Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tennessee? North Caorlina?
TENNESSEE sounds nice to me 93 48.69%
Sorry, i have to give this one to NORTH CAROLINA 98 51.31%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM

367 posts, read 995,988 times

Advertisements

Which is your favorite southern state of the two. The Legacy Culture Character and History of TENNESSEE or The progressivness and fast growth and oceans of NORTH CAROLINA

TN v NC smackdown

Best Cities
Best Regions
Best Metros
Best Jobs
Best Sports
Best Family and singles scene
Best education
Best shopping
Best to visit/live
Best National Reputation
Best future
Best Terrain
Best Entertainment
Best location within America
Most likely to get another PRO sports team

TN v NC smackdown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,790 times
It's a close call but I would prefer North Carolina because I like being near the coast and Charlotte and Raleigh appeal to me more than Nashville and Memphis. And Tennessee feels kind of "Old South" to me especially in Memphis and Johnson City (Not that North Carolina doesn't feel "Old South" in certain areas).

Best Cities: I give the edge to North Carolina. Nashville is really the only place I would consider living in TN. I like NC cities more as places to live.
Best Regions: NC
Best Metros: NC
Best Jobs: Hmmm probably a tie
Best Sports: NC (not that that's saying much both have better college sports than pro)
Best Family and singles scene: Tie
Best education: NC (Duke, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and others)
Best shopping: A walmart is a walmart is a walmart is a target is a target a mall is a mall is a mall
Best to visit/live: Both are decent places to visit but NC is better imo to live
Best National Reputation: Hmmm not sure really probably TN though (Music scene, birthplace of Elvis, Assassination of MLK)
Best future: NC
Best Terrain: NC
Best Entertainment: Tie
Best location within America: Tie both are close to the eastcoast (one is on the eastcoast) and Tennessee is closer to the Midwest. I guess it depends where you travel at the most.
Most likely to get another PRO sport team: TN

Old 07-13-2013, 01:34 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,043 times
As someone who has vacationed in Tennessee dozens of times over the years and a North Carolinian I guess I'll comment.

Best Cities: North Carolina
Best Regions: North Carolina (Mountains AND the Coast)
Best Metros: North Carolina
Best Jobs: Neutral
Best Sports: NC
Best Family and singles scene: Neutral
Best education: NC
Best shopping: Neutral
Best to visit/live: Visit - TN Live - NC
Best National Reputation: TN (Music, Nashville, Elvis, MLK, Dolly Parton)
Best future: NC
Best Terrain: NC
Best Entertainment: Neutral
Best location within America: NC (Only because it's near coast)
Most likely to get another PRO sports team: Neutral

Old 07-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Seems Tennessee wins yet another poll

Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Which is your favorite southern state of the two. The Legacy Culture Character and History of TENNESSEE or The progressivness and fast growth and oceans of NORTH CAROLINA

TN v NC smackdown

Best Cities
Best Regions
Best Metros
Best Jobs
Best Sports
Best Family and singles scene
Best education
Best shopping
Best to visit/live
Best National Reputation
Best future
Best Terrain
Best Entertainment
Best location within America
Most likely to get another PRO sports team

TN v NC smackdown
How long have you lived in Tennessee? Are you comparing Western or Eastern North Carolina. Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee are pretty much the same. Both good states and I see no reason to find one better than the other. You may not be from other parts of the United States but you sound like you are. Which state one lives in is just a matter of choice or being near other relatives. One state does not have to be better than another state. No vote here.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Been living in Tennessee for some years,..my response will probably be completely biased so I will refrain.

Lol this is the city VS city thread so one may not be better in your opinion but THIS is the place where cities and states compete...besides im sure North Carolina is tired of being compared to that neighboring state that begins with a G lol

I've search city data forums and not one directly compares the two states so here goes

Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Ummm, this thread isn't even a day old yet and only 9 people have voted so far.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Been living in Tennessee for some years,..my response will probably be completely biased so I will refrain.

Lol this is the city VS city thread so one may not be better in your opinion but THIS is the place where cities and states compete...besides im sure North Carolina is tired of being compared to that neighboring state that begins with a G lol

I've search city data forums and not one directly compares the two states so here goes
Sorry you just hit a pet peeve of mine. We are neighboring states who like each other and don't see a need to compete. The people who lived in Tennessee before the influx from across the country are mostly people who migrated from North Carolina. The lay of the land is different but somewhat the same also.

Georgia is a much different state from North Carolina. It was first settled by prisoners from England. There were more plantations where North Carolina was mostly smaller farmers just like Tennessee. It takes hours in Atlanta to get just a few miles down the road and you have to pray that you will get out alive. North Carolina beaches are better than Georgia's beaches. I really don't see that much to compare when it comes to North Carolina and Tennessee--or maybe I should say that I don't see that much to compare that matters to me. As far as I am concerned you could do away with a lot of the subjects you posted and it would not matter to me at all.

Best education
Best to visit/live
Best future
Best Terrain
Best Entertainment

I narrowed the list down to things that are important enough to discuss. We will give it to Tennessee, but it is not a big difference in my opinion. Just different.

BTW You forgot to mention weather. That makes North Carolina at least equal.

Last edited by NCN; 07-13-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM

173 posts, read 296,654 times
Best Cities- NC
Best Regions- NC
Best Metros- NC
Best Jobs- Tie
Best Sports- NC
Best Family and singles scene- NC for both
Best education- NC
Best shopping- Upscale goes to NC for sure. Other than that, tie.
Best to visit/live- I'd think more people would visit NC, but I say tie.
Best National Reputation- NC
Best future- NC
Best Terrain- NC
Best Entertainment- Depending on the person, but NC has more.
Best location within America- Um NC?
Most likely to get another PRO sports team- NC, but it doesn't matter because NC already has more.

With respect, NC is a league higher than TN.

Quote:
What other polls has Tennessee won?

Old 07-13-2013, 04:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Georgia is a much different state from North Carolina. It was first settled by prisoners from England. There were more plantations where North Carolina was mostly smaller farmers just like Tennessee.
The histories of GA and NC may be different, but today they aren't nearly as dissimilar as you're implying. They are geographically similar with three major divisions of coastal plain, Piedmont, and Appalachia with the majority of the growth happening in the Piedmont and secondarily the coast. Their populations are almost the same and they are growing at similar rates. They have similar numbers of Fortune 500 companies and burgeoning film industries (historically NC had a lead on that, with GA being more prominent now).

Quote:
It takes hours in Atlanta to get just a few miles down the road and you have to pray that you will get out alive.
As an Atlantan, I can say this is a huge exaggeration. Sure we've got some heavy traffic, but taking "hours to get just a few miles down the road"? Come now. Even so, everybody knows when rush hour is, the major chokepoints, and we have resources to alert us to construction, an accident, or something else that might have traffic backed up ahead of time. Georgia 511
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City