Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
First, I'm mad that you included the Dipset on your list. If anything, those guys are a blemish on Harlem's sacred legacy.
and you're entitled to your opinion. some ppl might be mad that i included charlie rangel or al sharpton but it is what it is.

musically speaking, the diplomats have reached mainstream and have transcended their borough, city, state, and region. kids in cali, georgia, ohio, etc. know who the diplomats are and they started in harlem. they are a part of african american music that came out of ny that reached the masses. good or bad they are a part of black music that came out of nyc.

Quote:
Second, I'm not saying that NYC has absolutely NO soul. But it does not have the "soul" of a Detroit, Birmingham, Chicago, or Philly. By "soul," I mean black American culture. Calypso, soca, and reggae are not "soul" music and yam, roti and cou cou are not "soul" food. It is a very specific reference to a specific culture and genre.
explain why ny doesn't have the soul of the cities that you mention.

what is soul music to you, as well.

did you read about the musicians of the harlem renaissance? google it.

Quote:
Third, can you guys really claim Malcolm X, Louis Armstrong, Zora Neale Hurston and such? True, they made their names in Harlem (Armstrong actually made his name in the Chi before moving to NYC), but they are not products of NYC. Today, Harlem is a mix of blacks from the South (who will be a minority fairly soon) and West Africans. The other boroughs, especially Brooklyn, will be dominated by blacks of West Indian ancestry given the current immigration patterns (black Americans keep leaving NYC to head down south). That's why I said that city is less "soulful" than other places. If anything, NYC is more a West Indian town than anything else.
yes, we really can claim these ppl.

they got their starts in nyc. their careers are nyc and they are a part of our culture.

one does not have to be born in an area to make an impact in that area and to be "from" that area. there are plenty of examples so i will not argue on that but read any book about the harlem renaissance and your questions will be answered as to whether we can claim these ppl or not.

there was a time where blacks in the south moved to the north. would the south then be souless and not have rich african american history?? because the demographics changed over time?

i don't think so and i don't think others would agree with you.

i understand what you think but before you label nyc, learn about nyc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
NYC is too big and diverse to be associated with any one ethnicity. There are literally people from all over this planet residing in New York.

As far as "soulful," I can't say that any city is that. It comes down to the individual, and I DON'T think race has anything to do with it.
I defined "soulful." You didn't read what I wrote. "Soulful" does not mean the possession of "spirit" or "soul" in a literal sense. When I say "soul" food, you know that I mean fried chicken, macaroni, collards, yams, cornbread and such, right? If you asked for soul food, and I gave you a plate of roti and pelau, you'd be pretty confused, right? "Soul" is not a judgment; it's a descriptor.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
eek

Quote:
NYC is too big and diverse to be associated with any one ethnicity. There are literally people from all over this planet residing in New York.
i disagree and it irks me when ppl that aren't from ny and that don't know much about ny say this.

as a person that is from ny and was here during the worst of times and now the best of times (i guess from a cleaner city, cookie cutter city standpoint) i can tell you that when we were bad, everything was teh fault of black ppl.

crack? black ppl.
guns? black ppl.
2000+ deaths a year? black ppl.
prostitution, pimps, scam artists? black ppl.
bums? black ppl.
suspects? black ppl.

but now that we don't have as much of the above as we used to, now we're a "west indian city" that "no one ethnicity dominates" and "don't have a rich black culture like philly or some other city."

get outta here. when we were like this:

we were black tho, right?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
I defined "soulful." You didn't read what I wrote. "Soulful" does not mean the possession of "spirit" or "soul" in a literal sense. When I say "soul" food, you know that I mean fried chicken, macaroni, collards, yams, cornbread and such, right? If you asked for soul food, and I gave you a plate of roti and pelau, you'd be pretty confused, right? "Soul" is not a judgment; it's a descriptor.
The dictionary defines "soulful" as:

S: (adj) soulful (full of or expressing deep emotion) "soulful eyes"; "soulful music"

You defined "soulful" as black.

You can't redefine words to mean something else. If I wanted to say that "bright" was a synonym for "Minnesotan," and then claim that NYC wasn't very "bright," I couldn't do that, right?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Eek,

You're missing the point. NYC has an AA influence, but the West Indian influence is just as strong, maybe stronger, and it has been this way for some time now. If you don't think this is the case, you should take a trip down to the Eastern Parkway in Crown Heights on Monday. Maybe we can meet up.

BIM REPRESENT!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Those aren't northern cities, they're Midwestern cities. By northern, I mean Boston, NYC, and Philadelphia. I suppose people in Detroit think of themselves as northerners, but when people say "up north," I think most tend to think of the East Coast.
Not really. If you go to Mississippi or Georgia, midwestern cities are definitely "up north." That's just your view...people in the Midwest might see Philly new York etc as eastern cities.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i disagree and it irks me when ppl that aren't from ny and that don't know much about ny say this.

as a person that is from ny and was here during the worst of times and now the best of times (i guess from a cleaner city, cookie cutter city standpoint) i can tell you that when we were bad, everything was teh fault of black ppl.

crack? black ppl.
guns? black ppl.
2000+ deaths a year? black ppl.
prostitution, pimps, scam artists? black ppl.
bums? black ppl.
suspects? black ppl.

but now that we don't have as much of the above as we used to, now we're a "west indian city" that "no one ethnicity dominates" and "don't have a rich black culture like philly or some other city."

get outta here. when we were like this:

we were black tho, right?
No. NYC was diverse then, and it is diverse today. No race dominates in New York. It does not have a majority, or even a significant plurality, race or ethnicity.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The dictionary defines "soulful" as:

S: (adj) soulful (full of or expressing deep emotion) "soulful eyes"; "soulful music"

You defined "soulful" as black.

You can't redefine words to mean something else. If I wanted to say that "bright" was a synonym for "Minnesotan," and then claim that NYC wasn't very "bright," I couldn't do that, right?
What are you talking about? A word can have more than one meaning, so long as that meaning is recognized by more than one person. So if I said your shoes were "tight," you would loosen the strings? Or if I said that Obama was a "bad" man, you'd liken him to Adolf Hitler? You understood perfectly well what I meant without the need to resort to Webster's. Stop playing.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
eek

i'm from jamaica ny. what would i need to go to crown heights to see west indian culture for? we have a ton of guyanese indians here as it is. at one time it was a lot of haitians, jamaicans, ppl from trinidad, etc.

smh at this even being a discussion tho. like the harlem renaissance didn't exist, like hip hop wasn't created from black plight.

i'm done tho. i've already proven my point with pics and videos and have stated my opinion on why nyc should be considered in this discussion. the proof is there. the facts support my statements.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
did anybody mention oakland?
Odd, I was thinking the exact same thing, right before I read your post. Oakland DEFINITELY deserves props(black panthers). It's probably the most diverse of the "black cities".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City