Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 AM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
I agree that the positives far outweigh the negatives for parts of the Los Angeles area. I dont think LA should have been on that list. But Los Angeles does have air and water pollution problems.

The other cities on the list, I agree with though for some of the most miserable/depressing places to live in the USA, but maybe not Miami.

This list is a good example that sunny+hot temperatures doesnt = happiness, such as with EL Centro, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. Sunny and warm weather can be nice but theres so much more to life than just that. El Centro, Yuma, Phoenix, and Las Vegas seem like very depressing places to me, even though I can like sunshine and warm temperatures. I feel like I get enough sunny and moderate/ warm temperatures where I live right now in Seattle/Pacific Northwest.

Arizona and Nevada are also ranked in the top 5 for most depressed, most suicidal, and most crime out of all states in America.
Why do you feel like Phoenix "seems like very depressing" to you? By what criteria? Do you live here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why do you feel like Phoenix "seems like very depressing" to you? By what criteria? Do you live here?

She comes from Seattle which has the highest suicide rate because of Seasonal Affective Disorder. People up there get extremely depressed because of the cold gloomy rainy weather almost all year. So if you want to talk about "depressing places" then Phoenix shouldn't be there.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Phoenix is a bland city, but I don't think that should qualify it as a worst place to live. Surely there are worse things than affordable and boring?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
She comes from Seattle which has the highest suicide rate because of Seasonal Affective Disorder. People up there get extremely depressed because of the cold gloomy rainy weather almost all year. So if you want to talk about "depressing places" then Phoenix shouldn't be there.

If you are fan of dense urban cities, and you don't like extreme heat, then I could see how one could find Phoenix depressing. The rubes that insist that sun=happiness have obviously never stepped outside when its 110 in the shade.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-06-2010 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post

If you are fan of dense urban cities, and you don't like extreme heat, then I could see how one could find Phoenix depressing. The rubes that insist that sun=happiness have obviously never stepped outside when its 110 in the shade.
I'm not sure if anyone being a fan of dense urban cities and not liking extreme heat necessarily equates to finding Phoenix depressing. That's just a generalization and I also wouldn't call Phoenix depressing because of a lack of things to do because that is simply not true. BTW, the people who insist that 110 in the shade feels like the end of the earth have perhaps never spent much time in either Phoenix or another city where the humidity level is high. There is a HUGE difference between 110 in the shade in Phoenix and 90 degrees with humidity.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-06-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Why is OK City on that list, what makes it horrible?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Wow, there are some really popular cities on that List.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Lol Miami is a better place to live than Los Angeles . It's pretty typical that they would both be on the list, 2 of the most bashed major cities in the country imo.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lol Miami is a better place to live than Los Angeles . It's pretty typical that they would both be on the list, 2 of the most bashed major cities in the country imo.
Don't be ridiculous, Miami isn't bashed as much as Boise, Idaho So many people are jealous of that place

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
^ I hope thats sarcasm lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City