Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bridgeport, CT vs San Jose, CA
Bridgeport, CT MSA 16 50.00%
San Jose, CA MSA 16 50.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post

Have fun walking up your sweaty mountain.
Thanks dude, but I can get tea in my kitchen, and my mall has a Teavana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 AM

239 posts, read 305,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Thanks dude, but I can get tea in my kitchen, and my mall has a Teavana.
Is your mall or your kitchen Bergdorf Goodman Restaurant? Who prepared your tea?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Please don't be thick. The point was that I was in the nature you claim nobody in CA takes advantage of. Anyway...
Most people cant. Unlike you, must of us are not teenagers, we have jobs, careers, and bills. We can't walk around the Oakland Hills taking pictures all day because we have obligations. And I didn't say people don't take advantage of nature, I was talking about city-data addicts who post at 8am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, and 10 pm. Something tells me people like that are not really getting out much.

Quote:
And Lake Tahoe isn't about experiencing an "actual winter", its about skiing.
Lake tahoe is about way more than skiing, have you ever been there? Theres ice hockey, snowboarding, tubing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ie everything you do in a winter. Outside of the fourth of july, you will never see hordes of people heading to tahoe every week end of the summer, but you will in the winter.

Quote:
You get an "actual winter" in Chicago but you can't ski there.
You should not talk about Chicago's winters or skiing unless you actually understand it. First you can cross country ski in Chicago and second, there are places to ski near chicago with 2 hours of the city. Cant say the same about san jose or anywhere in the bay area.

Quote:
And lol at you telling me not to use words that "I don't understand"... something tells me I could probably write circles around you. Being condescending doesn't suit you.
Your not even old enough to have a college degree kiddo, spare us the pretension, it does not suit you.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Is your mall or your kitchen Bergdorf Goodman Restaurant? Who prepared your tea?
No, not in the least, I run a clean operation, no one bergdorfs in my kitchen.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Most people cant. Unlike you, must of us are not teenagers, we have jobs, careers, and bills. We can't walk around the Oakland Hills taking pictures all day because we have obligations. And I didn't say people don't take advantage of nature, I was talking about city-data addicts who post at 8am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, and 10 pm. Something tells me people like that are not really getting out much.

Lake tahoe is about way more than skiing, have you ever been there? Theres ice hockey, snowboarding, tubing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ie everything you do in a winter. Outside of the fourth of july, you will never see hordes of people heading to tahoe every week end of the summer, but you will in the winter.

You should not talk about Chicago's winters or skiing unless you actually understand it. First you can cross country ski in Chicago and second, there are places to ski near chicago with 2 hours of the city. Cant say the same about san jose or anywhere in the bay area.

Your not even old enough to have a college degree kiddo, spare us the pretension, it does not suit you.

You think a college degree makes you a good writer? rofl that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

And yes, that's my point. People go to Lake Tahoe to do snow/ice activities, not to live there. They only experience winter as a means to do wintersports... you don't see any of them moving to the east coast to enjoy the freezing weather for four months a year.

And maybe, just maybe, people mean that they don't want to LIVE somewhere where they'd have to be shoveling snow. Such a novel thought

Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
You think a college degree makes you a good writer? rofl that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
Not to be a grammar nazi or anything, but the term is most funny, funniest is not a word.

Quote:
And yes, that's my point. People go to Lake Tahoe to do snow/ice activities, not to live there. They only experience winter as a means to do wintersports... you don't see any of them moving to the east coast to enjoy the freezing weather for four months a year.
I am an avid snowboarder, there are plenty of pro's from california that relocated to wyoming, montana, and colorado to experience more winter. In fact Montana, Idaho, Colorado, wyoming, and oregon, all have climates that are more cold than california, yet have seem a massive influx of california natives moving to their states.

Quote:
And maybe, just maybe, people mean that they don't want to LIVE somewhere where they'd have to be shoveling snow. Such a novel thought
Its 2011, people have snowblowers. I have not seen some one in my moms neighborhood shovel snow since the 90's.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 AM

292 posts, read 752,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Wtf? You have never been to NYC if you think LA can match it pound for pound. LA trumps SF as a city, but neither California cities come close to NYC. You have to be on drugs to think that, take a walk in DT Brooklyn alone and you will be pressed to find a downtown better than LA's and that's needless to say Manhattan is a whole another animal

In general, the Bay Area offers everything. You can get an incredibly urban, vibrant experience (San Francisco), a gritty, artsier urban experience (Oakland, Berkeley), cool beach towns with strong roots (Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay), redwood forests (Big Basin), wine country (Napa, Sonoma), interesting, walkable downtown cores spread through (Palo Alto, Walnut Creek, Mountain View), great mexican and asian enclaves (Redwood City, Daly City, etc), world class universities, bridges, restaurants & bars, hiking, urbanity surrounded by natural beauty - there is a reason the Bay Area is one of the most expensive and sought after places in the country.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Not to be a grammar nazi or anything, but the term is most funny, funniest is not a word.

I am an avid snowboarder, there are plenty of pro's from california that relocated to wyoming, montana, and colorado to experience more winter. In fact Montana, Idaho, Colorado, wyoming, and oregon, all have climates that are more cold than california, yet have seem a massive influx of california natives moving to their states.

Its 2011, people have snowblowers. I have not seen some one in my moms neighborhood shovel snow since the 90's.

Not to be a grammar Ally but you're wrong.

Funniest - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

And those states are also much more affordable.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And those states are also much more affordable.
They also have winters. Which was my point. Many Californian's on here try to make a huge hoopla over not having winters, mean while a good amount of the state goes to tahoe or where ever for the week end, and a good amount of california natives are moving to climates where it is much more cold. So my guess is that having a cold snowy winter is not as big a deal as some posters are making it out to be.

Its really not that hard to enjoy a winter. You should take your camera, go explore the world, and try it. What good is trying to lecture people about winter from Oakland? Wheres that going to get you in the scheme of things? It will just get you set in stubborn ways.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
They also have winters. Which was my point. Many Californian's on here try to make a huge hoopla over not having winters, mean while a good amount of the state goes to tahoe or where ever for the week end, and a good amount of california natives are moving to climates where it is much more cold. So my guess is that having a cold snowy winter is not as big a deal as some posters are making it out to be.

Its really not that hard to enjoy a winter. You should take your camera, go explore the world, and try it. What good is trying to lecture people about winter from Oakland? Wheres that going to get you in the scheme of things? It will just get you set in stubborn ways.

Thank you o' wise one, I've been outside of CA multiple times during the winter

And no, I didn't "enjoy" myself freezing my ass off four months ago in KC/DC/Baltimore and two years ago in Gary IN/DC. It kind of really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City