Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

BTW need a good vibrant dinner suggestion for the Dupont Sq area for tomorrow night
District Commons has a pretty good craft beer menu if that is your thing. It's right by the foggy bottom metro, about a 5 min cab ride from Dupont. Food is above average as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times
Quote:
Though Chi Town als has some great nabes utside of the DT too, especially North of the DT

BTW need a good vibrant dinner suggestion for the Dupont Sq area for tomorrow night
There is this awesome Mexican place in DuPont. I can't remember the name. It's huge, two stories with a real nice rooftop deck. Does anyone know the name of this place?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
There is this awesome Mexican place in DuPont. I can't remember the name. It's huge, two stories with a real nice rooftop deck. Does anyone know the name of this place?
Im guessing El Centro, though not Dupont Circle technically.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Chicago for now. Maybe ask in about 5 yrs and this will be a better comparison. The multiple waterfronts and City Center DC being built will make this a much better competition in a few years.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
I've lived in both cities. Love both downtowns. Chicago easily takes this though.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM

148 posts, read 238,721 times
Default hmmm.

to me this is obvious, however only becuase ive not ever been to DC. im pretty sure based upon what i read up on this forum and all the boosters for it, downtown DC is definitely up next on places to visit and explore. I mean, shouldnt the capital city of the USA have a really eye opening holy wow downtown? forgive me if there are others on here that already feel that way... and i know theres not a dedicated shopping district per se, but imo shopping isnt a definitive factor that makes a city downtown better. i think of architecture and historical landmarks more so that define and characterize a downtown. but then again there are others that would like more shopping and nightlife... personally i could ride the el around the loop for hours just looking at well, everything lol.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM

27,554 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Though Chi Town als has some great nabes utside of the DT too, especially North of the DT

What's your budget? If you want upscale, then check out Komi.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
to me this is obvious, however only becuase ive not ever been to DC. im pretty sure based upon what i read up on this forum and all the boosters for it, downtown DC is definitely up next on places to visit and explore. I mean, shouldnt the capital city of the USA have a really eye opening holy wow downtown? forgive me if there are others on here that already feel that way... and i know theres not a dedicated shopping district per se, but imo shopping isnt a definitive factor that makes a city downtown better. i think of architecture and historical landmarks more so that define and characterize a downtown. but then again there are others that would like more shopping and nightlife... personally i could ride the el around the loop for hours just looking at well, everything lol.
I like to walk and Chicago offers a better experience to me than DC. DC is walkable too and it's fun to walk around. But a few of the streets are very wide such as Pennsylvania, K Street, Connecticut Ave, etc. I can't think of a street in the Loop that has streets like Penn Ave. Both cities sidewalks are very wide. Too wide in some places.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Im guessing El Centro, though not Dupont Circle technically.
No it's not called El Centro and it's for sure in DuPont Circle. It's on a corner (haha if that helps). I know it was very close to where they filmed the Real World.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
DC has a bustling downtown? Boston's downtown is busier and more vibant than DC's.
Downtown DC is boring, not even close to Chicago's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City