Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Any middle of the street parking or parking on the sidewalks in the South?

Parking in middle of Broad Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ja242424/4037221965/ - broken link)
This sort of thing happens all the time in the Sunset Harbor neighborhood in Miami Beach. It's illegal but when did laws ever stop anyone in Miami?
It also happens in key areas near Cuban coffee stands like the David's Cafe on Meridian and Lincoln Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You'll see it in Miami Beach yes. That's obvious. But in the majority of Miami city and especially the suburbs, no way. You won't see people parking on NW 27th in Miami. You won't see people parking on NW 79th either. You definitely won't see parking on the street in the residential and commercial areas. Don't even bother mentioning Miami Gardens or Kendall.
What's the point of this thread? Is there some sort of agenda?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
What's the point of this thread? Is there some sort of agenda?
I think he's asking do you see street parking on major arteries whether they are residential, commercial, or whatever like you do in the Northeast, Midwest, and California cities.

Something like this
Washington DC - Google Maps

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I think he's asking do you see street parking on major arteries whether they are residential, commercial, or whatever like you do in the Northeast, Midwest, and California cities.

Something like this
Washington DC - Google Maps
We already answered that question.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvinaa View Post
Well what may be obvious to you, may not be obvious to the OP. You seem to be getting pretty annoyed that I said Miami. Miami is a large area, and I apologize for not being extremely specific when I meant Miami Beach. Sheesh. And I wasn't going to mention Miami Gardens or Kendall, calm down.
I wasn't getting annoyed at all and I apologize if I came off a little condescending. That wasn't my intention even when mentioning Miami Gardens and Kendall. But some people seem to believe that because Miami is dense and it's filled with Northerners, that it is far different than the other cities in the South. That's not the case. Miami is very much like the rest of the South. Miami Beach is a major exception compared to the rest of the metro area.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
We already answered that question.
Yeah only New Orleans, Miami Beach, and if you want to, Washington DC and Baltimore are the Southern cities that you will see this consistently. I wonder if Charleston SC or Savannah has this as well.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
I wasn't getting annoyed at all and I apologize if I came off a little condescending. That wasn't my intention even when mentioning Miami Gardens and Kendall. But some people seem to believe that because Miami is dense and it's filled with Northerners, that it is far different than the other cities in the South. That's not the case. Miami is very much like the rest of the South. Miami Beach is a major exception compared to the rest of the metro area.
Agreed. Miami is sprawly just like the rest of the South. The one difference is it's suburban density. No other Southern City/County/Metro has the population density over a larger area than Miami does. But for the most part, everyone in Miami drives, everything is sprawled out and far, and not alot of people street park. It's no different than Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc in that regard. The yankees that live there won't change any of that.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Any middle of the street parking or parking on the sidewalks in the South?

Parking in middle of Broad Street | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ja242424/4037221965/ - broken link)

I've seen this on road with a neutral ground (median) but not just dead in the center like that.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM

364 posts, read 715,495 times
Quote:
Yeah only New Orleans, Miami Beach, and if you want to, Washington DC and Baltimore are the Southern cities that you will see this consistently. I wonder if Charleston SC or Savannah has this as well.
Yeah, there is a considerable amount of street parking in Charleston, mainly limited to the immediate core of Charleston though, like CofC, The Battery, King St. etc. Once you leave downtown and the areas immediately surrounding downtown, the density levels off really quickly. Savannah has some street parking too, but I seem to remember a lot more areas there not having sidewalks compared to Charleston. Neither city has consistent street parking throughout the city like New Orleans, DC, or Baltimore though.

Louisville could possibly be added to the list also.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Yeah, there is a considerable amount of street parking in Charleston, mainly limited to the immediate core of Charleston though, like CofC, The Battery, King St. etc. Once you leave downtown and the areas immediately surrounding downtown, the density levels off really quickly. Savannah has some street parking too, but I seem to remember a lot more areas there not having sidewalks compared to Charleston. Neither city has consistent street parking throughout the city like New Orleans, DC, or Baltimore though.

Louisville could possibly be added to the list also.
I think most touristy Downtown districts have street parking. Parts of Downtown West Palm Beach have street parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City