Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 2 cities are the most opposite:
Los Angeles and San Francisco 31 40.79%
Houston and Dallas 6 7.89%
Miami and Jacksonville 34 44.74%
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times

Advertisements

Which of these pairs of cities from the same state do you think are the most opposite? I just chose what seem like the two most prominent cities in each state (or in the case of FL, the cities that seem most different). Basically, which state's most prominent cities differ most from each other?

The pairs:

Los Angeles, California and San Francisco, California

Houston, Texas and Dallas, Texas

Miami, Florida and Jacksonville, Florida

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Criteria:

- Urban design (public transportation, density, downtown activity, etc.)
- Local culture and identity
- Regional feel
- Demographics
- Economics
- Geography and climate
- Quality of life
- Anything else relevant to the comparison

Feel free to compare city proper and/or metro.

Just to avoid confusion, we're not comparing pair A to pair B, only the cities within each pair.

For example, if you think Pittsburgh is very different from Philadelphia, but Houston and Dallas are very similar, then you would vote for the Philly-Pittsburgh choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
01. Miami & Jacksonville- Night & Day difference between them. One is Multi-Nodal in terms of metro and the other is Singular-Nodal.

02. Los Angeles & San Francisco- Stark differences, but not as much as Miami & Jacksonville. Both are completely opposites though but have the same Western Vibes. The layout of the cities are total opposites. One is Multi-Nodal in terms of metro and the other is Singular-Nodal.

03. Houston & Dallas- People will ALWAYS say they're the same, but they're not. There are good levels of similarities and both are sibling cities but Houston really distinguishes itself for what it is and why it became a city in the first place by a geographical standpoint. The layout for the cities are the same though, both on a grid and both sprawl similarly. One is Multi-Nodal in terms of metro and the other is Singular-Nodal. I've lived in them both, know both very well and can tell you they are not the same at all and there are things in both that the other has no answer too, people who say that are either close minded or haven't seen much of either city.

04. Philadelphia & Pittsburgh- One is a Bos-Wash city and is Northeastern, the other is the Capital of Appalachia. The topography seems to be different, but haven't been to Pittsburgh to know all the stark differences. Both are Singular-Nodals.

But here is an interesting read: Pittsburgh: Capital of Appalachia | The Moderate Voice

Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
I say Los Angeles and that bay area cess pool. L.A. people are cool as can be. That waste area from Marin to San Jose back up to Vallejo could never be SOCAL.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Why the heck did I vote LA/SF??? It's easily Miami/Jax!!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
01. Miami & Jacksonville- Night & Day difference between them. One is Multi-Nodal in terms of metro and the other is Singular-Nodal.

02. Los Angeles & San Francisco- Stark differences, but not as much as Miami & Jacksonville. Both are completely opposites though but have the same Western Vibes. The layout of the cities are total opposites. One is Multi-Nodal in terms of metro and the other is Singular-Nodal.

03. Houston & Dallas- People will ALWAYS say they're the same, but they're not. There are good levels of similarities and both are sibling cities but Houston really distinguishes itself for what it is and why it became a city in the first place by a geographical standpoint. The layout for the cities are the same though, both on a grid and both sprawl similarly. One is Multi-Nodal in terms of metro and the other is Singular-Nodal. I've lived in them both, know both very well and can tell you they are not the same at all and there are things in both that the other has no answer too, people who say that are either close minded or haven't seen much of either city.

04. Philadelphia & Pittsburgh- One is a Bos-Wash city and is Northeastern, the other is the Capital of Appalachia. The topography seems to be different, but haven't been to Pittsburgh to know all the stark differences. Both are Singular-Nodals.

But here is an interesting read: Pittsburgh: Capital of Appalachia | The Moderate Voice
I would like to visit Philly and Pittsburgh as well, both seem to have a lot going on. I am curious if they feel very different from each other (one being core northeast and the other being midwest)

I have never been to Miami or Jacksonville, but it seems to me like the differences must be primarily cultural. I mean most of FL has the same geography, climate, beach setting, etc. Whereas L.A. and San Francisco are very different culturally as well as physically.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I voted for Miami and Jacksonville. Miami's economy relies primarily on tourism and trade, while Jacksonville's economy relies primarily on industry and the military. Miami is seen as exciting while Jacksonville is seen as boring. Miami has international appeal while Jacksonville has to fight for even domestic appeal. Miami is hip-hop like Trick Daddy and T-Pain while Jacksonville is hard rock like Limp Bizkit and Shinedown. Everybody seems to find Miami more appealing, but ironically, having been both places, Jacksonville strikes me as more livable than Miami.

Dallas and Houston seem the most similar to me.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I think in order of most different:

1) LA/San Francisco (since San Jose and the rest of the Bay isnt on here, I left it out)- One is centralized and the other is sprawled. The attitude of the people in San Francisco is also very different than LA. Demographically, there are some differences as well. LA has more of Hispanic feel whereas San Francisco has a more Asian feel. They simply feel nothing alike.

2) Miami/Jacksonville- These two are also very, very different. Jacksonville feels like a very southern city, Miami feels like a Latin city. Jacksonville sprawls more than Miami, but Miami is multi polar from a metro area standpoint. Miami is much more urban.

3) Philly/Pittsburgh- I dont have as much experiance with Pittsburgh (Ive only been once), but Ive been to Philly a number of times. These two also dont feel much alike. Philly is a Northeastern city and feels like it 100%. Its urban, gritty, has a simi-European feel. Pittsburgh has a rustbelt feel.

4) Houston/DFW- These two are more similar to the others even though they do have differences. Houston is the center of its metro, DFW has no center. Houston is slightly more urban than Dallas, but its not a drastic difference. DFW is almost exactly 10 years behind Houston demographically. The latest census results really point that out. The demographics of Houston in 2000 were extremely similar to what DFW came to be in 2010. Both are extremely sprawled.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 02-26-2011 at 06:57 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 AM

92 posts, read 180,221 times
Miami and Jacksonville. Cultural difference. Miami is seen as a latin/caribbean city in FL, having that feel. While Jacksonville is called a redneck city, country, boring...(just telling what i heard, these aren't my words)

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,060,777 times
I dont get this thread at all - why make a thread asking the differences and then stating you included 2 prominent cities, except Florida which you chose to 2 most unalike cities? The answer is without a doubt Jacksonville and Miami but you knew this when creating the thread in the way you set it up? You should've done Miami/Tampa

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani NC View Post
Miami and Jacksonville. Cultural difference. Miami is seen as a latin/caribbean city in FL, having that feel. While Jacksonville is called a redneck city, country, boring...(just telling what i heard, these aren't my words)
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City