Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:56 PM

96 posts, read 616,506 times

Advertisements

Which US major cities or surrounding areas of major cities are the most laid back overall? Not too fast paced, not too uptight but more friendly and more easy going?

I guess every big city has at least some of that going on but overall which ones would you consider to be the most laid back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,186 times
Any of the giant, major cities are likely to be high-stress and face-paced. Places like NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, Philly, and LA are probably out.

San Diego is known for being really laid-back and relaxed. Tampa. Charleston, SC. Maybe Austin, TX. Maybe Pittsburgh.

And Seattle and Portland have always seems very relaxed to me. But in more of a quiet, thoughtful sort of way.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 PM

96 posts, read 616,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Any of the giant, major cities are likely to be high-stress and face-paced. Places like NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, Philly, and LA are probably out.

San Diego is known for being really laid-back and relaxed. Tampa. Charleston, SC. Maybe Austin, TX. Maybe Pittsburgh.

And Seattle and Portland have always seems very relaxed to me. But in more of a quiet, thoughtful sort of way.
I have never been to San Diego but have always wanted to visit. I've always thought of that area as a place I might like to live but the cost of living is really high. Is there a big difference in how relaxed it is compared to other large cities? I am from Louisville, KY and I'm considering looking at other places to possibly move to but I'd like something pretty similar. Nothing too high stress and fast paced.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,186 times
Well...I'd say that SD is about 100 times mored relaxed than cities like NYC and DC, if that gives you any idea.

Ummm...for lower costs than San Diego, you could look at maybe Austin or Portland or something.

Denver could maybe be good too, come to think of it.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:22 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,319 times
I can only list two from the few cities I've been. San Diego and Honolulu.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:48 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
Which US major cities or surrounding areas of major cities are the most laid back overall? Not too fast paced, not too uptight but more friendly and more easy going?

I guess every big city has at least some of that going on but overall which ones would you consider to be the most laid back?
I think Miami is a very laid-back city. That Latin culture of long lunches and late night partying is pretty festive.

I think Atlanta and Houston are also pretty laid-back compared to other cities their size.

I've heard Minneapolis is also a pretty laid-back place.

If you want somewhere a little bigger than Louisville, check out Nashville, Oklahoma City or Salt Lake City. A little smaller than Louisville would be Knoxville and--what the heck--Omaha.

And of course, there's New Orleans, probably the headquarters of laid-back Americana.

While not in the US, Montreal has an amazingly casual atmosphere that I absolutely adore.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,325 times
Des Moines, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Omaha, Jacksonville maybe, Indianapolis, and just about any city in the south.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
I have never been to San Diego but have always wanted to visit. I've always thought of that area as a place I might like to live but the cost of living is really high. Is there a big difference in how relaxed it is compared to other large cities? I am from Louisville, KY and I'm considering looking at other places to possibly move to but I'd like something pretty similar. Nothing too high stress and fast paced.
Actually, I live in very fast-paced stressful DC right now and am planning on moving to the Louisville area next year. One of the major things i like about Louisville is that it seems very laid back from the posts on the Louisville forum.

If you like San Diego but want a more reasonable cost of living Newport News/Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA may be a place to check out. Right on the coast and less expensive. I cant compare it to Louisville but it is much more easy-going when compared to DC.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:20 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,130 times
I think it just goes with population and population density, the more people you have in a confined space, the more high strung people will be. The less people there are to compete with for the last spot on the elevator, the less stressed out you'll feel, although good places to unwind might also foctor in.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Silly as it may sound, I think Chicago is a laid back city, particularly when you consider its size. If you compare it to NYC or LA, it is definitely the most laid back of the three, by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City