Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Well whats hilarious is that the majority of the citizens of nyc would never make such a statement. Which is why i posted what i posted. What was the blogger? a freaking transplant? lol Nobody from nyc would make such a statement. Its ridiculous
Apparently, the statement was made- So you're statement is false.
Your provincial, close minded ignorance never fails you.
Do you know how many ex-NYer live in Hudson county? Do you know how many NYC business moved on over to Jersey City? Do you realize the NYC urban overflow in general is why Hudson County is what it is? I find it quite odd that NYers would never consider Hudson County as an "unofficial 6th boro"- They're the ones that created that term once they moved there in the first place.

Of course they are two separate states- I know that, you know that- EVERYONE knows that. The term "6th boro" isn't anything more than simple observation- No need to crap bricks over it. There will never be a 6th boro.
Hudson county is at the opening of the Hudson river, it has Ellis Island and liberty islands located in it's waters, it has tunnels/bridges/trains/ferrys to both Manhattan and Staten Island, and It's more urban than all other areas of the NYC metro.
It's pure logic to where Manhattan's urban overflow has ended up- Get over it.

For a true NYer you spend a lot of time worrying about NJ being so close -- Keep NJ out of your mouth and maybe you'd be a truer NYer... please do... just never enter another NJ thread again and prove that you really are a "true NYer" .... because as of right now, you seem to talk down on NJ to feel better about yourself- Where you live is apparently all you got as far as personal status goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
[quote=BPerone201;16910375]
Quote:
Apparently, the statement was made- So you're statement is false.
Your provincial, close minded ignorance never fails you.
Do you know how many ex-NYer live in Hudson county? Do you know how many NYC business moved on over to Jersey City? Do you realize the NYC urban overflow in general is why Hudson County is what it is? I find it quite odd that NYers would never consider Hudson County as an "unofficial 6th boro"- They're the ones that created that term once they moved there in the first place.
No my statement is very true. The majority culture of nyc does not consider hudson county to be some kind of extension of new york city. U have some bloggers making a case for florida being the sixth borough. In reality ny doesnt take the sixth borough thing seriosly. U dont enter nyc until you cross that gwb,holland or lincoln. Anything outside of that is not part of the fabric of the city.Period. It doesnt matter that the statement u found came from a supposed new yorker. U know damn well nj and its residents like to think of itself as some sort of extension of ny. Who do u think your fooling. Your not talking to someone from kansas or something. Im from the area i know what time it is. Anytime nj has a vs thread on this website, jerseyans are quick to mention its access to manhattan like as if that mattered.

Quote:
Of course they are two separate states- I know that, you know that- EVERYONE knows that. The term "6th boro" isn't anything more than simple observation- No need to crap bricks over it. There will never be a 6th boro.
Hudson county is at the opening of the Hudson river, it has Ellis Island and liberty islands located in it's waters, it has tunnels/bridges/trains/ferrys to both Manhattan and Staten Island, and It's more urban than all other areas of the NYC metro.
It's pure logic to where Manhattan's urban overflow has ended up- Get over it.
Get over manhattan, the nyers that happen to be in hudson county would most likely come from all 5 boroughs. The whole 6th boro thing is cute, its fantasy like some dungeons and dragons type sht. But u actually came out your ass and said hudson was "almost" a part of the fabric of nyc as bk and queens(actual sections of nyc and not wannabes)

Quote:
For a true NYer you spend a lot of time worrying about NJ being so close -- Keep NJ out of your mouth and maybe you'd be a truer NYer... please do... just never enter another NJ thread again and prove that you really are a "true NYer" .... because as of right now, you seem to talk down on NJ to feel better about yourself- Where you live is apparently all you got as far as personal status goes.
Well maybe if nj kept their mouth off of nycs "great monstrous appendage" than it would make my job easier. Ya would than be a true new jersey Instead of that swath of land that happens to sit across a big ass river from new york

Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 PM

115 posts, read 149,406 times
Palm Beach

Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
[quote=K.O.N.Y;16910895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

No my statement is very true. The majority culture of nyc does not consider hudson county to be some kind of extension of new york city. U have some bloggers making a case for florida being the sixth borough. In reality ny doesnt take the sixth borough thing seriosly. U dont enter nyc until you cross that gwb,holland or lincoln. Anything outside of that is not part of the fabric of the city.Period. It doesnt matter that the statement u found came from a supposed new yorker. U know damn well nj and its residents like to think of itself as some sort of extension of ny. Who do u think your fooling. Your not talking to someone from kansas or something. Im from the area i know what time it is. Anytime nj has a vs thread on this website, jerseyans are quick to mention its access to manhattan like as if that mattered.

Get over manhattan, the nyers that happen to be in hudson county would most likely come from all 5 boroughs. The whole 6th boro thing is cute, its fantasy like some dungeons and dragons type sht. But u actually came out your ass and said hudson was "almost" a part of the fabric of nyc as bk and queens(actual sections of nyc and not wannabes)

Well maybe if nj kept their mouth off of nycs "great monstrous appendage" than it would make my job easier. Ya would than be a true new jersey Instead of that swath of land that happens to sit across a big ass river from new york
It makes you mad that NJians have the convenience of Manhattan? Really?
Until NJ's COL/Taxes go down, I don't see the problem in mentioning and taking advantage of NYC at all. NJ has to pay the price being so close, and NYC has impacted NJ like the beast it is.

