are similarly cosmopolitan. Bmore is more urban than Oakland on Oakland's best day.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
All in all, you made yourself look very foolish because you did not know any better.
Not really. My point is they are not one continuously developed metro and DC and Baltimore are not. Federal parkland or lunar spacerocket, if you want to call DC and Baltimore a metro then I want to call LA and San Diego one metro because the development between the two is much denser and the only thing standing in their way is the military base, just like your federal parkland for DC. Just like DC and Baltimore, development curves through the IE into San Diego, yet no one from LA is trying to say they are a metro of 21M.

We work with what we have, sorry that they made it impossible for you folks there to continue your development but cry about it because I'm not heading off from that. I've seen the region and most likely much more of it than you have of the bay period and really even as a city DC is much less developed than San Francisco. Its less developed than Boston, Chicago, NYC, Phily, and LA and at this point I don't want to be the one to say it but I cant see how they're that far ahead of Seattle.

If you want to disagree then be sure to. If you want to continue the charades of trying to make DC out to be THAT big city when we both deep down inside know its not, then be my guest but please don't sit there trying to tell me you're a developed region or that your city can knock LA or the bay for being suburban.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Not really. My point is they are not one contnuously developed metro and DC and Baltimore are not. Federal parkland or lunar spacerocket, if you want to call DC and Baltimore a metro then I want to call LA and San Diego one metro because the development between the two is much denser and the only thing standing in their way is the military base, just like your federal parkland for DC.

We work with what we have, sorry that they made it impossible for you folks there to contnue your development but cry about it because I'm not heading off from that. I've seen the region and frankly even as a city DC is much less developed than San Francisco. Its less developed than Boston, Chicago, NYC, Phily, and LA and at this point I don't want to be the one to say it but I cant see how they're any higher than Seattle.

If you want to disagree then be sure to. If you want to continue the charades of trying to make DC out to be THAT big city when we both deep down inside know its not, then be my guest but please don't sit there trying to tell me your a developed region or that your city can knock LA or the bay for being suburban.
I'll just hit you with some facts. DT DC is much more developed than DT LA, DT SF, DT Oakland. Hence the 100 million square feet of office space? How much does SF, LA & Oakland have? Is that development for you? The DC region has more office space than any other region except NYC. Is that development for you? DT DC has beaten out SF & LA in walkability in recent years? DC has one subway line (Red) that has more riders than the entire BART system. The DC region has three major airports. Is that big city enough for you? How many does SF have? You can't make a judgement on the DC region with one visit. Plus, you entered DC from a run down area, now you are an expert. I am still laughing at the "I took 95 out of DC" post. That's like me saying, I took the Golden Gate Bridge into San Jose. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City