Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tennessee? North Caorlina?
TENNESSEE sounds nice to me 93 48.69%
Sorry, i have to give this one to NORTH CAROLINA 98 51.31%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times

Advertisements

Just do to the fact of the crime that exists in Tennesee's major cities I choose NC. SPeaking objectively, I see many things on par with TN and NC and the things that aren't put NC ahead for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
More established cities??
It would be interesting if someone had the time to research the size of both state's major cities in say 1890 and 1920. TN cities feel more historic but it could be that the NC cities have just been overshadowed by new growth.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM

34 posts, read 65,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
Tennessee does not have a major financial city, a major energy city, or a major biotech city.
You're right about banking, but Charlotte's energy is not comparable to a place like Houston (or a lot of other energy prominent cities) either, so don't go there. As for biotech, The Research Triangle is one thing, but consider that Nashville is the healthcare capital of America, which is, if you know anything, is more than just "hospitals," so I suggest you do your research. Then you have the automotive industry which is becoming even bigger in TN. Nashville has music and a huge tourism industry, as well as shipping along with Memphis. So do your research on diversified economies next time.

Quote:
SouthPark in Charlotte alone beats out any mall in Tennesse in terms of upscale offerings.
Show me a link... Like I said, I based that off of what I read, unlike you who based it off of absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Nashville has had recent news as an up and coming city, but not as much as Raleigh or Charlotte.
Again, you are basing this off of...? Show me some recent articles about Charlotte in the NYT or any other newspaper or publication that doesn't include local papers. Raleigh does get good press for its growth and blossoming as a city, but Nashville is certainly more publicized. I know this from actually reading the news. The city has its own TV show too

Quote:
Yet TN's closest major city is 4 and a half hours away.
Atlanta is an hour and 45 minutes at most from Chattanooga, so you should check your geography next time as well as everything else. Nashville to Atlanta is 3 hours 45 minutes, Memphis is 4 hours from STL, and not as "major cities (1 mil+)" are still under 4 hours: Birmingham, Cinicinatti, Lousiville

Quote:
NC will without a doubt get MLB before TN even starts thinking.
Again, based on absolutely nothing. Not even speculation, just outright arrogance.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
More than Charlotte? I doubt that.
Like I told Cali, based off reading, not doubt

Quote:
And NC has both Charlotte and Raleigh. But national reputation can be interpreted in a couple of different ways though.
Fair enough, but Charlotte rarely gets recognition for anything nationally. Not saying they don't, but not as often as even Raleigh.

Quote:
Why Nashville when Charlotte is larger and growing faster?
So size and growth rate have to do with attracting professional teams? Nashville got 2 Major teams when it was smaller than Charlotte. If this had to do with anything, then why does Portland only have 1 pro team, Seattle 2, Louisville 0, Jacksonville 1, Austin 0... It's about what the city can offer a team and the local/regional support it could have.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_mangina View Post
Like I told Cali, based off reading, not doubt
Fair enough; what's the source on that one? I wouldn't mind checking it out myself.

Quote:
Fair enough, but Charlotte rarely gets recognition for anything nationally. Not saying they don't, but not as often as even Raleigh.
I don't think this is quite accurate, but in what sense are you referring to? If you're referring to many of these "best of" lists, Charlotte was getting most of the shine before Raleigh, then Raleigh kind of muscled its way towards the top in NC in recent years but Charlotte is still getting mentions.

Quote:
So size and growth rate have to do with attracting professional teams? Nashville got 2 Major teams when it was smaller than Charlotte. If this had to do with anything, then why does Portland only have 1 pro team, Seattle 2, Louisville 0, Jacksonville 1, Austin 0... It's about what the city can offer a team and the local/regional support it could have.
We're talking about MLB in particular which typically requires a larger fan base. Of course more goes into it than that, but that's a basic starting point. Besides being larger and faster growing, Charlotte benefits from being the epicenter of the Carolinas with other sizable metros within a 100 mile radius (1.6 million in the Triad, 1.4 million in the SC Upstate, 800K in Columbia).

