Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont know about all that, but....
I moved to Ft Worth from a town of 45,000 in California and was amazed at how slow it was here.....
It highlighted if you go between Dallas and Ft Worth.

So my answer is Fort Worth. Probably some of the other sleepy metros; OKC, Jacksonville maybe....
So you are from SLO. I wasn't sure from your screenname... I'm from Santa Maria originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,129,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
So you are from SLO. I wasn't sure from your screenname... I'm from Santa Maria originally.

haha, cool, you can tell by the population number, pretty good.....

I was going to edit my post, because those cities I mentioned are laid back, but not tremendously urban....

Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Would Seattle, Denver, or Miami Count?
Miami, perhaps. Seattle is urban, but not especially "laid back" in the same way that Honolulu and San Diego are. And Denver is one of the least urban big cities. It's more laid back than a lot of other cities, but it often doesn't really feel like a city at all.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 PM

771 posts, read 1,397,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Miami, perhaps. Seattle is urban, but not especially "laid back" in the same way that Honolulu and San Diego are. And Denver is one of the least urban big cities. It's more laid back than a lot of other cities, but it often doesn't really feel like a city at all.
Seattle is much more laid back than Miami. I don't think Miami is laid back at all.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
So to sum up this thread so far: Pretty much every urban city in the US is laid-back except for a couple in the northeast?
Depends on your perspective. I live in the DC area. Compared to here, New York City and the surrounding areas are definitely faster-paced. It's a constant mad rush there. Boston I'd say is around the same pace as DC. Philadelphia is a little less, but not by much. The same with Baltimore.

However, the difference becomes noticeable once you leave the northeast line of cities and head to other places in the U.S.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Dude...we get it. You aren't a fan of Denver. But the way you describe Denver is way off. I know it isn't anywhere near the most urban city, and that there are plenty of cities that are and feel bigger, but you make Denver sound like it is this...
http://factofthedayblog.com/files/2011/04/corn-field.jpg (broken link)
Not extremely urban, but here are some Google maps images.
Google Maps

I like this one for some reason.
Google Maps

Google Maps

This is is extremely cool to me!
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...47.55,,0,-4.36

Last edited by Mezter; 01-04-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,231,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Dude...we get it. You aren't a fan of Denver. But the way you describe Denver is way off. I know it isn't anywhere near the most urban city, and that there are plenty of cities that are and feel bigger, but you make Denver sound like it is this...

Not extremely urban, but here are some Google maps images.
Google Maps

I like this one for some reason.
Google Maps

Google Maps

This is is extremely cool to me!
Google Maps
I agree. Here are some more photos that show some of Denver's urban neighborhoods.

Capitol Hill (Denver's most dense neighborhood). This was the only aerial photo I could find, unfortunately it doesn't show alot of the highrise apartment/condo towers that make up this dense neighborhood. Photo credit: http://beyonddc.com/nonweb/_citypics...er-CapHill.jpg

Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park neighborhoods from another view looking northeast toward downtown. Photo credit: Scan Results - Kansas City Photos, City Stock, Skyline, and Aerial Photography

I'm not arguing that Denver's a super-dense city, but to claim that Denver is one of the least urban big cities is simply not true.

Last edited by downtownnola; 01-05-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Links did not work

Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM

326 posts, read 689,642 times
san francisco takes the cake for urban and laid back (2nd most dense city in the country)

Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Outside of Center City and University City, Philadelphia is a very laid back city.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,860 times
San Fran and LA. Also Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City