Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i feel somewhat guilty about reviving a thread that appears to be dead for 3 years. however, i read through it and was surprised by one thing: seems like every city in the midwest was named except the one that Chicago has the closest relationship with, the only one that is "in the neighborhood": Milwaukee.

and, it is my assessment as a Chicagoan, I think i many ways, the relationship is a close one. We kid each other (cheeseheads, flatlanders), but it is in jest. and i don't really see animosity. in fact, the two are pulling together as one metro area.

and many of us in Chicago and the suburbs like Milwaukee's size and accessibility. at this very moment, there are endless numbers of us up at Summerfest which we would readily admit there is nothing like it back in Chicago (Taste of Chicago is not the same type of thing)

IMHO, i think that our relationship with Milwaukee proves that we are connected with our surroundings.
I agree with you. My brother lives in Chicago, and he and his family drive up to Milwaukee several times during the summer to spend a day (or the week-end). They love the summer festivals, the lakefront, and the city itself. They particularly love the east side of Milwaukee and the Third Ward...very impressed by these neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
You see Chicagoans vacationing all over the Midwest. There isn't much o do in Illinois so you see alot of them in Wisconsin and Michigan.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You see Chicagoans vacationing all over the Midwest. There isn't much o do in Illinois so you see alot of them in Wisconsin and Michigan.
Very true, they also spend a week in Door County every summer, and week-ends in Lake Geneva.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I agree with you. My brother lives in Chicago, and he and his family drive up to Milwaukee several times during the summer to spend a day (or the week-end). They love the summer festivals, the lakefront, and the city itself. They particularly love the east side of Milwaukee and the Third Ward...very impressed by these neighborhoods.
do you have idea how many of those lofts in converted warehouses to riverfront condos (with berths for boats) in the Third Ward are owned by Chicagoans?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Chicagoans know Wisconsin much better than they do the portions of IL outside the metro area. In state, we don't tend to do a lot. Certainly Galena. Also Starved Rock. Our biggest connection to downstate is probably Champaign Urbana where a certain university is in some ways an extension of Chicagoland, the place where the vast majority of its students come from. Of course, Chicago suburban kids are also very much at home in places like Iowa City, Bloomington, and Madison, often there in droves.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Very true, they also spend a week in Door County every summer, and week-ends in Lake Geneva.
Those, and many more, too. How about the Dells? Tends to be overrun with Chicagoans. It's far more a resort from Chgo & Milw than any other city. Mpls-StP is about the same distance from the Dells as Chicago, but sends far fewer tourists there.

The very scenic areas of northern Wisconsin and the northern end of the LP in Michigan are real draws for Chicagoans. As is Harbor Country on Michigan's southeast coast. (and, yes, we do consider it more coast than shore)

Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
do you have idea how many of those lofts in converted warehouses to riverfront condos (with berths for boats) in the Third Ward are owned by Chicagoans?
I do - lots of them. Gotta love the Third Ward.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Those, and many more, too. How about the Dells? Tends to be overrun with Chicagoans. It's far more a resort from Chgo & Milw than any other city. Mpls-StP is about the same distance from the Dells as Chicago, but sends far fewer tourists there.

The very scenic areas of northern Wisconsin and the northern end of the LP in Michigan are real draws for Chicagoans. As is Harbor Country on Michigan's southeast coast. (and, yes, we do consider it more coast than shore)

LOTS of Chicagoans in the Minocqua area.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
You're kidding, right?
Detroit cannot stand up to Chicago in terms of its buildings. However, in terms of culture, that is a different issue. While Chicago has built some great museums, the city of Chicago has not made an impact on the world or American Popular culture any more than Detroit. It is Detroit that gave the world the automobile, the assembly line, Motown Music, electronic music, and Modernism. So Detroit and Detroiters are secure with their city's history and contributions to human civilization. Many other cities cannot say the same. For those who think badly of Detroit, ask yourself, what has your city given to human civilization? Detroit raises its head up high and can answer that question. Can your city??

Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
People in the Twin Cities usually head to the Minnesota north woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City