Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which middle Midwest metro is best: Kansas City, Saint Louis, Omaha, Indianapolis
Kansas City MO 59 29.80%
Saint Louis MO 90 45.45%
Omaha NE 19 9.60%
Indianapolis IN 30 15.15%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,974,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Indianoplace
LOL. I had never heard that one before. It's really a misperception, but it's still funny as a slam.

I went to a WNBA Fever game last summer, spur of the moment, and the place had TONS of energy. Lots of people out and about downtown, lots of fun. Wasn't dead at all. Actually the downtown with the Canalwalk, museums, and parks/bike paths connecting them all (plus throw in the Circle Center area) is nicer than a whole lot of other cities' downtown. But that name is still funny.

One interesting thing is that Indiana state troopers tend to nail people for speeding a WHOLE lot more than lots of other states do, ie. for not much above 5mph over the limit. Somebody warned me before I drove to Indianapolis to really watch out, and then a couple of family members of mine who are truck drivers said the same thing when I brought it up. I was careful and didn't get ticketed but still it's more like Indianailyobutt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,193,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
No, but people in Indianapolis have to deal their own stereotypes and confusion. You know, that there's no culture...the terrain has absolutely no elevation and there's only two trees in the entire city...it's boring (in spite of the fact that it has the exact same amenities any city of 2 million would have)...it's the size of Evansville, IN and is located where Evansville, IN is...a massive suburb with no core neighborhoods...etc, etc, etc...

Also, it's equally annoying when people try to conflate Indianapolis and Indiana as if they're the exact same thing...people saying they're visiting "downtown Indiana" and going to the "Indiana super bowl"--seriously. It's Indianapolis's super bowl, not Indiana's. I read some of those articles in the New York Times and you would not believe the smugness and condescension.

I would even go so far as to say that a city like Indianapolis suffers more from stereotypes than does Omaha, KC, or St. Louis does.
I believe that.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,988,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's JoCo and KCMO that have issues.
Kind of like St Charles County and St Louis over regional issues

Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,681,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier, but another benefit is that there are many other cities nearby within a short drive. In 4 hours or less, you can be in Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Chicago from Indy.
It has been mentioned before, I think here and in a couple others. I do consider it a good point against both Omaha and KC to an extent (airplanes limit impact quite a bit, but I do love to drive), but I don't really get it as much against St. Louis as it has a lot of interstates that radiate out to other nice cities not too far away. With your 4 hour mark, from St. Louis I've reached KC, Chicago, Indy, Louisville, Memphis, etc. Not arguing that it's easier from Indy, it is (Cincy right there is quite cool), but road trips from St. Louis are nice and easy to come by too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Issues? With St. Charles County? Why I never...

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,941,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Exactly like S Charles, only Johnson County is able to take it many steps further because it's in a different state. There is only so much St Charles can do to harm StL City, County etc. Johnson County on the other hand is a real thorn in the side of KCMO. Plus JoCo is a much larger portion of the kc metro than St Charles is to StL metro which makes things even worse.

Imagine if St Louis County was in some independent state separate from Missouri. Then imagine if StL County would not work with StL city or any other county on ANY issue in the region. Transit, museums, stadiums, zoo, schools deseg. Nothing.

Then imagine if StL County did everything in their power to poach and steal everything from STL City. Offering tens of millions of dollars in incentives to bring "new" jobs to this independent state. I know this goes on to some degree with Clayton and other suburbs, but it's nothing like what goes on in KC.

It’s difficult to compare because there is simply not a comparable situation in the county to KCMO/JoCo. St Charles gives you a taste of what it’s like, but even that is pretty far from what KC deals with.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,974,609 times
Seems like that description of Johnson County Kansans reminds me a lot of the Hatfields in the recent TV drama- backstabbing thieving lowlifes who put their little family above any sense of morals or decency and who slaps hands that try to reach out to them. It's really sad if those JoCo folks are as cutthroat and conniving as it sounds.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,445,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Exactly like S Charles, only Johnson County is able to take it many steps further because it's in a different state. There is only so much St Charles can do to harm StL City, County etc. Johnson County on the other hand is a real thorn in the side of KCMO. Plus JoCo is a much larger portion of the kc metro than St Charles is to StL metro which makes things even worse.

Imagine if St Louis County was in some independent state separate from Missouri. Then imagine if StL County would not work with StL city or any other county on ANY issue in the region. Transit, museums, stadiums, zoo, schools deseg. Nothing.

Then imagine if StL County did everything in their power to poach and steal everything from STL City. Offering tens of millions of dollars in incentives to bring "new" jobs to this independent state. I know this goes on to some degree with Clayton and other suburbs, but it's nothing like what goes on in KC.

It’s difficult to compare because there is simply not a comparable situation in the county to KCMO/JoCo. St Charles gives you a taste of what it’s like, but even that is pretty far from what KC deals with.
I suppose if Kansas City was rolling around in the dough, they wouldn't be tempted to lure business away from JOCO because they're above that. It has always been survival of the fittest. The truth is that KCMO has no one to blame but themselves for all their own problems-- and they have made good and bad decisions. Be ashamed at how biased you are! Look at the post right above. It's a prime of example of how easy it is to spread ignorance.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,941,843 times
^ LOL. KCK gets **** on by JoCo as much or more than KCMO does. They just don't have as much to "take", but JoCo still takes what they can get from KCK. Like the regional EPA HQ (which moved to KCK from KCMO less than 15 years ago to revitalize downtown KCK). I have never heard anybody from JoCo say something nice about KCK other than Village West (which is more like Bonner Springs than KCK).

Have fun with your vacant EPA office building in downtown KCK, the only class A office building in downtown KCK. It will probably be vacant for a good decade before they finally break it up into a bunch of cheap class B or C space and get it 40% leased. Meanwhile, the "ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY" will move to some far flung office park in Johnson County into a building that was built with incentives to lure Applebee's from Overland Park who lured them from KCMO.

If even five percent of the office parks in JoCo were in downtown KCK then KCK would be a different place today. Instead they continue to subsidize sprawl clear out west of 435 while 99% of the city has not changed (for the better) in 50 plus years.

The only thing Kansas knows how to do is grow suburban sprawl and they can't even do that without extreme subsidies and poaching from within their own metro. If it was not for KCMO, JoCo would still be a wheat field and if it were not for JoCo, KCMO would have a skyline more like Denver or Minneapolis today because most of what is in those JoCo office parks came from KCMO (and KCK).

As a KCK resident do you ever ask "why are there no KS based companies in KCK"? Garmin? Sprint? Black and Veatch? Nothing. KCK could be a St Paul or Fort Worth or even Covington if there was any interest in urban areas on the KS side at all.

I actually like KCK. I just see a ton of wasted opportunity there and now they are trying to be JoCo lite way out west. Whatever I guess. But I'm telling you JoCo is not your friend. KCMO and KCK are best pals compared to JoCo and KCK. JoCo's only friend in metro KC is JoCo and even suburban cities within JoCo poach from each other via corporate welfare and fight over such nonsense.

BTW, KCK just gave up on trying to keep the EPA. You can read more here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...-the-hard.html

Last edited by kcmo; 06-08-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,174,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
It has always been survival of the fittest.
Sounds like you don't know what that means. Here's a hint: it's the opposite of huge corporate welfare handouts.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,193,358 times
We miss out on that that suburb drama up here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City