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Here's the list on high end stores: America's Favorite Cities 2012 - Shopping - Luxury stores | Travel + Leisure

Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
That list is generated via votes from subscribers/viewers; it's not an objective tally. Otherwise, you'd have to believe that Charleston has more high-end shopping than Atlanta, Orlando, San Diego, DC, Philly, Seattle, etc. I mean you could believe that, but it wouldn't be true.

I'm afraid you'll need another source to back up your assertion that Nashville has more high-end shopping than Charlotte.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
I think some of these threads are silly. I've been reading this one over the last couple of days. Anyone who thinks North Carolina and Tennessee aren't comparable just has blinders on. I haven't commented because I've never been to Charlotte. I've been to Raleigh and Durham but not Charlotte. Obviously these states are different, but have a lot in common. As far as shopping, since caliloven brought up Southpark Mall...I looked at their website. It's a Simon mall....which is who owns The Mall at Green Hills. The only store that I saw there that we didn't have was Neiman Marcus. Obviously, Charlotte has had much stronger growth in the past than Nashville. Nashville's has been healthy but not like Charlotte and I guess Raleigh. Nashville is just now starting to see a lot of growth. Lots of big projects going on and announced recently. All of these cities are unique and all have their strong points....and weak points. I'm fine with the way Nashville has handled it's growth and look forward to seeing what these cities look like in the next 5 to 10 years.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 PM

173 posts, read 296,967 times
Quote:
You're right about banking, but Charlotte's energy is not comparable to a place like Houston (or a lot of other energy prominent cities) either, so don't go there. As for biotech, The Research Triangle is one thing, but consider that Nashville is the healthcare capital of America, which is, if you know anything, is more than just "hospitals," so I suggest you do your research. Then you have the automotive industry which is becoming even bigger in TN. Nashville has music and a huge tourism industry, as well as shipping along with Memphis. So do your research on diversified economies next time.
1. If you are arguing Nashville is the healthcare capital of the country, me using Charlotte's energy field is perfectly acceptable.

2. The automotive industry in TN with the retail industry in NC.

So I suggest you do your research dude.

Quote:
Show me a link... Like I said, I based that off of what I read, unlike you who based it off of absolutely nothing.
You based yours off of a link you didn't post... But since apparently you can't use Google:
Green Hills
SouthPark Mobile Website - Charlotte, NC 28211-3531 - Simon Malls

And if you need to go even more specific, no problem.

Quote:
Again, you are basing this off of...? Show me some recent articles about Charlotte in the NYT or any other newspaper or publication that doesn't include local papers. Raleigh does get good press for its growth and blossoming as a city, but Nashville is certainly more publicized. I know this from actually reading the news. The city has its own TV show too
Clearly you really haven't even bothered to look up half these things or you'd know the New York Times just went after NC and Charlotte went back.

Also, what makes the NYT a more creditable newspaper than any other? Because if that one Nashville article brings out this huge inferiority complex you're giving, it isn't worth mentioning. Because guess what? Charlotte got one of those articles too.

JOURNEYS; 36 Hours | Charlotte, N.C. - New York Times

Or this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/di...ood-scene.html

And most notably this one: New York Times features Charlotte as young, transit-friendly city | Charlotte Center City & Uptown Charlotte

Quote:
Atlanta is an hour and 45 minutes at most from Chattanooga, so you should check your geography next time as well as everything else. Nashville to Atlanta is 3 hours 45 minutes, Memphis is 4 hours from STL, and not as "major cities (1 mil+)" are still under 4 hours: Birmingham, Cinicinatti, Lousiville
Chattanooga doesn't even have a million people lol, just stop.

And I apologize, I was off by 30 minutes. The argument is in your favor.

Quote:
Again, based on absolutely nothing. Not even speculation, just outright arrogance.
Oh lord. You're not even worth trying to talk to anymore. We all know who's behind this account. Google is your friend, you apparently haven't met him.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
In what way is Charlotte an energy capital? Not being hostile, just curious.

TN has the Atomic City, btw.

Quote:
Chattanooga doesn't even have a million people lol, just stop

Well there are far more than a million people in Chattanooga and the SW portion of Knoxville's metro if a million is the magic number. There may even be a million people in E TN who could get to Charlotte in less than 4 hours though I don't know why we'd want to. Almost half of them have a nascar track in their back yard (Bristol).

Last edited by creeksitter; 07-24-2013 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City