Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:34 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

I for one am incredibly impressed. The Newbury Street pictures are exquisitely nice, I really wish we had architecture like that in Texas, unfortunately, we have a different style. Keeping it real Boston, keeping it real!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I for one am incredibly impressed. The Newbury Street pictures are exquisitely nice, I really wish we had architecture like that in Texas, unfortunately, we have a different style. Keeping it real Boston, keeping it real!
I'm not impressed by either. I like the Newbury design more and it does have MUCH more character though. I wouldn't called the design in TX ugly though; maybe plain and uninspired, but not ugly.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm kind of hard to impress.
If its a girl, my expectations are pretty high, kind of glad though that I have someone that meets most of them, haha I suppose.

If its a city, its easy to impress me, all a city has to be is friendly, not filled with either hippies or hicks (I especially HATE hippies), a good prospective future, and be different than other cities and I will find it impressive.

Some turn off's for me when it comes to cities are:
- When they use the word "charm" to market anything about themselves. Logically when it comes to my personal interpretation, using the word charm is a signification that a city has no positive attributes and qualities and a handicap word has to be addressed to give it "merits". Same thing with the word unique. I think cities that are different are totally cool, but the word unique is a marketing campaign designated word.
- When they oversell any point, I don't normally like repetition, it shows that the city lacks self esteem and cant market itself. If a city states it has the largest mall in the country in a pamphlet once, I don't want to see it stated ever again in that pamphlet.
- A city that has a lot of pretentiousness, I don't like cocky cities with cocky people. Elegance and sleek build comes from humble and positive qualities, not attributed to inferiority complexes where one must take it upon themselves to "one up" or always take of what blesses their location as if its a miracle. Looks dumb and idiotic.
- Must have a variation in dining, anything short of my expectations is a dropped.
- Don't like seeing an abundance of hippies or hicks, hate both sides of the spectrum the far left blues and the far right reds. Hate them both passionately and equally about the same. Moderation and moderate friendly atmosphere indicates to me (to me at least) that maturity is present, and that coexistence is simpler when both sides are split down the middle in influence. America's about working together, why do you you think the country is so vast and large with an abundance of everything? It's about helping ourselves by helping us all.

That concludes my speech this morning.

Besides that, a city impressing me, its rather easy.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
These two (by CSA) are roughly about similar in size, or will be at least in a year or two. Both cities go under the radar and both very respectable and nice cities.

Criteria:
- Weather DAL
- Scenery BOS
- Economy DAL
- Education BOS
- Parks BOS
- Waterfront-TIE(could care less)
- Nightlife-DAL
- Safety-DAL
- Downtown activity-BOS
- Shopping-DAL
- Diversity -DAL
- Housing stock-DAL
- School systems (K-12)-DAL
- Higher education (Colleges & Universities)-BOS
- Mass Transit-DAL
- Niche Industry (What are they for either?)-BOS
- Pace of life-DAL
- Quality of life-DAL
- Cost of living-DAL
- Dining scene-BOS(seafood)

Questions:
- Which one would you rather live in? And why?
Dallas.Boston is too cold,too expensive,not friendly,

Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
in 90 degree weather?? no thanks.

I will take the sterile air conditioned enclosure.

I am buying clothes and getting the heck outta there, I am not buying an experience.
Yeh its no worse than cities in the North that have underground malls like MN-SP and Montreal because of the extreme winters.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 AM

126 posts, read 304,354 times
weather-dallas
cost of living- dallas

pretty much everything else (imo) boston

I like boston

Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
If its a girl, my expectations are pretty high, kind of glad though that I have someone that meets most of them, haha I suppose.

If its a city, its easy to impress me, all a city has to be is friendly, not filled with either hippies or hicks (I especially HATE hippies), a good prospective future, and be different than other cities and I will find it impressive.

Some turn off's for me when it comes to cities are:
- When they use the word "charm" to market anything about themselves. Logically when it comes to my personal interpretation, using the word charm is a signification that a city has no positive attributes and qualities and a handicap word has to be addressed to give it "merits". Same thing with the word unique. I think cities that are different are totally cool, but the word unique is a marketing campaign designated word.
- When they oversell any point, I don't normally like repetition, it shows that the city lacks self esteem and cant market itself. If a city states it has the largest mall in the country in a pamphlet once, I don't want to see it stated ever again in that pamphlet.
- A city that has a lot of pretentiousness, I don't like cocky cities with cocky people. Elegance and sleek build comes from humble and positive qualities, not attributed to inferiority complexes where one must take it upon themselves to "one up" or always take of what blesses their location as if its a miracle. Looks dumb and idiotic.
- Must have a variation in dining, anything short of my expectations is a dropped.
- Don't like seeing an abundance of hippies or hicks, hate both sides of the spectrum the far left blues and the far right reds. Hate them both passionately and equally about the same. Moderation and moderate friendly atmosphere indicates to me (to me at least) that maturity is present, and that coexistence is simpler when both sides are split down the middle in influence. America's about working together, why do you you think the country is so vast and large with an abundance of everything? It's about helping ourselves by helping us all.

That concludes my speech this morning.

Besides that, a city impressing me, its rather easy.
Danny I wish I could rep you for this as you have articulated your preferences for cities poignantly. Although Dallas is not one of my favorite cities and I even have some strong dislikes for some of it's attributes, one thing that imprinted me the most was the people. I had to go to Dallas due to some tough personal circumstances and the people there were so warm and friendly and treated me very well. That experience had shed some light on what was otherwise a rough time and is something that tugs at my heartstrings and I'll always remember. And at the end of the day it is the people of the city that enrich the experience of traveling the most.

Your criteria for cities can be met where ever you travel as you already have an open mind and a good eye for the real substance of any city. You look beyond the steroetypes. I think we can all learn from that, and I always appreciate what you write on C-D.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Dallas.Boston is too cold,too expensive,not friendly,
Wait...you gave Dallas the advantage in waterfront? With all due respect to Dallas, the Trinity River is alright...but at this time it doesn't utilize the river whatsoever (I am aware of the Trinity River Project), while Boston has one of the nicest harbors in the country along with the Charles River.

You also said Dallas has better mass transit? Come on man...Boston destroys Dallas in every single category for mass transit.

In terms of safety, Boston ranks as the #4 metro in the country (#10 in violent crime), Dallas ranks 15th (#19 in violent crime).

In terms of K-12 schools, Massachusetts is home to arguably the best public school system in the country.

You're usually pretty fair, so I gotta ask: are you drunk, do you hate Boston that much, or are you just joking in parts of your post?

Last edited by tmac9wr; 02-08-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Boston..

Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,045 times
- Weather - Dallas
- Scenery - Boston
- Economy - Tie?
- Education - Boston
- Parks - Boston
- Waterfront - Does Dallas even have a waterfront? Boston
- Nightlife - no idea... probably Boston with all the college kids.
- Safety - Boston
- Downtown activity - Boston
- Shopping - Boston
- Diversity - Tie
- Housing stock - Dallas probably has more housing
- School systems (K-12) - Boston
- Higher education (Colleges & Universities) - Boston
- Mass Transit - Boston
- Niche Industry (What are they for either?)
- Pace of life - Dallas
- Quality of life - Depends on what you like
- Cost of living - Dallas
- Dining scene - Boston

- Which one would you rather live in?
Boston... it is close to ocean, mountains, big cities, etc. Dallas is essentially in the middle of nowhere. I guess it is true, you get what you pay for. That is the reason Boston's cost of living is so much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City