Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 07:13 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkalvarez86 View Post
Most of the major industries on the east coast are concentrated in NY. So if New Jersey and Pennsylvania were added, it wouldn't really add anything NY didn't already have.
Except, perhaps, better drivers from Pennsylvania (joking ).

This is an interesting thread. Personally, I've always thought of NY, NJ and PA as forming a great trifecta of states; easily the three most important/nationally significant states that share a border with one another. Each state is complemented in some way by the other two. The competition with California would be fierce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
California all day long!!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Wrong again.

Plenty of Cornell grads stay in NY. I am a Cornell grad who grew up in New Jersey, and I like many of my classmates, stayed in the area. If you spent any time in upstate (which by your posts you clearly haven't) then you would understand that Ithaca and Syracuse have a very healthy population of cornell grads.
I have a name for you but it would get me banned.

Listen here bucky, I grew up there. I spent 18 years of my life in upstate New York. And Ithaca/Cornell was a regular spot as my grandparents live just over in Etna.

I even helped my uncle do some drywall work in Cornell when I was a kid.

So don't you DARE accuse me of not knowing a thing about upstate New York.

I know what I'm talking about. Putz.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Except, perhaps, better drivers from Pennsylvania (joking ).

This is an interesting thread. Personally, I've always thought of NY, NJ and PA as forming a great trifecta of states; easily the three most important/nationally significant states that share a border with one another. Each state is complemented in some way by the other two. The competition with California would be fierce.
You know what? I think you've got it nailed. I'm going to fully agree with that sentiment.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Most of the major industries on the east coast are concentrated in NY. So if New Jersey and Pennsylvania were added, it wouldn't really add anything NY didn't already have (although Penn would get EVERYTHING it doesn't have)

It's not like in California where Hollywood, manufacturing and international trade are dominated by LA, biotech in San Diego, Silicon Valley in Bay Area, OC with pharmaceuticals/medical devices, wine industry in NorCal, and agriculture in the Central Valley.
Your a PA hater.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
Quote:
Most of the major industries on the east coast are concentrated in NY. So if New Jersey and Pennsylvania were added, it wouldn't really add anything NY didn't already have (although Penn would get EVERYTHING it doesn't have)

It's not like in California where Hollywood, manufacturing and international trade are dominated by LA, biotech in San Diego, Silicon Valley in Bay Area, OC with pharmaceuticals/medical devices, wine industry in NorCal, and agriculture in the Central Valley.
When you say 'concentrated in NY', do you mean NY metro? B/c NY relies heavily on NJ for shipping/infrastructure. The major ports in the NE are in NJ. Additionally, NJ is huge for pharma.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:42 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNotWelcom View Post
California Is The Best State On The Planet. Almost All The Style, Swag, Everything Originates From Califronia.

Plus We Have Some Of The Best Weomen
Is a Weomen a new hip California trend, that us out east havent heard about yet?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,527 times
I can't lie, PA has got some nice girls. I wonder how CA stacks up but I've never been there at all

Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Maintainschaos said that PA would then have better cities with CA under such a combination of states and that is simply NOT true.

Many of California's 100,000+ have an incredibly HIGH quality of life compared to those 100,000+ cities in NY/PA/NJ...its really not close.
Really??? just how many of these 100K+ Cities are much different than Chester, Trenton, or Newark? Other than some cosmetic appearances?
QOL??? is better in the FEW Places I mention out of these so called cities that are DIRECTLY NEXT TO or in the MIDDLE OF Los Angeles...

REALLLY.., INGLEWOOD??? GANG Infested every 6 blocks! Let's see Queen St. Bloods, Inglewood Family Bloods, Crenshaw Mafia Bloods, 18th St, Mara Salva Chruca 13
and there's a few sets I missed. But I'm Quite SURE since it's got palm trees & burrito stands and a token Starbucks, it's BETTER Than ANYTHING On the east coast..

Downey?? at least 6-7 gangs operating in that area.

Anaheim???? Which part, DISNEY LAND?????

Fontana???? You mean Fontucky Right??? You EVER Ride The Metro Pass Many Of These Residents Homes??? See all of the thrift shop stock in the back yards? or the RV & Old Hillbilly Truck Lawn Ornaments in the front yard???? That whole town could be an Entire Season of HOADERS.

POMONA???!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS???? I worked for the school district there...Man have I got some stories to tell about the offspring of THOSE productive citizens THERE!

Ontario??? Right next to Fontana...Same people & their families...they just rotate neighborhoods every few summers. At laest they keep their lawns up a little better though.

PALM-DAAAALE????!!!! Yeah right that AND it's sister city LANCASTER are the Compton & Watts of the high desert!!! (you've got to be kidding)

VICTORVILLE???? Yeah Riiiiight. My ex moved up there to get away from LA...schools sucked, boring little hillbilly town full of section 8 rejects and illegals. I am glad she just totally left the state..There was nothing but desert dust in many places instead of grass... Have a 101 stories about that place..

Vallejo?? C'mon...

Why didn't you include that 175,000 person metropolis of SAN BERNARDINO??
AKA..SAN-BERDOO??? Now there's SOME REAL 1 percent Biker Culture there.. SMDH

I could go on but I'll end here....EAST LA?????????
Okay vato..... (Speaks for itself)

Last edited by Lenses & Lights.; 03-25-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Really??? just how many of these 100K+ Cities are much different than Chester, Trenton, or Newark? Other than some cosmetic appearances?
QOL??? is better in the FEW Places I mention out of these so called cities that are DIRECTLY NEXT TO or in the MIDDLE OF Los Angeles...

REALLLY.., INGLEWOOD??? GANG Infested every 6 blocks! Let's see Queen St. Bloods, Inglewood Family Bloods, Crenshaw Mafia Bloods, 18th St, Mara Salva Chruca 13
and there's a few sets I missed. But I'm Quite SURE since it's got palm trees & burrito stands and a token Starbucks, it's BETTER Than ANYTHING On the east coast..

Downey?? at least 6-7 gangs operating in that area.

Anaheim???? Which part, DISNEY LAND?????

Fontana???? You mean Fontucky Right??? You EVER Ride The Metro Pass Many Of These Residents Homes??? See all of the thrift shop stock in the back yards? or the RV & Old Hillbilly Truck Lawn Ornaments in the front yard???? That whole town could be an Entire Season of HOADERS.

POMONA???!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS???? I worked for the school district there...Man have I got some stories to tell about the offspring of THOSE productive citizens THERE!

Ontario??? Right next to Fontana...Same people & their families...they just rotate neighborhoods every few summers. At laest they keep their lawns up a little better though.

PALM-DAAAALE????!!!! Yeah right that AND it's sister city LANCASTER are the Compton & Watts of the high desert!!! (you've got to be kidding)

VICTORVILLE???? Yeah Riiiiight. My ex moved up there to get away from LA...schools sucked, boring little hillbilly town full of section 8 rejects and illegals. I am glad she just totally left the state..There was nothing but desert dust in many places instead of grass... Have a 101 stories about that place..

Vallejo?? C'mon...

Why didn't you include that 175,000 person metropolis of SAN BERNARDINO??
AKA..SAN-BERDOO??? Now there's SOME REAL 1 percent Biker Culture there.. SMDH

I could go on but I'll end here....EAST LA?????????
Okay vato..... (Speaks for itself)

Hahahahaa...what a joke. Irvine by itself mops the floor with every 100,000+ city in NY/PA/NJ as far as very high quality of life. That city is near perfect. And we have many others as well.

The Northeast has some great suburban cities to live in but none of them have over 100,000 people. Not even close to CA cities. Not even on the same planet. Not even in the same universe. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City