Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont see why it matters. We have just about all the same shops, the difference is that ours are in a mall and yours are streetfront (minus Copely Place which is a mall). But they are still the same shops and they carry the same s**t.
Agreed the quality of what you buy is not changed whether its a mall or street but the quality of your setting is important to consider also. Streets like 5th Avenue, Magnificent Mile, and Rodeo Drive leave a brand name that no mall can compete with in prestige, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont see why it matters. We have just about all the same shops, the difference is that ours are in a mall and yours are streetfront (minus Copely Place which is a mall). But they are still the same shops and they carry the same s**t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Exactly, I really do not see the difference.
Well there really is no difference in terms of what you can buy...but you could say that about pretty much everything. The difference is in one area you're at a shopping mall surrounded by parking lots, and in the other you're surrounded by beautiful architecture, streetscapes, street performers, etc.

It's not necessarily saying one is better than the other...but people must like it. There's a reason Newbury Street is in the Top 10 for most expensive retail rents in North & South America.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well there really is no difference in terms of what you can buy...but you could say that about pretty much everything. The difference is in one area you're at a shopping mall surrounded by parking lots, and in the other you're surrounded by beautiful architecture, streetscapes, street performers, etc.

It's not necessarily saying one is better than the other...but people must like it. There's a reason Newbury Street is in the Top 10 for most expensive retail rents in North & South America.
Excellent post.

Your post is an extension of mine where I stated streets leave a brand name in the world that malls cant compete with for prestige and I named 3 examples that your list also has 5th Avenue, Magnificent Mile, and Rodeo Drive. Malls dont get the same acclaim that high end street level shopping do, which is also proven by movies taken in wealthy places like Beverly Hills and Manhattan where shopping is done on street rather than mall

Old 02-09-2011, 10:03 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:

I would rather be in a mall. The temps in Dallas get over 100 degrees in the Summer. What person would want to be outside in that?

In Dallas we have more shopping centers than malls. There's only 4 malls in Dallas, that's not including the metro. When Southwest Center mall closes we will only have 3 malls.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I would rather be in a mall.
Well a lot of people don't share your feelings.

Quote:
The temps in Dallas get over 100 degrees in the Summer. What person would want to be outside in that?
Temperatures get down to the teens and single digits during winter in Boston, New York and Chicago...their major shopping streets somehow manage to stay afloat.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I would rather be in a mall. The temps in Dallas get over 100 degrees in the Summer. What person would want to be outside in that?
It snows in Boston but that doesnt stop Bostonians from shopping in the winter. Whats your point?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
^^I bet it does. Youre saying there just as many shoppers when its 10 degrees as 80?? Really

Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Agreed the quality of what you buy is not changed whether its a mall or street but the quality of your setting is important to consider also. Streets like 5th Avenue, Magnificent Mile, and Rodeo Drive leave a brand name that no mall can compete with in prestige, IMO
Im kind of indifferent to the whole thing. I used to shop way more at Del Amo and the South Bay Galleria even though they are malls rather than make a short drive to Melrose or Rodeo drive. But again, Im more of a blue collar, Dickies and Vans wearing kind of guy.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^I bet it does. Youre saying there just as many shoppers when its 10 degrees as 80?? Really
I don't think he's saying there's the same amount, but there are still shoppers. It's obviously not the same number of people when the temperatures are at an extreme.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
I don't think he's saying there's the same amount, but there are still shoppers. It's obviously not the same number of people when the temperatures are at an extreme.

Sure. Same with the heat....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City