Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times

Advertisements

What are the advantages and disadvantages to a curving street network versus a common street grid? How does traffic flow in Boston's financial district compared to center city? Which one is more walkable or are they both the same?

I'm asking this because an experiment is basically going on currently where an urban downtown area around the same size as these is being built from the ground up over sprawling office parks in Tyson's Corner. The plan is the largest urban redevelopment in the country and really has never been attempted. The success of creating a planned urban downtown from sprawled out office parks is yet to be determined. The plan is to adopt the curving network of streets like the Boston Financial district planned around 4 metro stops. Can the curving street network be seen as an advantage in some ways or a disadvantage compared to a normal street grid like Center City? They don't have a choice but to have curving streets but how successful can that be? Boston is successful so maybe it will work.

http://www.craigsrealtylist.com/img/tysons%20plan.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3165/...92dd10d2bf.jpg
http://www.cassidypinkard.com/user-assets/Images/properties_for_sale/The%20Plaza%20at%20Tysons%20Photos/Building_Photo_LG.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Curving roads (should) slow down vehical traffic making it safer for the pedestrians, also it funnels people into the busiest parts of the city because of the natural wheel and spoke kind of roads.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Curving roads (should) slow down vehical traffic making it safer for the pedestrians, also it funnels people into the busiest parts of the city because of the natural wheel and spoke kind of roads.
I was thinking it would make it more walkable. It seems like the financial district in Boston was made for pedestrians and not cars which is unique to Boston. Public transit would be the focus then with this curving design I would think.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Boston's city layout is curving because it was built up at a time when that was the fashion. I think it's one of the few American cities to feature such a layout. Think London or Paris. The grid pattern was just the most practical for transport and are obviously easier to navigate. I think Boston's streets make it interesting to explore, but can be annoying without a map.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I was thinking it would make it more walkable. It seems like the financial district in Boston was made for pedestrians and not cars which is unique to Boston. Public transit would be the focus then with this curving design I would think.
Its not unique to Boston at all. Just a feature of older cities. It is actually very common in Europe.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its not unique to Boston at all. Just a feature of older cities. It is actually very common in Europe.
So then, this design should work then. There has been some debate about the makeshift curving streets made to resemble a grid versus a natural grid. If it has worked in other cities, I see no reason it can't work in Tyson's Corner then.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
I prefer the modified grid with landmark transition points.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
It's pretty unique in the US, because Boston was one of the few cities to become somewhat large in the early colonial period.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's pretty unique in the US, because Boston was one of the few cities to become somewhat large in the early colonial period.
There are US cities older than Boston. They didn't have to be large to have that design. Many of the Spanish settlements had that type of layout.

Granted some cities have made efforts to straighten their streets (happened a lot in Houston and San Antonio), but curvy streets were not unique to Boston man.

I think SA and Houston took more of their cues from Savannah though. Savannah is a beautifully planned city

Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
There are US cities older than Boston. They didn't have to be large to have that design. Many of the Spanish settlements had that type of layout.

Granted some cities have made efforts to straighten their streets (happened a lot in Houston and San Antonio), but curvy streets were not unique to Boston man.

I think SA and Houston took more of their cues from Savannah though. Savannah is a beautifully planned city
Maybe not totally unique, but I can't think of any major US city without a central grid pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City