Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
May I pick your list apart?

Houston: Needs a defining supertall
Austin: Impressive how their skyline grew
Miami: What can I say? 10 years ago Miami had 6 towers over 500 feet now it has 27! It still needs a supertall to seal the deal.
Dallas: What has happened to this city? It missed the boom.
Nashville: Nice & compact skyline & love the Batman tower!
Jacksonville: Pitfull skyline for being our largest city
Charlotte: Quality architecture & a well balanced skyline
Memphis: what skyline? I couldn't even name one of their buildings except for that Pyramid thingy!
New Orleans: decent skyline but needs a Signature tower also.
Atlanta : way to many gaps in it's skyline but has some very good architecture in it's individual buildings.

Hope I wasn't to brutal!
We have a few super talls. The JP Morgan Building and the Wells Fargo Plaza. Granted, they might not be pretty to look at (JP Morgan) or extremely recognizable amongst similar buildings (Wells Fargo) but, at sunset, Wells Fargo looks pretty nice.

JP Morgan

Wells Fargo

That said, I would agree with you in that I wish more of Houston's skyscrappers were more defining. I think our two most defining have to be the Bank of America building, the new MainPlace (hopefully) and Williams Tower (Williams Tower isn't even IN downtown!)

Bank of America
http://www.jonssons.org/bin/Johnson-Bank-of-America-Center.jpeg (broken link)

MainPlace

William's Tower (which is known for its revolving beacon which can be seen in the video around 1:14)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ner54K1Qw

Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 PM

358 posts, read 755,222 times
I like Atlanta's best. How does Miami have so many votes? That skyline is hideous.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 AM

531 posts, read 1,144,029 times
The top 3 in order:

1) Houston
2) Dallas
3) Miami

Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
^ Jacksonville still has a very anemic skyline anyway you slice it!
I suppose you just don't like the skylines of metros under 1.5 million or so because for its size, Jacksonville's skyline is very appropriate. It has depth and variety that people can't see in typical skyline shots. Plus it has a gorgeous setting.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

Miami: What can I say? 10 years ago Miami had 6 towers over 500 feet now it has 27! It still needs a supertall to seal the deal.
Memphis: what skyline? I couldn't even name one of their buildings except for that Pyramid thingy!
Atlanta : way to many gaps in it's skyline but has some very good architecture in it's individual buildings.

Hope I wasn't to brutal!
Houston has a supertall......

Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:

Hope I wasn't to brutal!
I was basing it more on architecture than height, and Houston seems to have best skyscraper architecture of any Southern city regardless of how many supertalls it has. Usually tallest building doesn't have the most impressive architecture. Have you ever been to Chicago? The Willis Tower is far from the most impressive skyscraper architecture in the city. As for Memphis, have you ever been? I have driven through, and although small, they have kind of a cool skyline.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:37 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte---- Business

Miami--- residential.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I was basing it more on architecture than height, and Houston seems to have best skyscraper architecture of any Southern city regardless of how many supertalls it has. Usually tallest building doesn't have the most impressive architecture. Have you ever been to Chicago? The Willis Tower is far from the most impressive skyscraper architecture in the city. As for Memphis, have you ever been? I have driven through, and although small, they have kind of a cool skyline.
Yeah, but imo, I think Dallas' and Atlanta's tallest buildings are WAY better architecturally than Houston's tallest buildings. Houston does have more height, and thus, our buildings seem more imposing.

But, actually take any citie's tallest buildings and they seem to be aesthetically pleasing, for the most part, than Houston's. I mean LA's, Seattle's,Chicago's, NYC's, Philly's, Atlanta's, Dallas' all have better architecture exhibited in their tallest buildings in comparison to Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston has a supertall......
The poster said Houston needs a defining supertall, which is hard to do for a skyline with the height of Houston's with its top 3 tallest buildings all over 900 ft, making a defining supertall in Houston having to have a height of at least 1150+ ft, which of course, buildings of that height only exist in Chicago, NYC, Asia, and Dubai. So doubt that Houston will ever get one, at least not in the forseeable future.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yeah, but imo, I think Dallas' and Atlanta's tallest buildings are WAY better architecturally than Houston's tallest buildings. Houston does have more height, and thus, our buildings seem more imposing.

But, actually take any citie's tallest buildings and they seem to be aesthetically pleasing, for the most part, than Houston's. I mean LA's, Seattle's,Chicago's, NYC's, Philly's, Atlanta's, Dallas' all have better architecture exhibited in their tallest buildings in comparison to Houston.

The poster said Houston needs a defining supertall, which is hard to do for a skyline with the height of Houston's with its top 3 tallest buildings all over 900 ft, making a defining supertall in Houston having to have a height of at least 1150+ ft, which of course, buildings of that height only exist in Chicago, NYC, Asia, and Dubai. So doubt that Houston will ever get one, at least not in the forseeable future.
I think what helps Houston's case though is the fact that its skyline is very tall and dense compared to other sunbelt skylines.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
I'll have a more in depth response later. For now, Atlanta has wonderful and unque architecture. It's skylines are unique and each district serves a different purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City