Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Our Harlem Renaissance Documentary, Part 1

YouTube - our harlem renaissance documentary, part 2

we gonna act like:

YouTube - Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

doesn't exist??

like every other black american person in ny, she started out in the south, came to ny got her start in ny, etc. etc.

but ny doesn't have a soul.
lets go on:

duke ellington:

YouTube - Duke Ellington: Take The "A" Train

has anyone ever heard of:

?? but we don't have a soul.

ever heard of her?

no?

YouTube - Ella fitzgerald - Mack The Knife High quality

but we don't have a soul.

he was a part of the culture too. but we are gonna act like that didn't happen. because ny doesn't have a soul.

zora neale hurston

langston hughes:

this is part one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 02:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I think Atlanta would be the first city to come to mind when thinking of black history and culture.

Yes Philly, DC, Baltimore, etc. may have rich black history and may be majority black cities in the present, but Atlanta kind of serves as the face for blacks and black culture. Its looked at as sort of the promise land. You always hear black people talk of how they want to move down to Atlanta. Plus its in the south. The south and black culture go hand in hand. There are different varieties of black culture all over the country (NE culture, West coast Culture, Midwest, etc.) but the south is the one place where all those varieties can come together because its like coming back home to the roots/essence of it all. And Atlanta just so happens to be the premier black city in the south.

SN: I dont really think of NYC when I think of black culture, just because they have too much going on and there are too many other cultures that dominate. Virginia cities also have A LOT of black culture and history. Many blacks can trace their roots back to VA, but I dont think any city in VA could be the face of black culture.
The South does NOT have a monopoly on "black culture" or black history. Much of it is in the North, and NYC and Philadelphia are the two premier cities for black history. Atlanta, Houston, NO and other Southern cities are up there, but they're not in the top three because for much of their history, any blacks residing there were slaves.

I know plenty of blacks who are perfectly happy here in the Midwest and don't see Atlanta as any sort of "promised land." The South gave us slavery and Jim Crow -- how is that some sort of "promised land?" If anything, it would be like Jews wanting to return to Germany.

As for me personally, I'm part black (I'm not culturally black), and I have exactly zero desire to ever live in Atlanta (or anywhere south of the Upper Midwest).

Old 09-03-2010, 03:05 PM

16 posts, read 38,092 times
I would say Mississippi, because most African Americans migrated to Chicago, Detroit and Philiadelphia to flee slavery, majority went to historically black colleges throughtout the South. Some of the most affluent African Americans still live in the South.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 PM
eek

anyone not considering ny is either a hater, in denial or didn't pay attention in history class at all.
i know they teach this stuff in junior high/middle school, high school and college.

lets go on:

YouTube - MALCOLM X: The White Man Brings Drugs Into Harlem

while we on that, lets chill with the music/authors and art for a sec. what about:

YouTube - Al Sharpton vs Tavis Smiley pt1 Barack Obama & the Black Agenda

despite what you think about al sharpton, that man has done a lot.
while we're on that,

so has that man. wiki it. learn about it.

and african american culture, west indian culture and african culture go hand in hand, period. who cares what the rest of the u.s. thinks. we are all a part of the african diaspora. read a book.

ever heard of speak easies??

while you're at it, google cab calloway.

thats another one.

YouTube - Louis Armstrong - When The Saints Go Marching In

google this:

and count basie, thelonius monk, alfonso schomburg, web dubois, etc.

and we haven't even gotten to:

http://www.pbleepd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/r12.jpg (broken link)
http://mixunit.com/ProductImages/cdalbums/CDAL839.jpg (broken link)
etc. etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Probably New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, Oakland

Old 09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I dont think he meant that new york doesnt have a soul, i think he's talking about soul music (at least thats what I got out of it)
na i totally disagree on what he meant. and ny does have soul music so even if he was talking about music he'd be wrong.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Boise ID?
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Compton, Oakland,St Louis, Harlem

Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM

287 posts, read 498,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

As for me personally, I'm part black (I'm not culturally black),

Not culturally? What does that mean; you listen to rock music?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Not culturally? What does that mean; you listen to rock music?
It would take several hours to explain it all, and it's off-topic for this thread, so I won't go into that. Still, in a nutshell:

1) Yes, rock is my favorite type of music, but it goes much deeper than that.
2) I'm affected far more by other cultures than African-American culture. I'm not ashamed of my black heritage, but I'm proud of my other heritages as well. I don't culturally identify with Af-Am people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City