Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bridgeport, CT vs San Jose, CA
Bridgeport, CT MSA 16 50.00%
San Jose, CA MSA 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
My guess is its shallow (and correct me if I am wrong Grapico) because a lot of bay area people have this bizarre way of being hypocritical and ironic (maybe thats why there are so many hipsters there?). They talk about how cold a city is and how it sucks, then brag about skiing in Tahoe. The talk about how cool it is to go hang around the beach in Santa Cruz, even though the water is just as warm if not warmer in cape cod, in the summer. Never mind the fact that a lot of people who seem to brag about the multitude of outdoor activities in California, seem to be on the computer 24/7. Makes me wonder if these people have jobs or classes let alone actually partake in the outdoor activities they all seem to champion.
Same can easily be said vice-versa. They have Hipsters all over NYC. People BRAG, BRAG, BRAG, about how they have access to so-and-so urban activities, and how 95% of the US who ISN'T in there region is fly-over-country and sprawlville and or characterless. I don't see how being nature oriented would make one even more shallow than an "all-urban-all-the-time" person. If one prefers the beach and the sun, to a brownstone and a high-rise, I don't logically see how that would make that person shallow per se.

Last edited by polo89; 02-11-2011 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Same can easily be said vice-versa. They have Hipsters all over NYC. People BRAG, BRAG, BRAG, about how they have access to so-and-so urban activities, and how 95% of the US who ISN'T in there region is fly-over-country and sprawlville and or characterless. I don't see how bing nature oriented would make one even more shallow than an "all-urban-all-the-time" person. If one prefers the beach and the sun, to a brownstone and a high-rise, I don't logically see how that would make that person shallow per se.

Because New Yorkers say so... get with the times

Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 AM

292 posts, read 752,843 times
Like I said, Bay Area offers some of the best urban in the country and some of the best outdoor activities in the country, like no other place

Other areas offer great urban (NYC, Chicago); other areas offer great outdoor activities in and around cities (San Diego, Seattle) - but not have the combination of truly world-class urbanity and truly-world class outdoor activities ad scenery like the Bay Area.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM

381 posts, read 862,365 times
One thing about San Jose is that the nightlife downtown is growing quickly. There are now more than 40 clubs, bars, pubs of all types in a relatively small area downtown. Most are clubs with DJS, but there are some live music venues, some cool pubs, breweries, cantinas, a sake bar, etc. There's a lot more there than people imagine. Exponentially better than Jacksonville or Phoenix (cities its often compared to but nothing like) in terms of vibrancy and nightlife, etc.

Also, San Jose has a nearly even split of 30% Hispanic, Asian, and White, so there are cool ethnic pockets with GREAT restaurants (better hole-in-the-wall Asian and Mexican than San Francisco, IMO) along with more standard single-family neighborhoods.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

53 posts, read 90,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Why are so many Bay Area residents so obsessed with hiking? At least visiting a museum is a more civilized experience.
Wow, "civilized". You people on the east coast just don't get it. Being outdoors is nice. In a boring museum is lame. CA has better weather then CT.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
Being outdoors is nice. In a boring museum is lame.
These are not diametrically opposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City