It's obvious that there is no "true NYer"- There's Native NYers who grew up in NYC- And they're all different with different styles, opinions, lifestyles etc.

You're the only ridiculous NYer on these threads that sucks NJ dry. You're also the biggest NJ hater on the NYC forums- It's basically only you and a few others (The "few others" also have shtty grammar like you)- There may be a clever rivalry (nothing serious, and nothing to the level you take it), but I've never experienced a NYer obnoxiously shoot down NJ IRL (unless of course they can't say it to my face)- There's a definite link between the two regions. When ever I'm in NYC visiting family and chatting with the natives in the area, they ask what part of Jersey i'm from (with interest, since they're familiar with the area) and talk to me like a local. According to you, they'd shun me and tell me to go back to NJ.

I know you like to think you're the king of NY and speak on behalf of 8 million people... But you're basically just embarrassing yourself.
My whole family from parents to grandparents are basically from NYC. I have family living in 4/5 boros- None of them truly hates NJ.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-07-2010 at 01:29 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
I lived in NYC and I really like NJ. I don't see the hatred coming from some folks.

The only reason NJ has a bad rep is because of that short ugly stretch of Turnpike/Pulaski/Meadowlands than everyone sees.

The state, on the whole, is one of the richest and best educated in the nation. Some really beautiful areas.

Now, as to the thread question, the Sixth Borough is clearly the Gold Coast of NJ.

Nothing else comes close, though maybe Lower Westchester County NY would receive honorable mention. But that area is more of an extension of the Bronx rather than a "Sixth Borough".

Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Hudson County is the most reasonable candidate for NYC as NYC has always been centered around Manhattan. Hudson County is pretty much the kind of back office and bedroom community that Brooklyn and Queens are with many former Manhattanites moving over to Brooklyn, people with dreams of NYC making their start in Hudson County first, and quick and frequent transportation ties to Manhattan. Other places claimed as the 6th borough are usually done so as hyperbole. Of course, there is no official 6th borough, but Hudson County is the closest it comes.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 AM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I lived in NYC and I really like NJ. I don't see the hatred coming from some folks.

The only reason NJ has a bad rep is because of that short ugly stretch of Turnpike/Pulaski/Meadowlands than everyone sees.

The state, on the whole, is one of the richest and best educated in the nation. Some really beautiful areas.

Now, as to the thread question, the Sixth Borough is clearly the Gold Coast of NJ.

Nothing else comes close, though maybe Lower Westchester County NY would receive honorable mention. But that area is more of an extension of the Bronx rather than a "Sixth Borough".
Sure, sure. White Plains and Purchase with IBM and Pepsico is clearly just an extension of the Bronx. You cleraly demonstrated a difference between someone who "lived in New York" and a New Yorker.

If any place deserves the status of sixth boro it is Nassau and Westchester counties. Nassau served as a sixth boro for decades.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This is actually where you put yourself in a corner and prove Hudson County as being the unofficial 6th boro. You repeated the fact that Hoboken is a bedroom community as if that's such a horror- But it's still an affluent urban playground. The outer boros are basically bedroom communities to Manhattan too. They're residential urban and have a thriving nightlife scene. Hoboken/Hudson county is really no different- The difference is that HC has it's own business core (Jersey City), being a 2nd tier city apart from NYC. (This is because it's in NJ) and the outer boros are a part of NYC all together.. though everyone knows Manhattan is the center of it all.

It's safe to say the unofficial 6th boro (based off statistics, geographical location, and history) would most definitely be Hudson County.

If you can ignore the arbitrary political boundaries, JC and Hoboken are almost as woven into the fabric of the city as Brooklyn and Queens across the opposite river.

It's not NJ being a wanna be- It's NJ and NYC benefiting from one another. It was NYC who proposed the #7 subway line extension into NJ.
I agree. If anything, Hoboken/Jersey City are much LESS of a bedroom community than 3 of the 5 boroughs of NYC. Yes, many people commute to the city's center (Manhattan) for work, but at least in Hoboken/JC there are tons of jobs, it's own skyline, etc.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I agree. If anything, Hoboken/Jersey City are much LESS of a bedroom community than 3 of the 5 boroughs of NYC. Yes, many people commute to the city's center (Manhattan) for work, but at least in Hoboken/JC there are tons of jobs, it's own skyline, etc.
Post like the one above clearly show that no part of New Jersey is worthy of the sixth boro status. Anybody who calls 3M big city like Brooklyn or Queens a bedroom community proves that he has no general knowledge about the City of New York. Of course there are thousands of jobs outside of Manhattan and of course there is Brooklyn skyline and real downtown. I kind of get your post, since there is no single city the size of Brooklyn or Queens in New Jersey you don't really know anything about urbanity. You simply watch Manhattan skyline and dream how great it would be if it was located in New Jersey I suspect however that if New York City was in fact in New Jersey, you would abandon and run it down it like you did with Newark. Sixth boro in New Jersey...

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
KONY, you really are ridiculous. For what it's worth, I've heard more "real NYers" say that they'd trade Hudson County for Staten Island in a heartbeat -- both in real life, and on this site.

Not that I personally would want that to happen, but it illustrates that most NYers who are sensible realize that Hudson County is much more connected to NYC both physically and culturally.

You make arguing with you very painful, and for your sake I honestly really do hope that you are not this abrasive in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City