Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM

10,764 posts, read 23,889,013 times

Advertisements

Portland, Maine and Portland, Oregon are probably the two cities with the same name that would need clarification as to what state the city is in. One says "Portland" and most assume Oregon, but often times many would think of Maine first as well, especially in the Northeast. Though Portland, Oregon's namesake is the city in Maine as one of the first pioneers to settle it was from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,503,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda jo View Post
The Simpsons springfield was names after springfield Montana. They finally released it after 25 years of the cartoon. I'm pretty sure it has a connection with the creator of the Simpsons
The connection is with Springfield Oregon. The streets in NW Portland are Flanders, Quimby, Lovejoy and maybe a couple of others that don't spring to mind but are characters in the show. Matt Groening went to Lincoln High in the SW part of Portland and has carved a picture of Bart Simpson complete with signature there.

The Simpson family is named after his relatives living in Oregon. Springfield is the capital of Oregon. While other cities have a Springfield, Groening has ties with Portland. The actors who do voiceovers have been grand marshals in Portland's Rose Parade in his honor as a hometown boy made good.

'The Simpsons': Springfield's Location Revealed

Last edited by Minervah; 08-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Decided to Google it

Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM

14,054 posts, read 15,090,918 times
Concord MA, NH, NC, CA
Pittsburgh, NH, PA
Boston MA, SC, GA
Arlington TX, VA
Charleston WV, SC
Portsmouth, NH, RI, VA
Burlington, Everywhere
Salem, Or, NH, MA
Pasadena, CA, TX
Miami, OH, FL

Manchester, MA actually changed its name to Manchester By the Sea in the 90s to avoid Confusion with Manchester, NH

Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,284,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The connection is with Springfield Oregon. The streets in NW Portland are Flanders, Quimby, Lovejoy and maybe a couple of others that don't spring to mind but are characters in the show. Matt Groening went to Lincoln High in the SW part of Portland and has carved a picture of Bart Simpson complete with signature there.

The Simpson family is named after his relatives living in Oregon. Springfield is the capital of Oregon. While other cities have a Springfield, Groening has ties with Portland. The actors who do voiceovers have been grand marshals in Portland's Rose Parade in his honor as a hometown boy made good.

'The Simpsons': Springfield's Location Revealed
Pretty sure Salem is the capital of Oregon.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,955,147 times
There is a Gonzales and a Luling in both Texas and Louisiana...oddly enough, in both states, they are close to each other.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times
Newark NJ, DE, and CA. There are definitely some more but that's off the top of my head.

Newark, NJ and DE are pronounced differently, too, but not sure about pronunciation in CA. New-ARK in DE vs New-ERK (or something more similar to Nork) in NJ.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,032,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Yeah, that didn't sound right to me. Isn't Springfield the capital of Illinois?

I'd also heard that Springfield was chosen for The Simpsons because of how many there are throughout the US. Maybe there were other reasons more specific, but I thought tho was definitely one of them.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,955,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I'd also heard that Springfield was chosen for The Simpsons because of how many there are throughout the US. Maybe there were other reasons more specific, but I thought tho was definitely one of them.
Yeah, it was, but Groening admitted a few months ago that it was inspired by the one in Oregon.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Whoops! Sorry, my bad. You are correct. Fingers slipped again. Springfield is a town in Oregon but not the capital.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Yes Springfield is the capital of Illinois. Salem is the capital of Oregon. I used to live in Chicago. That's what I was probably thinking when I put the capital of Oregon in Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City