Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times

Advertisements

Chicago could easily be in the northeast, the city just offers so much diversity , I was just at the mall today and I would break it down like this 50% Hispanics 30% Asian(including Indians) 15% white(including Italians) and 5% middle easterners...also the drivers are much different, Midwestern drivers are slow, hesitate don't take risks, Chicago drivers are speeders change lanes constantly, know how to merge and there are much more weavers in Chicago then any other city in the Midwest. The beaches are fantastic in Chicago but they do get a little crowded...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Chicago could easily be in the northeast, the city just offers so much diversity , I was just at the mall today and I would break it down like this 50% Hispanics 30% Asian(including Indians) 15% white(including Italians) and 5% middle easterners...also the drivers are much different, Midwestern drivers are slow, hesitate don't take risks, Chicago drivers are speeders change lanes constantly, know how to merge and there are much more weavers in Chicago then any other city in the Midwest. The beaches are fantastic in Chicago but they do get a little crowded...
What mall was this? The breakdown you post is not a typical neighborhood in Chicago.

Chicagoans drive slow! The streets are busy so people have to be cautious. Toll way traffic moves pretty good but the expressway traffic heading toward the circle is very slow many times doesn't go 55.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
detroit cannot stand up to chicago in terms of its buildings. However, in terms of culture, that is a different issue. While chicago has built some great museums, the city of chicago has not made an impact on the world or american popular culture any more than detroit. It is detroit that gave the world the automobile, the assembly line, motown music, electronic music, and modernism. So detroit and detroiters are secure with their city's history and contributions to human civilization. Many other cities cannot say the same. For those who think badly of detroit, ask yourself, what has your city given to human civilization? Detroit raises its head up high and can answer that question. Can your city??
+1 +1 +1

People on this site always fail to give credit where it's due when comparing ANYTHING to their precious four (NYC, SF, Chicago, and Boston) because they think these cities are miles ahead of every other city in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY.

Quote:
Wait, what!?!?
In Michigan doing 80-85 mph on the freeway is keeping up with traffic. I wouldn't really call Midwestern drivers slow, where in the Midwest have you been??? And Chicago traffic is horrible, their freeways are OFTEN congested.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Too bad Minneapolis is king of the Mid-west.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What mall was this? The breakdown you post is not a typical neighborhood in Chicago.

Chicagoans drive slow! The streets are busy so people have to be cautious. Toll way traffic moves pretty good but the expressway traffic heading toward the circle is very slow many times doesn't go 55.
Woodfeild mall, and are you kidding about the driving your ridiculous, the flow of traffic on the 290 today was 75-80.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
+1 +1 +1

People on this site always fail to give credit where it's due when comparing ANYTHING to their precious four (NYC, SF, Chicago, and Boston) because they think these cities are miles ahead of every other city in EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY.

Wait, what!?!?
In Michigan doing 80-85 mph on the freeway is keeping up with traffic. I wouldn't really call Midwestern drivers slow, where in the Midwest have you been??? And Chicago traffic is horrible, their freeways are OFTEN congested.
Yeah Michigan drivers are no where near as aggressive as Chicago drivers...lol if you say otherwise I suggest you watch a video if you keep it up.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM

103 posts, read 259,894 times
I went to a small college in arkansas and just about half of the student population was from chicago. I will admit I can always tell who is from chicago. From the way they dress and talk as well, but one thing I will say is Honestly everybody I have met from chicago claims the mid west. They say they are from the mid wewst, but also say they have the best city in the mid west whih I can see that. Being from Knasas City chicago is different obviously and different from other mid west cities by far, but they are mid westwern. I listen to hip hop and there is a song call mid west chopers with rappers from most mid west cities and known rappers at that or lupe fiasco has a so I'm from a city in the mid west best city in the whole wide world. So I hear them claim the midwest, but they think they live in the best city in the world and the mid west nothing worng with thinking that.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Woodfeild mall, and are you kidding about the driving your ridiculous, the flow of traffic on the 290 today was 75-80.
Woodfield Mall is in Shaumberg (excuse the spelling) not Chicago!

290 towards the suburbs was not 70 and 80. 65 to 70 at best and if you read my post toll ways are a bit faster than the expressways heading towards the circle.

If you've driven around Detroit at all or even the 44 or 270 around St. Louis you would know better.

I would agree with you that the pace of life with the "get it done" mentality is unique to Chicago outside of the East coast. Especially the way Chicago walks and talks) but i would not say it's East coast like. Every time I visit a southern city I get frustrated with the slow service. I leave with the idea doesn't anyone move with urgency.

In the city of Chicago expressway driving is slow and aggravating without the congestion.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 07-08-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Detroit cannot stand up to Chicago in terms of its buildings. However, in terms of culture, that is a different issue. While Chicago has built some great museums, the city of Chicago has not made an impact on the world or American Popular culture any more than Detroit. It is Detroit that gave the world the automobile, the assembly line, Motown Music, electronic music, and Modernism. So Detroit and Detroiters are secure with their city's history and contributions to human civilization. Many other cities cannot say the same. For those who think badly of Detroit, ask yourself, what has your city given to human civilization? Detroit raises its head up high and can answer that question. Can your city??
Outstanding post! You totally beat me to this, as I was going to post just about this.

When it comes to popular musical heritage, particularly African American musical heritage, there's no question.

Its obvious that in our current generation, Chicago is the amazing, world class city, but in terms of how the cities CHANGED American life, I just don't see how anyone can argue that Detroit wins this one.

Blues was a niche musical interest. BB King and Muddy Waters might as well be some obscure jazz musician, but in the 60s motown was huge, and one can draw a line from But EVERY teenager in 1967 probably had a motown record

And yes the car and the assembly line changed American life. Chicago on the other hand, its biggest industry was basically sausage making.

Despite all the problems of Detroit, there is something underlyingly (if thats a word) SEXY about a city that gave Americans and the world two very sexy things: Automobiles that allowed a boy and girl/man and woman steal away to somewhere more private under the auspices of family and community like never before,

and soul music that could get us in a romantic mood like nothing ever before.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm too curious about where this is. I really can't think of anywhere in Chicagoland where walking around the mall would be 50% hispanic and 30% Asian together.

I don't even think there is anywhere in Chicagoland that is that high in Asian. I always thought that Oak Brook might have the largest Asian %, but even there its not quite 25%.

And the areas where there's a high Asian% are not the same with a high hispanic%. But I could see a few areas where the malls might be 50% hispanic, for example North Riverside mall (close to Cicero and Berwyn). (What mall is closest to Franklin Park, Northlake, Des Plaines, etc. around O'Hare? That might possible be 50% hispanic too.

Also how would you know who is Italian-American?? Sure on average they look different than white Americans of other backgrounds but still, unless you ask you wouldn't know. Besides other midwest cities have a high % of Italian Americans, most notable Cleveland.

Sure, Chicago may have an edge when it comes to diversity over other midwest cities, but other midwest metro areas, metro Detroit (largest Arab population in the country), greater Cleveland (Italian and eastern European heritage similar to Chicagoland but scaled down), Twin Cities (significant Asian and sub-Sah African) also have significant diversity too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City