Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, I'm too curious about where this is. I really can't think of anywhere in Chicagoland where walking around the mall would be 50% hispanic and 30% Asian together.
Well it's a mall. Malls are inherently designed to attract people from several different areas (usually suburbs). And it's such a massive mall that it definitely could draw from suburbs with both high Hispanic and high Asian populations. Schaumburg itself has a fairly high Asian population if I remember correctly. So while anecdotal, it's not outside of the realm of possibility. It's been a good while since I've been to Schaumburg but I do remember Woodfield Mall hosting a highly diverse range of patrons.

Quote:
I don't even think there is anywhere in Chicagoland that is that high in Asian. I always thought that Oak Brook might have the largest Asian %, but even there its not quite 25%.
Morton Grove I thought was the suburb with the highest Asian percentage at 28% Also obviously Armour Square (Chinatown) which is 72% Asian.

Morton Grove, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Armour Square, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skokie I think is up there too.

Quote:
And the areas where there's a high Asian% are not the same with a high hispanic%. But I could see a few areas where the malls might be 50% hispanic, for example North Riverside mall (close to Cicero and Berwyn). (What mall is closest to Franklin Park, Northlake, Des Plaines, etc. around O'Hare? That might possible be 50% hispanic too.

Also how would you know who is Italian-American?? Sure on average they look different than white Americans of other backgrounds but still, unless you ask you wouldn't know. Besides other midwest cities have a high % of Italian Americans, most notable Cleveland.

Sure, Chicago may have an edge when it comes to diversity over other midwest cities, but other midwest metro areas, metro Detroit (largest Arab population in the country), greater Cleveland (Italian and eastern European heritage similar to Chicagoland but scaled down), Twin Cities (significant Asian and sub-Sah African) also have significant diversity too.
Yeah, I'm not super familiar with Chicagoland but I've never seen anything compared to what I've seen in Los Angeles. The suburb where I work (Alhambra) is 55% Asian and about 35% Hispanic and 10% white.

Last edited by Bluefox; 07-09-2013 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Possibly Blues as a whole, but it began in the Mississippi Delta, (all those Chicago Blues guys grew up in rural Mississippi) and then popularized/"rockified" by white British Invasion bands/musicians (Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc.) Chicago had a hold on the Blues scene only for a very short term in the 1950s.

Whereas one Motown WAS the center of soul and R&B. One can draw a straight line from Motown to Michael Jackson to contemporary R&B artists.
And Motown didn't "invent" soul - there was northern soul throughout the Upper Midwest and East Coast, and tons of southern labels like Stax in Memphis (Otis Redding, Booker T, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave). Motown is a record label, not a genre. Chicago blues was distinct and far more influential on the world scene (Howlin Wolf/Muddy Waters enormous impact on rnr) than Motown. I'm a fan of both, but like I said previously, you are overstating Motown in both impact and uniqueness, and heavily understating the blues. I'm on your side, though - because of what's happened to Detroit over the past few decades it's become a punchline and people forget that it was at one time one of the great American cities from economic to cultural impact.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well it's a mall. Malls are inherently designed to attract people from several different areas (usually suburbs). And it's such a massive mall that it definitely could draw from suburbs with both high Hispanic and high Asian populations. Schaumburg itself has a fairly high Asian population if I remember correctly. So while anecdotal, it's not outside of the realm of possibility. It's been a good while since I've been to Schaumburg but I do remember Woodfield Mall hosting a highly diverse range of patrons.

Morton Grove I thought was the suburb with the highest Asian percentage at 28% Also obviously Armour Square (Chinatown) which is 72% Asian.

Morton Grove, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Armour Square, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skokie I think is up there too.

Yeah, I'm not super familiar with Chicagoland but I've never seen anything compared to what I've seen in Los Angeles. The suburb where I work (Alhambra) is 55% Asian and about 35% Hispanic and 10% white.
OK, yeah, I was thinking more of the actual urban ethnic enclaves of Chinatown, Argyle Street, and Devon Ave.

I didn't know Morton Grove was that high, I guess I learned something!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
And Motown didn't "invent" soul - there was northern soul throughout the Upper Midwest and East Coast, and tons of southern labels like Stax in Memphis (Otis Redding, Booker T, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave). Motown is a record label, not a genre. Chicago blues was distinct and far more influential on the world scene (Howlin Wolf/Muddy Waters enormous impact on rnr) than Motown. I'm a fan of both, but like I said previously, you are overstating Motown in both impact and uniqueness, and heavily understating the blues. I'm on your side, though - because of what's happened to Detroit over the past few decades it's become a punchline and people forget that it was at one time one of the great American cities from economic to cultural impact.
You're right, Chicago Blues had the biggest influence on rock and roll.

Motown had the big influence on Pop/Top 40.

I used to be more into classic rock, still am, but feel some of the "ladies man" qualities of soul/R&B could rub off on me.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
That Chicago is not the only city in the Midwest where people drive fast and often times reckless. Like one of the posters said "If you have driven around Detroit at all or some parts of St. Louis you would know better". But Chicago traffic is the worst (in the Midwest).

I can't really speak for Ohio, I'm used to driving in Michigan (mostly Detroit).
Are you insane, your comparing Chicago drivers to St. Louis drivers. OMG

Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Are you insane, your comparing Chicago drivers to St. Louis drivers. OMG

Your completely missing my point. First of all that quote was from another poster and that wasn't even really a comparison. Second of all, the point I was trying to make was that Chicago is not the only city in the Midwest where people drive fast and reckless.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Your completely missing my point. First of all that quote was from another poster and that wasn't even really a comparison. Second of all, the point I was trying to make was that Chicago is not the only city in the Midwest where people drive fast and reckless.
The fact that you go on Google images to find a picture about my post is quit funny...anyways I asked you to sum it up in which I thought you were agreeing with him. Also st. Louis drivers don't drive fast, are you serious, come on last time I went there it was like 55mph the whole way to my destination-_-

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 PM

406 posts, read 768,452 times
Quote:
yea, I'd have to disagree

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
1. In 1886 Carl Benz made the first automobile. He was from Germany. I won't use the word "ironically", because it isn't ironic, but Eisenhower also got the idea for an American freeway system from the (Nazi) Germans.

2. Detroit never made assembly line cars that kicked off the "everyone can own a car in America" mindset that still seems to resonate today. The suburbs of Detroit handle(d) that.

3. I lost my virginity nine (9) years before I got married... in the backseat of a mass produced automobile. So, hooray to Detroit's cultural legacy!... and for the premarital sex and unplanned pregnancies that ensued!
??? explain

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Not only that, but the blues was a far more important and popular contribution to music than Motown. It's true that Detroit has added (and continues to add) much to our nation's culture, and that this is often forgotten in the rush to point fingers at its decay, but let's not overdo it here.
in what universe has blues been more important and influential that Motown (basically the beginning of Pop culture)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City