Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better for people entering the IT industry
Austin 12 33.33%
San Jose 24 66.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times

Advertisements

Which one is better for people newly working in the IT industry to live and to develop a career? Austin seems to be growing fast in this area, but recently I think the growth has slowed recently and also Austin pays lower than Silicon Valley. However, both tax and cost of living are also lower. Please give your opinion and vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Austin & I'm not being biased either.

The cost of living in the San Jose-Bay Area is one of the highest in the country. When I was visiting out there last Summer I witnessed first hand how bad the economy really is out in California. Texans should be thanking their lucky stars we've been so blessed in this recession. Also, my friend who is an RN in Houston now moved out to SJ & lasted for about 2 weeks before she packed up everything & moved right back to Texas. They would only offer her a temp position & was working at 3 different hospitals just to cover the cost of living making around 45-50 bucks an hour which is about what she makes here realizing a lot more. As a matter of fact she just bought a brand new house down in Houston. In San Jose she would still be renting an old $1,500 a month studio size apartment.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
San Jose if only for the sheer number of high-profile tech companies to get your career rolling with. It's not the best place to live and work long term, but if you don't mind putting in a decade or so, and then going remote or to another geo, it might still serve that purpose well.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin & I'm not being biased either.

The cost of living in the San Jose-Bay Area is one of the highest in the country. When I was visiting out there last Summer I witnessed first hand how bad the economy really is out in California. Texans should be thanking their lucky stars we've been so blessed in this recession. Also, my friend who is an RN in Houston now moved out to SJ & lasted for about 2 weeks before she packed up everything & moved right back to Texas. They would only offer her a temp position & was working at 3 different hospitals just to cover the cost of living making around 45-50 bucks an hour which is about what she makes here realizing a lot more. As a matter of fact she just bought a brand new house down in Houston. In San Jose she would still be renting an old $1,500 a month studio size apartment.
But in California your friend who is a nurse has a very strong union & benefits are more generous in California compared to Texas. But agree that San Jose is expensive overall.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
But in California your friend who is a nurse has a very strong union & benefits
That could have been useful for the two nurses in the whistleblower trial in Midland.

I liken Silicon Valley to the Energy Capital (Houston); these places are the meccas of the industry. Lose your job in one company? There are other companies in the town to find work at, so you don't have to move from place-to-place.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Mehhh my cousin lives in SJ and I go to school in ATX.

But in a very non biased way, neither, San Francisco is where it's at, but if I had to pick, then Austin. SJ has the ugliest skyline ever, and that plays a huge role for me.

Besides it's Silicon Hills VS. Silicon Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City