Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnTheMove View Post
When I said "the Whole WNY area" and comparing it to Centeal Jersey/Shore region I was referring to the cities (which are, mostly, all located on the flat area just south of the lake) Ithica/Princeton (oh no, Ithaca is in the 5 finger region, therefore incomparable), Rochester/Trenton, not to mention the show Jersey Shore spinned off in Canada as "Lake Shore" (that lake being Lake Ontario)- not to say that's NY, but yea, Lake Ontario communities are comparable to coastal communities in Monmouth county in the more populated areas.

I'm not here for geographical differences, especially when CA is the topic of discussion on the side. Stick me in NWNJ, NEPA, or "The Apalachian foothills of WNY" I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference.
Ithaca reminds me more of Williamsport, PA when you get down to the natives. Cornell draws a lot of transplants but they don't tend to stay after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why switch to cities here rather than using metros? NYC's metro (and the city itself) is much more important than Los Angeles's by almost any metric. Philly's metro and the Bay Area has the Bay Area edging out by a bit. San Diego beats out Pittsburgh by some. Sacramento is a decent bit better than Buffalo, Rochester, or Newark (if counted separately). It seems like a pretty even match-up to me. Of course, this is incredibly unlikely to happen.

Also, it'd make more sense to split Jersey up in two halves with one going to New York and the other going to Pennsylvania.

Not to mention. But just to add. Plus, many of those so called "cities" of California that he showed are sections/ areas of Greater Los Angeles. Their not cities by themselves. Their areas or suburbs of other cities. For instance you can't compare Pittsburgh to some of their four hundred thousand cities. Pittsburgh has it's own metro. Many of them like Oakland, share a metro with San Francisco. It's like he counted areas over and over again. Many of those so called "cities" he listed are just areas in Los Angeles. With the list he has provided, he can basically count a place twice. EX, count LA, and then list fifteen of their suburbs/areas within the city..That list is a joke in its misrepresentation.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM

133 posts, read 236,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Ithaca reminds me more of Williamsport, PA when you get down to the natives. Cornell draws a lot of transplants but they don't tend to stay after college.

Williamsport is a better comparison, good call. Cornell has a much bigger campus than Princeton overall as well. The general demographic (ivy league folk) is simar though.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnTheMove View Post
Williamsport is a better comparison, good call. Cornell has a much bigger campus than Princeton overall as well. The general demographic (ivy league folk) is simar though.
By the way I will have to go back and agree that most of the urban and large town communities on the Ontario plains are comparable to New Jersey. I considered it a little further.

The areas in the hill country/southern tier are definitely much more like Pennsylvania. North country/Adirondacks strike me as similar to Vermont but more run down in areas.

As a side note, one big similarity between Williamsport and Ithaca is that both cities are located in a beautiful Appalachian valley. You have a gorgeous river in Williamsport and south Cayuga lake in Ithaca. Definitely two of my favorite cities visually.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,010 times
California Is The Best State On The Planet. Almost All The Style, Swag, Everything Originates From Califronia.

Plus We Have Some Of The Best Weomen

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNotWelcom View Post
California Is The Best State On The Planet. Almost All The Style, Swag, Everything Originates From Califronia.

The United States didnt originate from California

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNotWelcom View Post

And it's all thanks to you.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The United States didnt originate from California
No. But, CA is still pretty awesome, regardless...

Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 17,800 times
Most of the major industries on the east coast are concentrated in NY. So if New Jersey and Pennsylvania were added, it wouldn't really add anything NY didn't already have (although Penn would get EVERYTHING it doesn't have)

It's not like in California where Hollywood, manufacturing and international trade are dominated by LA, biotech in San Diego, Silicon Valley in Bay Area, OC with pharmaceuticals/medical devices, wine industry in NorCal, and agriculture in the Central Valley.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM

628 posts, read 662,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Wrong again.

Plenty of Cornell grads stay in NY. I am a Cornell grad who grew up in New Jersey, and I like many of my classmates, stayed in the area. If you spent any time in upstate (which by your posts you clearly haven't) then you would understand that Ithaca and Syracuse have a very healthy population of cornell grads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City