Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
=mas23;15480759]No, come on. Anyone who is from the south side or is even familiar with it knows that it's NOT all a wreck and Most of it does NOT look like detroit. Is it dangerous? sure and it has some really bad issues But MOST of it is not dilapitated unless you go to certain neighborhoods.
The southside is more dense than Detroit, but he does have a point. Where do most people visit or move to when they come to Chicago? Downtown and the northside. Ironically, the southside was consider the wealthier side long time ago. What is really telling is how the northside almost has the same population as the southside with less than the twice the land area. The Northside has nearly 1.1 million residents in roughly 59 sq miles(minus O'hare and the near northside). Compare that to the southside with 50,000-100,000 more people covering 120-134 sq. miles.

Quote:
Anyways, I never understand why people think chicago is the only thing the midwest has to offer, there is plnty to do in the other cities
Agree with you there. I think the Twin-Cities are unique. They have the largest Somali and Hmong population. Its arguably more integrated and safer than Chicago.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-15-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:53 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
The rest of the midwest holds its own just fine against Chicago. We're talking about nine or so major metropolitan areas plus an array of smaller cities. I don't perceive much of an inferiority complex within these cities because they are sufficiently large enough to compete with the biggest cities.

However, I think Chicago does have a significant superiority complex specifically towards other cities in the Midwest, and I've experienced this first hand. This is, for me, its biggst overall detriment. As someone mentioned, this is more of an issue with people who are actually from there and have failed to leave their insular bubble.

Larger cities are not necessarily better by default. Why does every city have to be a global city? Every city can't be Los Angeles. Are cities not significant enough if you aren't able to get sushi at 3 am? Perhaps to city geeks like us, yes, but not so much for others.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
I have to agree with this thread. I have PLENTY of family in Chicago and its suburbs. To an extent people in Chicago do come off as having a superiority complex towards the rest of the midwest, especially Detroit. For some reason a lot of Chicagoans do tend to down Detroit in order to boost Chicago. I don't know why, but I've definitely come across those type in the city. Even some of my family have that type of attitude. Me personally, I love Chicago but it doesn't change the fact that I love Detroit as well. No matter how much better off Chicago is than Detroit, Detroit is home and sometimes I have to make that point known to my family. I also will say this as well. When I go to Chicago I don't go as a tourist. I go to the southside or the westside to visit family. So to some degree I don't get the hype about the city. Like I said, I love Chicago but at the same time most people who are not from the city only see one side. They tend to only go to the norhtside or downtown. So when people from different cities boast about Chicago and down the rest of the midwest I really don't understand that. More than likely they haven't ventured out to the rest of the city. IMO all midwestern cities need to get it together. When they talk about crime, blight, unemployment etc most of the cities be midwestern cities.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
Also the thing about Chicagoans not moving to other midwestern cities is not true. Even here in Detroit I've come across a couple of Chicago people.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:21 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The southside is more dense than Detroit, but he does have a point. Where do most people visit or move to when they come to Chicago? Downtown and the northside. Ironically, the southside was consider the wealthier side long time ago. What is really telling is how the northside almost has the same population as the southside with less than the twice the land area. The Northside has nearly 1.1 million residents in roughly 59 sq miles(minus O'hare and the near northside). Compare that to the southside with 50,000-100,000 more people covering 120-134 sq. miles.

Agree with you there. I think the Twin-Cities are unique. They have the largest Somali and Hmong population. Its arguably more integrated and safer than Chicago.
yeah it more denser housing there. The south side is largely single family dwellings and two/three flats.

And yes seems like when people talk about diversity they only give chicago as an example for the midwest but they fail to realize that Detroit has like the largest percentage of arabs, and and the twin cities having the largest somali and hmong populations.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I have to agree with this thread. I have PLENTY of family in Chicago and its suburbs. To an extent people in Chicago do come off as having a superiority complex towards the rest of the midwest, especially Detroit. For some reason a lot of Chicagoans do tend to down Detroit in order to boost Chicago. I don't know why, but I've definitely come across those type in the city. Even some of my family have that type of attitude. Me personally, I love Chicago but it doesn't change the fact that I love Detroit as well. No matter how much better off Chicago is than Detroit, Detroit is home and sometimes I have to make that point known to my family. I also will say this as well. When I go to Chicago I don't go as a tourist. I go to the southside or the westside to visit family. So to some degree I don't get the hype about the city. Like I said, I love Chicago but at the same time most people who are not from the city only see one side. They tend to only go to the norhtside or downtown. So when people from different cities boast about Chicago and down the rest of the midwest I really don't understand that. More than likely they haven't ventured out to the rest of the city. IMO all midwestern cities need to get it together. When they talk about crime, blight, unemployment etc most of the cities be midwestern cities.
that is true. Its a little annoying when people say something like " well violence is only concentrated in a few areas. The rest is just fine!"

Last edited by mas23; 08-15-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
No, come on. Anyone who is from the south side or is even familiar with it knows that it's NOT all a wreck and Most of it does NOT look like detroit. Is it dangerous? sure and it has some really bad issues But MOST of it is not dilapitated unless you go to certain neighborhoods.

Anyways, I never understand why people think chicago is the only thing the midwest has to offer, there is plnty to do in the other cities

/thread
I completely agree haha. I don't know why I generalized it as I always defend the fact that not all of the south side is like what the media makes it out to be.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
that is true. Its a little annoying when people say something like " well violence is only concentrated in a few areas. The rest is just fine!"
That tired statement annoys me too. Its way more than just a few areas.

Chicago, IL Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Chicago - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 PM

38 posts, read 135,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
That tired statement annoys me too. Its way more than just a few areas.

Chicago, IL Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Chicago - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Yeah, I never understood why people try and rationalize like that. I suppose, to get technical, there's probabaly MORE crime in certain areas than there are in others in any given city, but... unless you're a millionaire and live in a gated community you're never going to escape it if you live in the city.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,923 times
From what I can see in St. Louis, is that it seems like over time people here think less about Chicago one way or the other. I don't know if it is due to cultural focal points shifting or whatnot. Although I do note that any negativity towards the area is much stronger on the Illinois side of the river, this is likely due to the whole Chicago area/rest of state issues that pop up often. It is interesting is how many political ads tend to play on this theme from both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City