Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The South does NOT have a monopoly on "black culture" or black history. Much of it is in the North, and NYC and Philadelphia are the two premier cities for black history. Atlanta, Houston, NO and other Southern cities are up there, but they're not in the top three because for much of their history, any blacks residing there were slaves.

I know plenty of blacks who are perfectly happy here in the Midwest and don't see Atlanta as any sort of "promised land." The South gave us slavery and Jim Crow -- how is that some sort of "promised land?" If anything, it would be like Jews wanting to return to Germany.

As for me personally, I'm part black (I'm not culturally black), and I have exactly zero desire to ever live in Atlanta (or anywhere south of the Upper Midwest).
Why wouldn't you put any of those Southern cities in the top 3? Especially considering most of the black culture, black icons, black musicians, black athletes, poets, activist, heck even the Black Gangsters up North, originated and came from the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:34 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What are you talking about? A word can have more than one meaning, so long as that meaning is recognized by more than one person. So if I said your shoes were "tight," you would loosen the strings? Or if I said that Obama was a "bad" man, you'd liken him to Adolf Hitler? You understood perfectly well what I meant without the need to resort to Webster's. Stop playing.
Aye I remember this one dude in the neighborhood who had a throwback that was a little too small. He was braggin about it then i was like "its kinda tight" then dude was like "aint it man" then i was like "no literally,its tight, its too small". That s*** looked like a wife beater with a logo on it or something.

lol anyway my list:

Detroit ATL, Chicago, NYC, Philly, DC, New orleans, L.A., and maybe Oakland

Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i disagree and it irks me when ppl that aren't from ny and that don't know much about ny say this.

as a person that is from ny and was here during the worst of times and now the best of times (i guess from a cleaner city, cookie cutter city standpoint) i can tell you that when we were bad, everything was teh fault of black ppl.

crack? black ppl.
guns? black ppl.
2000+ deaths a year? black ppl.
prostitution, pimps, scam artists? black ppl.
bums? black ppl.
suspects? black ppl.

but now that we don't have as much of the above as we used to, now we're a "west indian city" that "no one ethnicity dominates" and "don't have a rich black culture like philly or some other city."

get outta here. when we were like this:

we were black tho, right?
So true, so true. I agree with you on this, and I'm Haitian.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:44 PM

NYC should def be in the discussion. Look at Harlem, The Apollo Theater, Hip-Hop, etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
While Oakland does have a high black population, I don't think it has much of an African American history.
I dont know about that. If im not mistaken the Black Panther Party began in Oakland, and they've had numerous rnb and hip hop musicians. Thats impressive for a small city of 400,000

Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM

287 posts, read 497,936 times
You guys understand that these " West Indian" people you are trying to disassociate from other blacks where brought over from Africa to those islands to be slaves too right? The "West Indies" were all slave colonies and those people's history are not much different from other African slaves aside from being freed slightly earlier and being on islands.

Last edited by dmagoku; 09-03-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
You guys understand that these " West Indian" people you are trying to disassociate from other blacks where brought over from Africa to those islands to be laves too right? The "West Indies" were all slave colonies and those people's history are not much different from other African slaves aside from being freed slightly earlier and being on islands.
Yep, I know the history.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You guys understand that these " West Indian" people you are trying to disassociate from other blacks where brought over from Africa to those islands to be laves too right? The "West Indies" were all slave colonies and those people's history are not much different from other African slaves aside from being freed slightly earlier and being on islands.
Malcom X was half carribean; Colon Powel's parents are from jamaica; Marcus Garvey was born in Jamaica but no one diassociates them with African Americans

Old 09-03-2010, 04:55 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
As one of these "West Indian people," I am very aware of this fact. I am also aware of the fact that West Indian immigrants have a very different social and political outlook than black Americans. A black person from Trinidad and a black person from Mississippi have far less in common than a black person from Mississippi and one from New York.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:55 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
You guys understand that these " West Indian" people you are trying to disassociate from other blacks where brought over from Africa to those islands to be slaves too right? The "West Indies" were all slave colonies and those people's history are not much different from other African slaves aside from being freed slightly earlier and being on islands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Malcom X was half carribean; Colon Powel's parents are from jamaica; Marcus Garvey was born in Jamaica but no one diassociates them with African Americans
exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City